My Next Airboat

Best airboat discussion on the internet.
airduds
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

My Next Airboat

Postby airduds » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:02 pm

Have to have 2 up and 3 down. Run only (mostly deep but the hill too) salt water. Going back to fiberglass and not car motor. I want to putt-putt over the dry stuff with no drama. Help me spec out my dream boat.
Owning an airboat is kind of like dating a stripper... you know it will end badly and you know it will cost you a lot of money... but the ride is sooo worth it!

OneBFC
Southern Airboat Member

Re: My Next Airboat

Postby OneBFC » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:38 pm

5 person AC boat that lives in salt water and needs to run dry and I assume cope with oysters occasionally?

Sounds like a GSO build to me. Maybe just a GO, but 5 people is a good bit of weight with a thick poly bottom too and high sides for open water.

This is pretty interesting requirements to me. I look forward to seeing what everyone recommends.

Hope you get more input on it!
-Russ
-----------------------------------
The only thing stopping you is FEAR
400hp Ecotec, 12x7.6 DBDO, 4B Falchon, 2.3 OX,70+mph, water = purely optional
Life begins at 2 BAR, Just a good ole boy

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby kwanjangnihm » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:57 pm

airduds wrote: Going back to fiberglass and not car motor

:salute: thats what I'm talkin bout bro!! :salute:
:rebel:
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:38 pm

Sounds to me like your describing a 16' Marty Bray, 3/8 Poly and the biggest AC motor you can stand.
If you're not familiar with Swamphunter45's boat, you should check it out. (boat not drivetrain)

I you were not talking new, and you could find a 15' Rivermaster like I have, that
would be an excellent choice as well. Not coincidently, that is almost the same difference.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

tampabayairboat
Southern Airboat Member

Postby tampabayairboat » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:53 pm

I run salt all the time and Alumitech built me an awesome boat. The 18' AGI hull rides incredible 3/4 deck over with a GM 376 FI 525hp. Runs dry no problem with a load and handles a heavy chop very well. 25 years airboating and 4 airboats later, I feel like a have the perfect combination for my needs.

airduds
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby airduds » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:02 pm

I want the rankest horizontally opposed six-cylinder engine I can get. Don't care how much of what kind of fuel it burns except I don't want to have to mix stuff. Only requirement is being able to run in a couple of minutes. Rather not spray it but won't rule it out. Maybe twin-turbo either one on each bank or two compounded. Just want something that will scald a dog and be just a little different.
Last edited by airduds on Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Owning an airboat is kind of like dating a stripper... you know it will end badly and you know it will cost you a lot of money... but the ride is sooo worth it!

airduds
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby airduds » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:06 pm

tampabayairboat wrote:I run salt all the time and Alumitech built me an awesome boat. The 18' AGI hull rides incredible 3/4 deck over with a GM 376 FI 525hp. Runs dry no problem with a load and handles a heavy chop very well. 25 years airboating and 4 airboats later, I feel like a have the perfect combination for my needs.
BTDT. Wanting to do something a little different. I had a gorgeous BBC 18' Alumitech. Only 18 yrs and 4 airboats here. :usa:

406 JAMIE
Southern Airboat Member

Postby 406 JAMIE » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:46 pm

if u really want to get off ur meds lmao go with gso 540 wide deck angle valave or like what drown water dave runs a 8cycl lycoming what a beast.i think those r 720ci and u would not have any problem but FUEL lmao runing dry fully loaded and then some lol lol. :rebel: :rebel:
Melbourne Mud Mafia Down And Dirty

airduds
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby airduds » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:44 am

Well, wife pushing back on the new build. She's probably right but what the hay. I don't care to go fast I just want to show my grandsons some fun. Have 3 aged 6 and under with a new one due next month.

Return to “Airboat Talk”