High School Airboat Build II

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
Coastslider
Southern Airboat Member

Re: High School Airboat Build II

Postby Coastslider » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:37 pm

Did you ever figure out your issues with the motor running rough ?

skinnypockets
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby skinnypockets » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:15 pm

Duece wrote:
skinnypockets wrote:Can anyone give us some quick information on the rudder tabs, as you can see they are two different rudders. One tab in the middle and one tab down lower, these tabs used for stabilizing the rudders to relieving torque, right????
Can we just take them off or should we take one off and match it to the other?

The tabs are there to compensate for the boat pulling to the left or right. Some boats don't need them and a lot of boats run only one.
If the boat runs straight when you take your hand off the rudder stick then you're good to go, (that's if the tabs are straight). If it pulls to one side bend the tab until it runs straight. It may take several tries to get it right.

Great job on the boat for you and your crew. :thumbleft: Keep up the good work!

Can't you do this w/the boat on the trailer though? If you give the boat throttle and it pushes the rudders one way or the other, bend the tab the opposite (or so I thought).

Duece

I've never tried it on the trailer but I would think you could get it close that way. The only way to know for sure is to put it on the water.

Rudder tabs are kinda like trim tabs for the hull, they compensate for something that is not quite right with the hull. If everything is right with the hull there is no need for a trim tab, likewise, if the rudders are set just right the rudder tabs are not necessary. :rebel: :florida: :old_glory:
I'VE DONE SO MUCH WITH SO LITTLE FOR SO LONG, I CAN DO ANYTHING WITH NOTHING!

13.6 Alumitec, 350 Chevy, Rotator Gearbox and 6 Blade Warp Drive

CWAIS
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CWAIS » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:59 pm

Thanks everyone for the comments on the rudders, we cut the lower tab off and when we do our teardown to paint we will weld a new tab up more towards the middle of the rudder. Coastslider we have not solved our problem yet. It will start right up, run for about two minutes and it shuts right down like you turned the engine off. You pump the throttle a couple of times it fires up for a second and quits. We are going to pull the top off the carb and check float height and the needle for debris ( thinking it is to low). The fuel pump is a new carter 4070 , never had a problem with these pumps before. So somehow it is starving for fuel after a little run time. Here are a few pictures and maybe a video of the engine running with the prop on. It did have enough torque to move the boat sitting on a few strips of poly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgKn1iM3oBg

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Gary S » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:44 am

Did you take the hose fuel off and free flow the fuel into something to check the pump has a healthy output? Maybe kink the hose some to put some back pressure on it. Also have you checked for fire as soon as it shuts off. You could also have a can of starting fluid on hand and when it starts to die give it a shot and that will confirm it fuel.
Project is going good.

CWAIS
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CWAIS » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:17 pm

Gary S
We have done a free flow back into the tank and the pressure slows down as it runs. If we kink the hose it does not shut off. So we moved the clear filter to a spot between the pump and carb to see if we could see anything. On my prep I took the carb off and reset the floats they were low. When the students came in we ran the engine, it ran longer but still killed. When it killed one of the students said the pump was not running, so I tapped on it the pump kicked in the filter filled up and you could hear the fuel running in the bowl. We turned the key it started right up , it ran for a while. One of the students said that the fuel pressure must be going down just by watching the filter. A little while after the engine would start to sound different and stall. ( No pump running ) tried tapping on the pump nothing, tried starting, nothing ,waited for a while turned on power, turned key, pump not working, tapped a couple of times and it kicked in. We let it run for a while and then turned the key and it started right up and the cycle would repeat itself. So we are coming to the conclusion that we have a pump that is bad. The only other thing that we can think of would be that current is being cut off to the pump thru the switch for some reason and then coming back at times. Can anyone think of something that we might be missing?
The pump is a carter 4070 and I purchased it in august so I'm not sure if they will stand behind or not.

skinnypockets
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby skinnypockets » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:59 pm

Run a jumper wire directly from the battery to the pump and run the engine, (be sure your ground is good also), if it still cuts out you have a bad pump. Even new pumps will sometimes fail. If the engine runs without cutting off then you should look for bad power connections. I would also check the ignition switch.
:rebel: :florida: :old_glory:

CWAIS
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CWAIS » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:59 pm

