• If you log in, the ads disappear in the forum and gallery. If you need help logging in, send request for help to: webmaster@southernairboat.com

Maintaining Bolt Torque

Old Yeller

Frustrated... still waiting on a resolution with the MI. It’s been 4.5 months (135 days) now. This isn’t Rocket Science, it’s obsolescence that needs to be corrected by preventative maintenance with a needed design change.

FYI: If you have this design of Rib-Gunnel attachment, pull the walk boards and inspect them; If they are not parallel mating surfaces, have a gap below the bolt, attached with full thread SS bolts, and are not secured to the hull sides...
Existing Rib 2 Gunnel Attachment Damage  DSC05847 (2).JPG

Regardless of how frequently you tighten them, the unveven mating surfaces will continue to frett to some degree
Rib Attach Design Not Parallel DSC05828 (2).JPG
Rib Gunnel Attachment Fail DSC05812.JPG

Continued...

Old Yeller

Continued...

Hull chaffing from rib to gunnel attachment
Rib Chaffing Hull DSC05938 (2).JPG

The destructive nature of full thread SS bolts to the surface grip area
Seat Mounts DSC05650 (3).JPG

Full thread SS Bolt vs. SS Engine Stand fretting
SS allthread Bolt v SS Engine Stand DSC05757 (2).JPG

Old Yeller

Another 3.5 months have passed . . . Still waiting on that CG835

ATTACH]

terrible ted

SWAMPHUNTER45 said:
It looks as if your already running a poly nut on there. Were the poly nuts new or did they already have use on them?

I find after use they won’t hold as well FYI.

Tricks we have used on difficult applications have been to use a commercial thread lock like LocTite. The Red #271 is a permanent thread lock compound. If it is the nut coming loose and not bolt stretch, the #271 product will stop it.

Another less intrusive trick is to put a smear of High Quality RTV sealer such as Permatex high heat on one side of the threads and tighten it down then allow 24 hours to cure. Make sure the bolt and nut are clean and dry. The objective is for the sealer to bond and created a filler in the threads and barrier to backing off. Put a little up under the nut after tightening also. Just a pea size amount and wipe the bolt and nut base.

I suspect part of the issue is that the nuts can’t torque flat as they are drilled in at an angle so any flex is working to mechanically loosen the nut. It they were flat the added surface tensions would hold better.

I agree totally with this cant say it better.

Old Yeller

Would someone running a CG Certified db 23' x 9'10" Tour please send me the vessel name & official number so that I can get the approved plans to verify dimensions?

Old Yeller

In addition to the request above:
Would someone with a 2016 or older 9'10" x 23' Inspected (COI), that utilizes similar construction (5/16" bolts, etc...), PLEASE give up the official number/name? Or tell me who has one so that I can go get it...
It may be possible to apply the five year rule to some of these issues.
11 months into this re-inspection process now! :banghead:

Old Yeller

Nope, just paint to break things up and cover up more crater cracked welds . . .
Based on ANOTHER Inspection yesterday in our continued quest for a resolution with USCG. Interesting this inspection was the one year anniversary that we started this mission on. How many years can this process take?

Is anyone going to step up and PLEASE give us a boat to sistership to?

ATTACH]

Old Yeller

... after more than a year the Official "Work List" has arrived.
#1 remains the plans; #3 & 5 address multiple cracked welds. Many are crater cracks, so we get to clean all, inspect, repair all cracked ...
The bottom splice gets a 4" clean path for the entire 23' run. Gonna be a bitch to clear Super Slick w/o damaging the weld!
ATTACH]

Old Yeller

Is "An affirmative defense to a civil lawsuit... a fact or set of facts other than those alleged by the plaintiff..." ?

Does anyone else want to hear how "Any loss, injury or damage suffered by Plaintiff was caused solely by the acts or omissions
of third-party parties, including but not limited to, the U.S. Coast Guard." on this build ?

Old Yeller

835 clip for SA post.JPG

176.700 Permission for repairs and alterations
(b) The owner or managing operator shall submit drawings, sketches, or written specifications describing the details of any proposed alterations to the cognizant OCMI. Proposed alterations must be approved by the OCMI before work is started.

(c) Drawings are not required to be submitted for repairs or replacements in kind.

(d) The OCMI may require an inspection and testing whenever a repair or alteration is undertaken.

>>> Given it was NOT "in kind", WTH is it? AND WTH are the plans for this master piece?
4.5 yrs now :scratch: Come on . . .

Slidin Gator

Yah, that’s the kind of stuff that calls for a naval architect. He will just determine that the boat is unstable (duhh).

Your money would be best spent on a CG approved hull.

Old Yeller

Slidin Gator, "Your money would be best spent on a CG approved hull" That's what I bought! It is (was) until this CG835 was issued for the approved plans.

Gary S, It's been officially out of service since 31MAR2017, it "worked" one day! We've been trying to resurrect it all this time. It's up in AR, working with Sector Lower MS

Old Yeller

Considering this is a current production, certified 2021 SPV:

What is wrong with the interior framing assembly shown?

2021 Int Framing SPV 1.jpg2021 Int Framing SPV 2.jpg

Old Yeller

Anyone know if this remains the current approved drawing for the gusset assembly in the previous pics?
Anyone have any 3/8" bolts in the framing?
CG Plans gussett.JPG