• If you log in, the ads disappear in the forum and gallery. If you need help logging in, send request for help to: webmaster@southernairboat.com

Airboat Must Haves

Slidin Gator

There was a recent thread on this, so I'm bumping this one to the top for all.

Being a dog hunter, I keep a small field surgery center with me anyway, so a first aid kit is covered. But I just bought a fresh 3 pack of Life Straws for $26 delivered to the door, so I figured it's worth mentioning. My daughter travels the world and swears by them, she says she sticks them into some nasty looking streams with no issues. One Life Straw weighs a hell of a lot less than the 1-2 gallons a day per person worth of water it will take to walk 3 days out of the marsh.

Add 1-2 of these things to the safety kit and you can literally save weight on the boat by ditching the just in case water (unless you are in salt water)!

Mossy Cypress

A good double kayak paddle(can seperate if two people on board) good assortment of tools relevant to your particular boat,zip ties,electrical tape,spare wire/cable,spare electrical connectors,band clamps,small jump box with USB ports, charged cell phone and charger,compass,spare headlight/bulb,gun always on board(signal/food/two,four and no legged protection) siphon/hose,spare oil,bug spray/bug tamer,knife,multitool(needlenose),firestarter,snacks,purification tabs(life straw is a great idea), shovel,dawn dish soap.

JLP3314

=":)" I keep a lot of the stuff mentioned plus it's nice to keep a small tarp in the boat.. 10x10 folded and rolled takes up almost no space.. Well worth having in a storm!

Have also heard tales of folks using the same tarp as an emergency glass hull "patch" to get the boat back to the ramp. :shock:

Them dual battery boxes pay for themselves the first time anything draws one down. :wink:

NorthWestFloridaBoy

JLP3314 said:
=":)" I keep a lot of the stuff mentioned plus it's nice to keep a small tarp in the boat.. 10x10 folded and rolled takes up almost no space.. Well worth having in a storm!

Have also heard tales of folks using the same tarp as an emergency glass hull "patch" to get the boat back to the ramp. :shock:

Them dual battery boxes pay for themselves the first time anything draws one down. :wink:

I have heard several people mention the tarp as a makeshift "patch" to get you back to the ramp. Slide it under the hull, from the front of the boat while you're moving forward in water or on plane and let it feed down to beyond the crack or hole in hull and it will prevent more water from pouring in, allowing you to return to the ramp. In theory anyway..

lilly-Pad

NorthWestFloridaBoy said:
JLP3314 said:

I have heard several people mention the tarp as a makeshift "patch" to get you back to the ramp. Slide it under the hull, from the front of the boat while you're moving forward in water or on plane and let it feed down to beyond the crack or hole in hull and it will prevent more water from pouring in, allowing you to return to the ramp. In theory anyway..

I have a friend that last week was ridding in a trail minding his own business and was attacked by a family of cypress. One crushed his grass rake and another split his hull down a seam, split ran about 2/3 of his hull. We used a tarp under the boat as you mentioned and got the boat thru the marsh and into the canal to reach the levy road.