• If you log in, the ads disappear in the forum and gallery. If you need help logging in or getting registered, send request to: webmaster@southernairboat.com

GPU front oil seal

Changing the seal is pretty straight forward. When you take the old seal out be sure to clean and inspect the case and the crank where the seal sets. See if you can find out why the old seal was leaking. If it was just old then you should have no trouble. If you find a slight groove where the rubber meets the crank you may want to offset the new seal by not pushing it on as far. That way the rubber will not sit in the groove.

Be sure to use Tite-Seal or whatever sealer the overhaul manual calls for. It is a good time to check the breather for obstructions as well. Sometimes the seals leak due to over pressurization of the crankcase. This is a sign of other problems that need to be addressed.

Just put in new rings (5 hours ago) not sure if they have had time to get seated. Got stuck had a hard time getting unstuck and it pretty much blew the seal out. Only the spring left hanging on the shaft. Lots of oil all over the rudders.

Sometimes the seals leak due to over pressurization of the crankcase. This is a sign of other problems that need to be addressed.

I believe DesMoines has it right, you have excessive crankcase pressure. Check your breather for certain and if you find nothing there you might want to do a leakdown test on your cylinders to see if there is a problem with the new rings you installed. Even new unseated rings should not create that much blow-by, unless the ring-gaps were not staggered correctly on the piston or a ring has broken.

I think a leak down test is in order, I'll take it back to the mechanic that did the rebuild on the cylinders and let him deal with that part.

The closest place you could look to find one could be your mailbox. I have one in stock that I could ship to you if you have a problem finding one. .Mike

Back