• If you log in, the ads disappear in the forum and gallery. If you need help logging in or getting registered, send request to: webmaster@southernairboat.com

JESEL SHAFT SYSTEMS?

under pressure

I purchased a low quality(cheap) shaft system for my SBC and broke them within an hour :cry: . So now I am looking at the Jesel systems and was wondering if the Sportsman Series is sufficient, or should I buy the Comp. Series. I do not want to make the same mistake twice. Thanks for your input!!

The budget shaft systems are rarely worth it. And the Jesel sportsmans aren't much better. The hardware is good, but the mounting system basically renders em no better if not worse than stud mounts. The high-end Jesels are great, but in my opinion the fit, finish and hardware of the T+D stuff is superior (Which is who manufactures for COMP) and the price is better too. JMO

Felber

You can also look at the Scorpion performance shaft rockers.
I have known the manufacture for many years as a top quality engine builder and now manufactures rockers that have a lifetime warranty.
Not sure of the price but last time I asked they were much less than Jesel.

http://scorpionperformanceblog.com/

Also a worthy suggestion. I use a lot of Scorpion conventional rockers with good success. Theire rocker bodies have a little more mass than I prefer in really high RPM stuff, but very durable. I wasn't aware they were making a shaft system yet, and probably will look into it.

FELBER632,
If you are ever in Ft. Lauderdale it is worth the time to see the manufacturing process that goes into his rockers, family owned business, no expense spared, makes every part of the rocker in house, quality control is second to none and stands behind every part he makes.

Jesels and T@D's are great but it is realy a waste of money on a motor that turns less then 6,500 unless you have a cam over .650 lift or are turning 8,000 plus RPM's there is not much of a reason to use them. There will be little if any gain for the money spent! What heads and what RPM's are you turning?

Well one thing you have to factor Dave is that an LS1 basically has a shaft mount style system in place, and very little spring pressure. It's not so much about RPM but about the spring pressure and load on the valvetrain. On most of my engines, I rarely use below 260#s on the seat and sometimes over 900#s open. Plus another factor I've come to realize....If you spend $250 for roller rockers. $175 for stud girdles, and another 80-90 for studs and guideplates the money is a lot closer than we tend to think. Shaft mounts also hold lash much better, nevermind the stability. Granted, I only use shaft styles in about 1 out of 3 engines I build, mainly due to customer budget. And I absolutely agree that they are unnescesaryy in an LS engine unless it's converted to an aggressive solid roller, but if someone has the loot to spend a couple hundred more in a stud-mount style engine, I say have at it, especuially if you're running high ratio rockers and a lot of spring pressure.

Felber

Hey Dave, Thanks for the advice. My motor is set up for 5900 max RPM and valve lift at 610 I. and 579 E. . Stud mount would be easier and a little cheaper but for a little more I think the shaft would be better. I tried to cheat once and loss! You get what you pay for! Thanks again. P.S. The heads are the GM PP Fastburn aluminum heads. The first version of them. They take standard 23* valve train stuff. Thanks

Back