Help setting up trailer

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
Duff0113
Southern Airboat Member

Help setting up trailer

Postby Duff0113 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:04 am

Trying to change my trailer up a bit and would like to know what some others have as far as trailer setups. I'm replacing the bunks on it right now. However I want to set it up to be able to load it from dry ground with the winch at least. I think with a dovetail and/or a couple rollers I should be good but I'm concerned at the height of the rear of the trailer frame. I'm thinking a drop axle would put it too low. I've got 3 leafs on each side, could I remove one leaf on each to soften them up so the trailer will squat a little? Pics or measurements of your trailer rear would be great to help me here. Thanks.
Attachments
IMG_0350.JPG
Currently how it sits

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: Help setting up trailer

Postby jeepinocala1111 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:18 pm

Duff0113 wrote:Trying to change my trailer up a bit and would like to know what some others have as far as trailer setups. I'm replacing the bunks on it right now. However I want to set it up to be able to load it from dry ground with the winch at least. I think with a dovetail and/or a couple rollers I should be good but I'm concerned at the height of the rear of the trailer frame. I'm thinking a drop axle would put it too low. I've got 3 leafs on each side, could I remove one leaf on each to soften them up so the trailer will squat a little? Pics or measurements of your trailer rear would be great to help me here. Thanks.

You could help a bit by raising the trailer hitch on your truck so that it is on a slight wheelie that will bring the back down a bit them put smaller wheels to lower it a bit.

AceNtheHole
Southern Airboat Member

Postby AceNtheHole » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:15 pm

On my old boat I had not only rollers on the dove tail, but also rollers about 3 feet up from the back of the trailer. They were welded to a bar which traversed the trailer from side to side, with a lever on the port side of the trailer. Whether launching or recovering the boat, just engage the lever and the two long rollers would lift up a few inches from between the bunks, and lift the boat. It would roll freely either way. Then disengage the lever when ready to trailer. I had a Palm Beach hull and the guy I bought it from used to almost always dry launch the boat. Worked well.

Dirtman
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Dirtman » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:43 pm

Just looking at the pic that you posted it looks as if just a dovetail at the rear would be enough to dry load. If you wanted to put a roller at the point where the dovetail attached to the trailer it would help as the hull went up onto the trailer but not sure if that is really necessary. JMO
IO520 on a 12"6" Lazer with a 72" Q #20814
Build in progress: 14x7'9" JB w/ GSO540 &80" Razor

Duff0113
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Duff0113 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:24 pm

Dirtman wrote:Just looking at the pic that you posted it looks as if just a dovetail at the rear would be enough to dry load. If you wanted to put a roller at the point where the dovetail attached to the trailer it would help as the hull went up onto the trailer but not sure if that is really necessary. JMO

That is kind of what I was thinking. Two 12" rollers right at the crown of the trailer back and dovetail.

Duff0113
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Duff0113 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:26 pm

[quote="jeepinocala1111"
You could help a bit by raising the trailer hitch on your truck so that it is on a slight wheelie that will bring the back down a bit them put smaller wheels to lower it a bit.[/quote]

It's got 13" wheels on it now. I tried out some 12" and it didn't lower it hardly any difference since there's only about 3" total difference in their diameters. I was disappointed haha

gator7272
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby gator7272 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:12 am

What is your tongue weight like? The axle looks set back pretty far. I would look into a drop axle as well, you can choose from different drop distances..........
11.5 X 7.5 Alumitech
2.0 Ecotec LTG
2.38:1 Ballistic
3 Blade Whirlwind 2.0

Duff0113
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Duff0113 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:54 am

gator7272 wrote:What is your tongue weight like? The axle looks set back pretty far. I would look into a drop axle as well, you can choose from different drop distances..........

The weight on the tongue isn't actually too bad. It doesn't pull bad either. For what I got in the trailer I can't beat it.

Lwells
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Lwells » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:13 pm

I couldn't tell by the picture whether your hitch is on square tubing or not but if it is, have you thought about taking your hitch off and putting it on a piece of square channel and then mounting the square channel so its under the tube you took your hitch from so you can pull a release and when your boat hits the back of the trailer your trailer will tilt and then just run it up on it and it will tilt back down as you go on and lock in place. This would be very easy to do.

Duff0113
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Duff0113 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:24 am

Not a bad idea

Return to “Airboat Tech”