ROGG - Another Nail is needed in it's Coffin

Best airboat discussion on the internet.
gladesman
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: ROGG - Another Nail is needed in it's Coffin

Postby gladesman » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:21 pm

Update on Where We are at on Ridding Ourselves of ROGG.

Check out Marsh Rider's new article out on ROGG

On Oct 1, 2015 at 4:00 pm I met on the 29th floor of the Miami Dade Government government center with the county's Deputy Mayor Michael Spring and parks dep't. chief Jack Kardys. This meeting scheduled for 30 minutes went for an hour 10 with two gladesman taking up about 20 or so minutes as pertinent information delivered also. Two tales from the swamp (Bobby C campfire emotionality and taking 90 minutes to kill a 14 foot python) I told were great and had them rolling with laughter - kind of like sitting around the campfire. The deputy mayor was really down to earth and even the parks guy who seemed pretty tense at first loosened up.

At one point the deputy mayor asked the park - How did we/you get into this? Answer The board of commissioners did a resolution of support. Then the deputy mayor said 'Well if that got us in another one can get us out. I then interjected - That sounds good to me.

At the end of the meeting the deputy said we have a decision to make - either stay in to exert control or get out.

Then on Oct 7 Betty Osceola met with Dade commissioner Daniella Cava who also had other departments invited one of which was another slightly lower level parks and rec person. Mention was made of the Naples Pathway Coalition (the origin of this bad idea) pulling their support out due to their board voting to get out. But NPS, that still has 1/2 million dollars from a different grant burning a hole in their pocket is still going to try to move ahead with a small group of hard heads that incorporated a group "Friends of the River of Grass Greenway". Some folks just can't take the hint. The good news at this meeting from the Dade parks and rec representative was that they declined when NPS asked them to manage the grant like they did for the feasibility study/ master plan.

We still have some work to do to kill this thing dead so hopefully some folks could move on short notice to attend a town hall meeting being arranged in Everglades City that I found out about today while speaking with Collier commissioner Tim Nance's office - I believe in November - I know that could be hunting season down here if it's after the 14th but sometimes we need to sacrifice to protect what we love and for sure ROGG threatens what remains of what we love..

We've already probably put in thousands of hours into stopping this if one considers all the comments, marches, events, news media personally guided tours of the whole ROGG route, hundreds of telecons, emails etc. etc. that have been done So, we can't let up on the pressure yet - not until this snake ain't wiggling a bit and the sun is down.

Gladesman

Oh and Marsh Rider has a great article about ROGG in their newest issue - really a good read.

Gladesman

gladesman
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby gladesman » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:07 pm

Just so everyone knows -

On Friday, February 10th, 2017 the Collier county Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) passed a resolution that will remove every speck of support from the county for the River of Grass Greenway (ROGG), specified that every document in the county be purged of it, specified to have it removed from special maps that set up future funding possibilities. They also permanently halted a 1.5 million dollar PD&E study that was on hold for ROGG and specified the remaining funds be redirected to more necessary projects in more urban areas of Collier.

Part of the reason they did what they did was that they finally understood the Feds NPS were behind this and took over the ROGG show by giving it a million bucks to do the scam feasibility study and gain control for their purposes. In fact shortly b4 the meeting the top collier MPO official spoke to the NPS lady and explained the county saw many problems with the plan - NPS's response was that they welcomed the Collier MPO's comments but the plan was Done. Now rhey know what we have known for years about NPS.

Seventy speakers who were signed up to speak against ROGG for 3 minutes each willingly gave up their time when asked to do so by MPO chairwoman so the board could vote to remove ROGG after the Miccusukee general counsel, Betty Osceola, Samuel Tommie and Bobbie C Billie spoke to the issue although the supporters that were in the room (maybe 6 out of 150 ) did speak.

It is hard to estimate the hours of effort and real sacrifice by many people that went into this historic victory but I'm comfortable with tens of thousands of hours at a minimum - For starters a march on foot for 75 miles of US 41 involving 100 people for 5 days (15 mile walk a day). Trail Lakes Campground out in Big C contributed their place for all to camp at for those 5 days for free. I would go on and on but it would take a 500 page book to explain all the creative things devised to kill this freedom robbing snake called ROGG.

