thru hull transducer

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
Teal fun
Southern Airboat Member

thru hull transducer

Postby Teal fun » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:50 pm

Does anyone know if a transducer will shoot thru an aluminum hull?

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: thru hull transducer

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:29 pm

Shoot thru is limited to traditional fiberglass.

It will not shoot thru metal or thick sandwich type foamed glass like a Whaler.

Note: At least recreational technology does not at this date.

Lwells
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Lwells » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:36 pm

I took a depth transducer put it on the floor of my aluminum boat and it wouldn't read just setting there but I took my foot and put some pressure on it to the floor and it read. They have to be solid against the floor and I always heard it depended on the transducer, but I had a friend that ran a boat shop and he mounted them in all kinds of boat. He used epoxy to mount them solid against the floor but don't know what he used to hold it there till it set. This is a very controversial issue though and my book that came with the transducer said it wouldn't read thru aluminum .

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Gary S » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:20 am

Put enough water in the boat to submerge the transducer and try it. I doubt it will work on aluminum.

br,lc,LA
Southern Airboat Member

Postby br,lc,LA » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:12 pm

I did a small amount of research. There are some out there like Alumaducer that have the potential to work. But I never tried and I think there will be issues shooting thru the aluminum plus poly on the bottom of the boat.

Next option would be to rivet a sheet of poly on the transom and mount a transducer there... a location where it sits in the water when you idle and is at waterline when on step and dry ground is about boat bottom. They are mounted on bass boats similar to this all the time.
2016 American Airboat's AirRanger pushed by an Airboat Pros 2015 1.4L GM Ecotec... "Nothin' as Fine as Hearing a Turbo Whine"

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:38 pm

That Alumaducer is cool technology.

The conductive epoxy may be a big part of why it could work. Sort of like putting your foot on top of it, I would recommend that you also put a safety in place like zip ties or another restraint if the epoxy fails to keep it out of the prop.

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Gary S » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:41 am

If there is poly on the bottom I would bet money it will not work. The poly will trap air between the layers and that will screw up the signal. Air pockets in fiberglass will stop the signal.
The shoot thru hull transducers I have installed came with a mount that was glued inside to the bottom of the boat with silicone. I always used 3M 5200. The mount was then filled with glycol, which is antifreeze. Then the transducer went in there.

Lwells
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Lwells » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:13 pm

Like I said before, my buddy mounted the transducer in the bottom of the boats with epoxy. He claimed that as long as the transducer was solid against the aluminum that the boat bottom shows as a part of the top of water and aluminum bottom a part of the transducer casing but if there is a gap between the floor and transducer that it will reflect like it is the bottom of the river, lake,etc. Since aluminum is a conductor .. If the transducer is in a solid it reads the area below it. If there is space between the boat bottom and poly then since it is so close to the transducer it should just reflect as a gap in the top of the water under boat since transducer is now a part of the boat bottom and poly isn't a conductor. The only down fall to this setup that I see is a possible weaker signal but don't know. I just know my transducer read through my aluminum boat when held firmly against the bottom of boat but book said it wouldn't.

br,lc,LA
Southern Airboat Member

Postby br,lc,LA » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:35 pm

Uhmw has a very high impedence like an air pocket does. I dont think you shooting thru it. Signal strength even if it passed through would be weak. It shoots thru metal bc it is solid and conductive so signal passes easily. Water is conductive so signal passes easily. Bottom of lake dirt is resistive high impedence so signal doesnt pass...

Aka polymer is like the lake floor. Signal aint passing thru it will bounce back
2016 American Airboat's AirRanger pushed by an Airboat Pros 2015 1.4L GM Ecotec... "Nothin' as Fine as Hearing a Turbo Whine"

Teal fun
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Teal fun » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:21 am

Will do some testing. I'll keep you posted> Thanks

br,lc,LA
Southern Airboat Member

Postby br,lc,LA » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:41 am

Look forward to to it and if it works youve answered my questions too... I didnt want to spend the money on a high dollar gps/finder and transducer and it not work. Talk about being a mad individual, but it was on my list of additions for the boat to test out.

Lwells
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Lwells » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:19 am

My aluminum boat that I talked about above doesn't have polymer on the bottom so I can't swear to anything concerning it putting a signal thru the polymer , but I would think if it is in the water under the hull and attached with no major gap that the transducer would shoot thru it for some of them fiberglass hulls my buddy installed transducers in had flotation material between two bottoms and the transducer would work thru the flotation if flotation was solid in the area he installed it in but if not he had to cut an area out of the top part of the double bottom so he could mount the transducer on the bottom for it gave false readings shooting thru the two bottoms with a partial gap between them and above water. He did say that they tended to be a little weaker signal but wasn't that noticeable thru the two bottoms with flotation.

Return to “Airboat Tech”