• If you log in, the ads disappear in the forum and gallery. If you need help logging in or getting registered, send request to: webmaster@southernairboat.com

hull design and building materials

Greetings to all. I'm new to the forum, this is my second post. I'm a retired heavy equipment and machinery hauler. I have a pretty good sized shop and a lot of equipment to work with. I live on the Mississippi rvr in N. central Minn. I want and i think I can build an airboat. And as much as possible I want to work with what i have the first time out. It doesn't need to be able to dry run or do any dry climbing. Basically used on the rvr and the lakes. A few Lilly pads and water weeds in places and that is about it. Small rocks on some of the shorelines. I've got about 100 to 150 miles of pretty wide open river where I live.

I thought at first aluminum, maybe a kit, cut ready to weld and then i thought marine plywood covered with fiberglass. 12 to 14 ft long. 7 to 7 1/2 ft wide 14 to 16 inches deep. T shaped aluminum stringers. I have a marine 302 so it has the cam upgrade. torque curve is a little longer, 2500 to 3000 rpm's. I can get a prop adapter at GTO. Also going direct drive. My learning curve will be steep. If the boat will plane and maybe go 35 to 40 mph max i would be happy. I have a lot to learn about center of gravity, stability, rudder placement, etc etc. Maybe some flotation in places in the hull. Mostly me and my wife and sometimes at max 4 people. Just fishing and cruising. My wants are fairly modest compared to what you guys can make these boats do. Maybe some pointers on hull design, a little flare no flare etc. I hoped i haven't pi--ed off the airboat gods. I'm anxious to what you guys think. Thank you for reading, Clyde

I'd look for a good used hull and redo it . I just built my first boat new stringers new slick bottom built new cage for it and redid the rigging. It was a fun build and I learned a lot doing it . Nothing to it but to do it . Lots of good advice and people on this site . Nothing like learning to do stuff for yourself . I'd be lyin if I said a learning curve can't cost money but in the long run you'll be glad you did it.

If you have access to a press brake with v block lower and round upper dies that is 14' long I can walk you through a design that will perform flawlessly.

if you dont take John up on his offer, I think Circle H Airboats has aluminum hull kits - reach out on fbook :salute:

https://www.facebook.com/circlehairboats/

Back