I do believe it is over in Collier county for good and want to thank all who helped - u know who you are. That includes everyone even if they just spread the word on ROGG - every single ounce of effort was needed to accomplish what the County did last Friday.

Next stop for this anti-ROGG train is Miami Dade county's MPO sometime soon. The groundwork for that has begun to be laid. We will go for them to rescind all their resolutions giving ROGG a priority even though we know the parks and rec dep't. has been told to drop it a while back. We cannot leave any loose ends in the bowels of the government.

Here's a link to the Feb 10, 2017 MPO meeting I have reported on here - http://www.colliergov.net/your-governme ... eo-archive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx5N-4JvVyk - the smell of Victory

Gladesman

OneBFC
Southern Airboat Member

Postby OneBFC » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:29 pm

Without the efforts of people like you, we all would be far worse off and our kids much less likely to enjoy the "real" Florida as we do today. Even if what we have today pales to what we had in the past.

A sincere Thank You.
:proud: :salute:
-Russ
-----------------------------------
The only thing stopping you is FEAR
400hp Ecotec, 12x7.6 DBDO, 4B Falchon, 2.3 OX,70+mph, water = purely optional
Life begins at 2 BAR, Just a good ole boy

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby glades cat » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:38 am

Outstanding report, Frank. I'm glad Collier Co finally saw the real NPS bully tactics. Thank you for your untiring dedication to preserve the Gladesman culture and the land we enjoy. Glad to be a part of it.
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

Scotty1
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I
Location: ft white fla and former Naples fla cracker for 48 years

Postby Scotty1 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:30 am

:rebel: GOOD NEWS , THANK YOU GLADESMAN :rebel:

gladesman
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby gladesman » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:55 am

ROGG is the 1st program I've seen in 20+ years of my involvement in these issues that 100% united every interest group that cares about the woods and access from a highway to them in opposition to National Park Services's stealth US 41 takeover project (e.g. Hunters, fishers, Indigenous, environmentalists, historians, Collier MPO staff and it's elected officials etc. etc.)and work together in a unified efficient professional manner to chop the ROGG snake's head off.

What is scary is that ROGG was able to slowly and quietly build up a powerful head of steam over 10+ years prior to it's plan exposing how bad it would be for all traditional users of US 41/Tamiami Trail/SR 90.

We all need to be more vigilant - if anyone hears of odd FDOT highway projects like this that are hard to understand we need to generate interest more quickly to investigate how we may be effected. If we are impacted we should engage 100% immediately.

Beware of the Feds ALL the time.

Gladesman

gladesman
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby gladesman » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:23 am

Here is another small example of the types of innovations developed by an opponent named Nancy who lived in the jungles of Belize in her early days - a short video about ROGG one has to see to believe - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjaOSUl ... e=youtu.be

CHAKA
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CHAKA » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:17 pm

The Indian Tribal council in South Florida are claiming all rights as Calusa Indians. Which they are not,but only DNA testing in a court of law will solve this problem. They have been claiming the rights to Calusa artifacts along with being Calusa Indians. Kicking Bird.
Last edited by CHAKA on Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Member: A.P.E. Agency to Prevent Evil. Member: Wounded Warrior Alumni Iraq War. Where ever you go... You will always be there... and Death will always be your silent companion

gladesman
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby gladesman » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:51 pm

Chaka, not sure of how to interpret the post but one thing I know is that many old advesaries laid down their swords to work together as a team to defeat ROGG which promised harm to everyone traditionally associated with US 41 as a road we use as a disembarkation point from which to go into and come out of the woods to.

Participants understand that in the future we may have to butt heads but IMHO everyone will have a problem butting heads with former intensities due to the mutual respect gained by cooperating with one another to kill ROGG. I truly think the bonds developed will not be shattered easily.

CHAKA
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CHAKA » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:34 pm

Gladesman, thank you for all your hard work. Kicking Bird.
Member: A.P.E. Agency to Prevent Evil. Member: Wounded Warrior Alumni Iraq War. Where ever you go... You will always be there... and Death will always be your silent companion

Return to “Airboat Talk”