Ran in to school, ran the (+) wire direct all (other wires are tight). Turned the disconnect on pump was not running, tapped it about 4 times started running. Started right up no choking ran for a while and then the engine died no pump running tried to start, just rolled over no start. Tapped on the fuel pump with my hand many times. Waited for a while tried again nothing tapped on it again and the pump kicked in went to start it and it started right up. Must just be a bad pump.

skinnypockets
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby skinnypockets » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:45 pm

A lot of people here run the carter with good results but like anything mechanical they can fail. I've been running them for many years and have bought several to replace the ones that failed. Better that it happened now than on the water.
:rebel: :florida: :old_glory:

diamondback0320
Southern Airboat Member

Postby diamondback0320 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:23 am

i was gonna mention this yesterday on the carter pump...used to b the cats ass..now they suck..had fuel issues little over yr ago running a original carter on my db which was old as dirt & it finally died.. bought a new 1 & didn't last but bout a month if that..bought another & same thing..read some threads bout same issues & bought a facet gold series & haven't had a problem at all

CWAIS
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CWAIS » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:01 pm

Well we tried everything on our fuel pump so I called "Carter" on a sunday and Jeff from Carter got back to me on Monday morning. We had a new one on weds ( UPS picked up the bad one ). Glad that was over with. We got a base for our white Nav. light welded up. One student started the mufflers, milling slots. A student TIG welding for the first time is making up an overflow tank. Getting ready to weld up our rudder tab went well considering it was only .030 alum. Then we got some great news from Troy Smith at EK Machining out of Fall River, WI. They said they would do our powder coating on everything. We new that they were swamped right now but they said they would find a way to work us in. Great News !!!!!!!!!!!
We started taking everything apart so that we have everything ready when EK Machining is ready for us. The last picture is of the shop, parts laying everywhere.
Have a Happy Easter Everyone :thumbleft:

Last run before tear down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA0WN3fJ-Rs

CWAIS
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CWAIS » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:46 pm

Busy week, last weekend Mike Moeller from Holmen, Wis. picked up our axle and wheels for the trailer in Clear Lake, IA. So Weds. Night after school I made a couple hour drive up to Holmen and picked up the axle and wheels from Mike. I had to check out the new boat Mike was putting together, it is going to be really cool when he gets it done. Thanks mike for saving me about 4hours of drive time.
Thanks to Mike Schmidt from Apache Stainless in Beaver Dam, WI for dropping off some pieces of stainless tubing for our muffler, which are all done except for some polishing. Troy Smith from EK Machine gave us the Ok for doing the powder coating for our project. Trailer, hull, gas tank, battery rack, engine stand and rudders are all on the list. Oh yes the rudders until I realized the foam so I called John Hagen in Onalaska, WI thurs. night and he said no go on the rudders “thanks John”. We will have to make a new plan for them. I dropped off the hull and tank this morning before school and Troy said they would try to work everything in over the next couple of weeks. They are really busy right now. Troy sends us an e-mail around 1:00 today and it says

“I talked with Steve our Quality director and he agrees with me that we will deliver the hull, tank and brkt back to you and pick up the remaining of the parts once the hull is completed. It will make it easier to handle on both ends, we can set up the arrangements when the time comes. We, EK Machine and TCI would like come to the school when this project is completed to take pictures with the kids, thanks”

WOW, THANKS Troy, Steve, EK Machine and TCI. (TCI donated the powder for the Powder coating)

It has really turned into a great week !!!!!!
Today we had a couple students working on the bungs for the overflow tank. Axle got lined up on the trailer. The rudders are all sanded and the fender edges were all TIG and joints all welded together. Oh and a bracket on the engine for the throttle cable was welded up and bolted on.

CWAIS
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CWAIS » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:27 am

Well its been about a week, the Hull, gas tank, battery rack were all powder coated by Troy Smith from EK Machine and it looks great! The rest ofof the parts will be powder coated as soon as they have an opening. The light bar was put in place and holes drilled. Hopefully we can get the poly on in the next couple of weeks. The bungs are getting TIG welded up for the overflow tank and the angle iron cut up for the trailer roller supports.The day is getting closer !!!!

