Stringer material?

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
fletchster76
Southern Airboat Member

Stringer material?

Postby fletchster76 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:23 pm

Got a new baby on the way so I'm gonna convert my boat over to a more family friendly ride boat. I'm gonna change hulls to a 15' viking with rod boxes. I've had it in the back yard for awhile because it needs stringers. Has 2x4 stringers now. Any opinions on best wood/material to use, would like to keep weight down but want to do it right. I used the search feature but really didn't see anything within the last few years so I figured I'd ask.
13'6" Laser, 520 conversion, 72" 3 blade ngh

pontoon outlaw
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: Stringer material?

Postby pontoon outlaw » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:17 pm

My buddy's Boat we used just regular spruce 2x4's then wrapped them good in resin :)

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mojoe » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:32 pm

As long as the wood is not pressure treated you will be fine. The resin can't absorb into and bond to PT the same.

fletchster76
Southern Airboat Member

Postby fletchster76 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:39 am

Regular old spruce pine huh? That will make it cheap. I had heard a recommendation of cedar but I was dreading trying to find that in 2x4x12 and then what it would cost. Thanks for the info.
13'6" Laser, 520 conversion, 72" 3 blade ngh

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mojoe » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:05 pm

I will preface this with the fact that I am not an expert. Only done the stringers on one boat. We used 2x4 only for the 2 stringers that the angle iron for the rigging sat on. We used 1x4 for the rest. Saved a little weight. As for the type of wood, I can't remember if it was birch or pine, but it wasn't pressure treated and it was cheap. Ran that boat for 3+ years after doing the stringers and they were still rock solid when I sold it.

The key is getting the glass tight to the stringers with no air gaps and sealing all holes completely when you install the rigging.

Rounding off the top 2 edges of the wood before glassing helps with that.

Chicken Man
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Chicken Man » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:33 pm

Douglas fir tight grain and light.Don't remember cost,is a little hard to find. :scratch:

Lwells
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Lwells » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:41 pm

What way can you check stringers and to what extent is bad considered. Also, does a fiberglass boat have solid fiberglass bottom or is any wood used in between?

Return to “Airboat Tech”