Pacemaker ignition system

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
cody_spencer
Southern Airboat Member

Pacemaker ignition system

Postby cody_spencer » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:30 pm

I've heard a lot of bad and a lot of good about the electronic ignition for aircraft motors, I have an a/v 200 and I'm thinking about getting it for my motor, can anyone give me more info about this subject and where I can buy it from?

pacemaker1
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Pacemaker ignition system

Postby pacemaker1 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:39 pm

Cody, I would be happy to answer any questions you may have concerning the ignition. You can call me at 407-709-1278 (Rodney) or 407-709-9578 (Daren). Otherwise I'm sure someone will chime in. Thanks.

BANANA BOAT
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby BANANA BOAT » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:20 pm

I saw the pacemaker Ignition on there step boat. I was very,very impressed.
I would like to get one for my boat, but Im in between fortunes again. :lol:

Sarahj
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Sarahj » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:10 pm

My friend has a pacemaker system on his 0-720. After years of mag problems and the boat only running right a few trips out of the year he replaced the mags with a pacemaker. The setup has been on the boat for almost 2 years and it has never run better. I have a 0-360 and if it was not for just putting new mags on it I would change in a heartbeat.

P.Vento
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby P.Vento » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:24 am

Pacemaker ignition is money we'll spent , good peice of mind knowing your gaining all the performance and efficiecency out of your engine, I have it on my motors, the only cplaints people say they have is you can hand prop it if your battery dies, but in the age of cell phones and people having motors with an average compression ratio of 10:1 who would risk the use of there hands doing that anyway, and moister doesn't effect that system like it does mags. It's a no brainier

newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby newoldglory » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:24 am

Rodney; can you give us an approximate cost? Do we replace one or both mags?
To open ones eyes, you must let them see!

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.

pacemaker1
Southern Airboat Member

Postby pacemaker1 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:48 pm

Last edited by pacemaker1 on Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

airflexinc
Southern Airboat Member

Postby airflexinc » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:59 pm

I have a GO 480. I have a gearbox,but no supercharger. What would be the cost if You install it ? Thank You

mrbill
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mrbill » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:21 pm

Please tell us more of what it will do for a sv 0540 with 8.5 to 1 pistons and a cam in it . What is needed to just make the motor stronger and faster and more hp..and what comes with the full kit like do the covers for where the mags were and ect

ratdees
Southern Airboat Member

Postby ratdees » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:53 pm

I love mine ten times better then mags an great guys do deal with

SkinnerBack
Southern Airboat Member

Postby SkinnerBack » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:43 pm

Cody I love my pacemaker on my new motor

pacemaker1
Southern Airboat Member

Postby pacemaker1 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:11 pm

Last edited by pacemaker1 on Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mwood7800
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mwood7800 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:33 pm

How hard to install ?

grey owl
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby grey owl » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:31 pm

I have reasonable knowledge of my 540 but am not a mechanic by any means, Rodney mailed my pacemaker ignition to me in Ontario. I did have him make my plug cables and it took me about 4 hours to put the system in.

I may miss something but basically:

1 remove mags and replace with cover plates provided.

2 remove prop and install the 7 trigger studs in the ring gear. you have to drill and tap one stud in the ring gear measurements' provided but the other 6 studs went in the existing ring gear holes. you just have to tap them for the studs.

3 drill and tap a hole in your carb to mount the vacuum line. I did it without taking the carb off but your choice. (fitings provided)

4 mount reluctor on crank case bolt on the top of the engine.

5 mount coil packs.

6 run power lead for ignition to power switch and ground for coil pack

7 run vacuum line from carb to controller

8 run plug cables.

9 set timing value in controller. very easy, remove cover from controller and twist dials inside controller and replace screw on controller.

10 mount controller.

11. replace prop and ring gear. gap the trigger studs.

12. turn power on and fire engine

I'm sure I missed something but that is the basic install.

I installed the system almost a year ago and have loved it since it went on. The main reason I went to electronic ignition was
for easier starting and dependability in cold weather and I love it. My concerns before I got it was cold temperature issues, reluctor interference from running in snow storms and power consumption I haven't had a single problem since it went on.
I haven't run an alternator till recently and must of my running is 20 minutes the shut down and restart. I do put a charger on my battery fairly often but less with the electronic ignition than when i was running mags because i start so much easier. I cant give you values for performance gain or improved fuel efficiency but will guarantee that you will start better hot and cold and there are gains in both.

hope this is useful,
cheers
will

twister69z
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby twister69z » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:25 pm

Anyone have a picture of the flywheel drilled? I have the tool to drill it . A picture or diagram would be nice.
Twister69z
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
If you don't have time to do it right the first time ,
Where are you going to get the time to do it a second time?

