• If you log in, the ads disappear in the forum and gallery. If you need help logging in or getting registered, send request to: webmaster@southernairboat.com

22' yankee with 454

Looking at a 22'ft yankee with a 454 400hp wood 4 bade prop. Been garage kept Has 272 original hours on motor. Unsure of reduction. Not looking to be able to run boat dry but be nice to be able to stop in a few inches of water and get going again. Mind you this is my first airboat.

Last edited:
A 22 ft airboat is a massive hull and a 400hp engine is adequate to move it but it’s not a powerhouse by any means.

It may move on some dry empty but doubt it can haul the mail with a load of Bubbas, Pitbull and a cooler.

Best thing is to ride it and see exactly what you’re getting.

Nearly everyone starts off saying I don’t need to run dry and fast figures out that you may need to.

Where is the boat located ?

Yeah I hear ya would definately be nice if I have too. Over by Wisconsin. Just 400hp seem kinda low for that size of boat. He is suppose to getting back with the reduction size.

A 22 ft airboat is a massive hull and a 400hp engine is adequate to move it but it’s not a powerhouse by any means.

It may move on some dry empty but doubt it can haul the mail with a load of Bubbas, Pitbull and a cooler.

Best thing is to ride it and see exactly what you’re getting.

Nearly everyone starts off saying I don’t need to run dry and fast figures out that you may need to.

Where is the boat located ?
Says it's 2:1

While this is an opinion and everyone has one a 400hp in a 2:1 is definitely on the low end of power for a 20ft plus airboat.

From my heavy / big boat experience a 500 plus inch high performing engine mated to a 2:55 with 4 wide blades is a solid offering.

Look at some of the old threads if they are still around from BlackWater Airboats.

They ran tours and the recipe they found was a 540 EFI BBC mated to a 2:55 drive with 4 Maximus blades.

Back