Old airboat, new driver, and problems

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
Duff0113
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Old airboat, new driver, and problems

Postby Duff0113 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:20 pm

If you go with the plan of rebuilding the junk yard motor the I would definitely change to a 383 stroker. If I were doing a basic 350 build I would pick up the motor that jegs has for sale, change cams and run it with whichever intake and carb I decide.
IMG_0637.PNG

StrongVet
Southern Airboat Member

Postby StrongVet » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:30 pm

Yeah, I'm going to talk to my builder tomorrow. He's got my engine cleaned and bored out 0.040". Gonna make a stroker build. Planning aluminum heads, stainless headers, mild roller cam, and steel drive shaft. Just trying to decide EFI vs Holley Carb. Need reliability above all else, then performance. Thoughts?
Gig'em! Fightin' Texas Aggie c/o 2003
Deus caritas est
Boat: n.1. a hole in the water into which you pour money; 2. an acronym that stands for "break out another thousand"

Duff0113
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Duff0113 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:49 am

Depends on how deep your pockets are. A carburetor is for the most part simplistic and if/when it decides to sink you don't have to worry about electronics and etc. however efi offers a wide range of tuning that is unmatched by anything else. I myself just vote for simple that way if something happens while you're out you have a better chance of fixing it to get you home.

StrongVet
Southern Airboat Member

Postby StrongVet » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:19 pm

UPDATE:
So the hull is ready and in my yard. The engine stand/cage/etc. is all welded and primed awaiting final coat. The engine. . . .

Ever since the BBC was pronounced "dead" I have been moving toward making this a stroker SBC build with reduction. But, I am at the point where I don't think that will happen without a significant investment of $$$ (I know - "welcome to airboating"). By that point I will be so upside-down in this boat that it's just not doable. However, I have found another BBC that I think I can make work and return the whole thing back to being a DD setup instead of adding reduction. So that's the direction I'm going to move. Back full circle!

So, if I go back to a DD BBC 454 setup, what's your favorite prop? I was thinking maybe a 68" 3-blade, maybe a 70"? Want to try to find one used that will work if possible. Thoughts?
Gig'em! Fightin' Texas Aggie c/o 2003
Deus caritas est
Boat: n.1. a hole in the water into which you pour money; 2. an acronym that stands for "break out another thousand"

Return to “Automotive Power Only”