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mojoe » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:06 am

Did my first run with a Pacemaker on my SV 0-540 yesterday..... WOW! It felt like a different motor. WOT RPM (2800) didn't change, so I don't think it added top end power, but I almost never floor my boat anyway. Don't have to. It made a huge improvement right where I feel it most, mid range. The biggest improvement I felt was running dry (approx 2200RPM) and hitting a sticky spot. Just a little push on the gas and it would INSTANTLY break free and I would have to let off. The other noticeable change was cruise speed/RPM. I was cruising in inches of water, directly INTO a 15mph wind at 1900 rpm and my GPS chimed into the headphones 26mph!!

I cannot comment on gas mileage yet because it was just way too much fun patting the gas in the grass!!!!

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mojoe » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:41 pm

Stayed in the water my last run. 24.5 miles and burnt 10 gals. What is really impressive is that the way in was in the dark and fog and I was in deep water on and off plane weaving and winding the whole way. The way out I held it at 2100 in deep water cruising 26mph. Run time was 1hr20min so even with dogging it the whole way in, it still burnt approx 8 gal/hr. Before the Pacemaker it averaged approx 11gph at steady deep water cruise.

If this fuel mileage improvement holds, it appears to be about 30% better economy at deep water cruise. WOW!!

lariat
Southern Airboat Member

Postby lariat » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:29 pm

Keep us posted

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby kwanjangnihm » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:56 am

Mojoe 8-12GPH sounds high to me. How are you calculating this?
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mojoe » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:50 pm

Hard to describe how I calculate my gallons per hour without sounding a bit sarcastic.

I divide the gallons consumed by the hours I ran.

Motion x stores my time moving. My gas tank tells me how much is missing....

I will point out, the hours on your tach do not correlate to time running. There is often quite a bit of warm up/idle/cool down time. Also, I am discussing cruise gph in the 2000 rpm range. Frogging is considerably less gph, running dry is considerably more.

Kwan, have you ever calculated GPH for your AV or just MPG? I would like to know what yours gets.... Your boat is one of the better sounding/cruising AC boats around. If I'm even almost as cool as you I would be pretty happy.

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby kwanjangnihm » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:32 pm

I will check my log book when I get home today, but mine is in line with Tony's........ :salute:
Tony480 wrote:I HAVE A 13 BY 7-9 ALUMITECH WITH STAINLESS RIGGING AND A CONTINENTAL INJECTED ANGLE VALVE 540 AND ME AND 2 PASSENGERS CAN RUN FROM JOLLY GATOR AT 46 TO LONE CABBAGE AND BACK AND ONLY BURN 25 GALLONS.I BURN ABOUT 5-7 GALLONS AN HOUR.
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mojoe » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:25 pm

So our math clearly differs:

Let me know how we are calculating this differently. My estimation is that Jolly Gator to Lone Cabbage and back is about 50 miles with high water. Even if we bump it up to 60 miles assuming the water is low, at 20 mph (which is also low) that is 3 hrs. run time. If you burn 25 gals in 3 hrs that is 8.3gph.

If we say you averaged 25mph on that ride, that is 2hrs to 2.4hrs depending on exact mileage. If you burnt 25 gals in 2-2.4 hrs, that is 12.5-10.5gph.

So my estimation says that if somebody runs from Jolly Gator to Lone Cabbage and back on 25 gals, depending on actual mileage and speed, they got between 8.3 and 12.5 gph.

Also, If you burn 25 gallons on a 50 mile ride, that is 2 mpg. If it is 60 miles, that's 2.4mpg.

I got 2.4 mpg last time out running approx 8gph. and am happy as a clam about it. Even happier because it appears, to me, that I am on the better end of yours and Tony's estimated mileage.

I just think we are calculating differently.

Krahammer
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Krahammer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:12 pm

Apples and oranges. You calculate gallons per hour (GPH) by dividing gallons used by the hours run. This will give you an average over the various RPM range that you run that day. If you want to be really serious, run a fuel totalizer. You can then chart your GPH at various RPM levels to see where your most efficient RPM range is. You calculate miles per gallon by dividing gallons by the number of miles run. Use you GPS to determine the Exact number of miles run. Again, all of your numbers will vary, depending on the humidity, air temperature, throttle/rpm setting and how rich or lean you are running.

Really, all that matters is how much fun you have for the money spent.

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mojoe » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:15 pm

If we know the fuel consumption and gallons per hour and distance we can calculate speed. If we use the 6.5 gallons per hour number and 25 gals Tony posted over the approximately 60 mile run, that creates an average speed of 15.7 mph. If it's 50 actual miles the avg speed would be 13.4mph. I think that is our difference, my average speed on my last run was 18.7mph. That is a 16-29% difference in average speed which would result in a similar expected increase in GPH while still producing similar mpg numbers.

Of course, this is disappointingly deviating from the excitement of a new Pacemaker ignition into a high school math problem.
Attachments
IMG_1190.PNG

nunook
Southern Airboat Member

Postby nunook » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:34 pm

Tax return season, What kinda price are we looking at for a 6 cylinder Lycoming? I know it was asked but not answered
2006 Floral City 14' Deckover Lycoming GSO-480

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”