CWAIS
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CWAIS » Mon May 08, 2017 11:38 pm

This past week we decided it would be a good weekend to do poly since we were waiting to get the rest of our parts powder coated. So I called John Hagen in Onalaska, WI to see if it would work out. He said we were a go. Then I called Mike Moeller from Holmen, WI to see if he could help out. He said yes and he called a good friend Ira and we were set. Prom at school this week so no helpers from school. I took off my only personal day on Friday, loaded up the boat and headed up to Johns pole shed. Mike meet me there and we flipped the hull over and placed on another trailer upside down. Joey, Johns grandson came over and we strapped down the poly so it would take a little shape in the sun and in the shed it went to start heating up. Saturday morning my brother in law Mark Smith called and asked if he could help, so we all meet about 10:00AM and John had the poly up over 100 degrees so we got started. Things went really well So here is a Big Thanks for all your help Guys THANKS
We had pizza to celebrate and I hit the road for home. The last picture is the hull with some hydro turf stuck down on the deck.
Oh sorry Ira for putting you in the pictures but O'well.

Thanks for taking pictures Mike

dblj006
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby dblj006 » Wed May 10, 2017 12:17 pm

This may have been asked before. Why is one of the rear gussets smaller than the others?
Broke.

CWAIS
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CWAIS » Wed May 10, 2017 12:55 pm

It is smaller to make room for the steering crank. If I have time tonight I will try to take a picture with the crank on. There might be one in this post if you look through the pictures?

CWAIS
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CWAIS » Thu May 11, 2017 6:47 pm

On page 3 about 1/2 way down there is a picture of the crank on the transom.
Can anyone tell me why I have a -1 in my private messages can't find anything there??????

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby kwanjangnihm » Thu May 11, 2017 9:23 pm

CWAIS wrote: Can anyone tell me why I have a -1 in my private messages can't find anything there??????

Is your Inbox full? Delete old messages and the new one will populate. (same with Sent messages) :thumbleft:
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

Rick McC.
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rick McC. » Thu May 11, 2017 9:28 pm

^^^ I don't know about that, but thanks for the updates, and all the pics!
"Sights are for the unenlightened."
Rick
http://guntipsandtalk.com

CWAIS
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CWAIS » Thu May 18, 2017 10:01 pm

Thought that I would post up where we are at before things get wild. Got a message from Troy Smith at EK Machine today that they would be dropping off the trailer, cage, engine stand and extra parts that they picked up yesterday to get powder coated. THANKS TROY and EK MACHINE!!! We also need to thank Mike Kelsey from Kelsey Coatings, Inc. in Green Bay, Wisconsin for matching the hull powder coating so we could spray the rudders. Paint got shipped this morning, THANKS MIKE!!! So my students will be busy, we have two weeks of school left with three of those days being finals. I will try to post pictures as we go. We will need to weld the axle to the fender brackets, bumpers, boat stop, coupler, winch, spare tire, rollers and lights. Mount the engine, radiator, fuel pump, mount seat, gauge box, wire gauges, gas pedal, wire lights, disconnect and mount it all to the hull. Mount the lights in the cage, mount the cage to the boat,mount the rudder brackets to the hull, spray the rudders, mount the rudders, connect the steering stick, connect rudder rods. Take a breath, then connect the battery, fill coolant, check oil, double check all bolts, put gas in the tank and then remember to put the prop on :lol: :lol: disconnect the battery, put the warp drive prop on THANKS DARYL !!!!! Reconnect the battery, draw names to see who gets to start this bad boy. Last but not least finish up 8 booths for the county fair ( community service great students). Start the boat up.
Look for pictures to come :D Wish us luck

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Gary S » Fri May 19, 2017 6:43 am

Sounds like someone is going to have to stay after school. Thanks for helping turn boys into men.

Rick McC.
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rick McC. » Fri May 19, 2017 10:58 pm

Man I'm looking forward to those "final" pics; gettin' down to the home stretch!
"Sights are for the unenlightened."
Rick
http://guntipsandtalk.com

smokster
Southern Airboat Member

Postby smokster » Sun May 21, 2017 1:01 pm

this has been my favorite thread on the interweb

Duece
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Duece » Tue May 23, 2017 10:48 am

smokster wrote:this has been my favorite thread on the interweb

I agree, love seeing the updates on this thread.

Duece
"Welcome to the Dark Side..."
14'x7'6" Diamondback ZZ4 350/355hp 2.37:1 Stinger gearbox 80" 3 blade NGR series

CWAIS
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CWAIS » Tue May 23, 2017 8:36 pm

Had a couple of my communications students volunteer to make shirts.

CWAIS
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CWAIS » Tue May 23, 2017 8:40 pm

EK Machine shows up on Friday with the last of our parts that were powder coated. Thanks Troy Smith and EK Machine !!

Return to “Airboat Tech”