I think I have a plan

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
RickMc
Southern Airboat Member

I think I have a plan

Postby RickMc » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:18 pm

Thanks for the replies on my earlier post . i have ordered some 5/16 Stingray UHMW and bolts from Mike at Polymer Systems. Then i have some wrap coming from camo4u. My hull is glass about a quarter inch thick .It had polymer on it at one time but someone removed it and put a thin layer of glass and some sort of slick stuff on. it had a bunch of resin runs and a speckled finish over that . So far I have sanded it with an orbital and 60 grit . It removed most of the runs and some dock rash . I realize some of the imperfections will show thru. But as long as I get all of the bubbles out will it hold up. got to go now but I still have a few more questions. Thanks Rick
The glass is always half full....til I get a hold of it

RickMc
Southern Airboat Member

Re: I think I have a plan

Postby RickMc » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:02 pm

I'm back ,company showed up.Wow it's different here. So, how do you think the vinyl wrap will go on at my current 60 grit finish ? I know some of the imperfections will show thru at close up inspection but isn't that part of the point of a mat finish camo pattern? My main concern is will it stick? I am also thinking about covering the gas tank. Will minor fuel spills eat the wrap?
My other questions are about the polymer. When drilling the holes is it better to drill the holes a little small so the bolts thread into the polymer and fiber glass,or looser? Should I hit the old holes or move the pattern ? Should I put a dab of silicone or some other sealant on each bolt?
Any tips , tricks or links to good threads or video will be appreciated Thanks Rick
The glass is always half full....til I get a hold of it

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Re: I think I have a plan

Postby terrible ted » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:43 pm

My bolts were tight and no leaks no sealer.

Return to “Airboat Tech”