• If you log in, the ads disappear in the forum and gallery. If you need help logging in or getting registered, send request to: webmaster@southernairboat.com

new to airboats

bugkiller86

hey i joined just ab a week or so ago! and im looking at air boats what would be a good starter boat and not real expensive? any help would be great. thanks

Welcome to S/A !!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

All depends on your terrain.. Do you have deep water, waves, Ice, Snow, canals, marsh.....

Each of these could change an aspect of the boat fit for you...

Several boats in the classified section to look thru. Read as much as possible from members in your area and get a feel for their rigging.

Good luck and welcome again.....................

Maybe post a little on what you want to do (ie... run dry all day long, run dry a little, just fish out of it, Sunday stroll boat) and we can kinda point you in the right direction...

I would be running mostly semi deep water and dry ground. im in south georgia! I have friends down around punta gorda so would be down there some too. thanks

LOVE SOUTH GA !!!!!!!!!! Have a hunting lease just outside of Metter... Been there for 6 years

Anyways, How many people are u wanting to run (on an average).. Great 350's auto and 160's aircraft for sale in the classifides... Aluminum or fiberglass will work fine and you can always get a boat...save some $$ ... and put another hull under it...... save some $$$$...... put a different prop.....ect..........

two people most of the time maybe three. metter is prolly close to three hours north east from me. should i try to go with a dd or gear box?

Need to speak to the "Automotive" section for thoes answers.. I have always had aricraft.. But with that being said:

---A 220 GPU: ( Ground Power Unit ) sounds like it would serve your purposes well. Will run 3 dry (some farther than others) and is a great all around boat. Around 12 to 13 feet long and around 7-7 1/2 feet wide, aluminum or fiberglass would work fine.. Would not go any smaller than that for 3 people. Not saying smaller will not do it, but you will get into alot more $$$$ ( ie.. a 160 or 180 Lycoming ).

---Car motors: You can go with a 350 sb ( small block ) or maybe to a 500 cadi motor running direct drive. This will be less expensive for the automotive style. Now, a step up from that would be to put a gear box on the back ( 2.1 to 1 ratio or bigger) and this would allow you to spin the prop faster for more a$$... But gear/belt boxes are around $2000-$2500 depending on what type.

All in all, I have seen everything from VW 1600 cc motors on airboats to the Mercury I/O motor (by the way, that was really weird to see). So, it it really up to you and your wallet. Plenty of deals out there right now. What you ought to do is take a quick vacation day and come down to Ft. Lauterdale on the 13th and 14th this month. The Broward County Airboat and Half Track show is kickin'. Probably 250 - 300 boats and plenty of intertainment. 2 miles from Bass Pro, so there is plenty to do. This will give you a GREAT idea of what is available and possible in the way of different rigs, power plants, and hulls.

Good luck and would love to see ya down there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Before you jump on just any deal, do a lot of reading on here and it will help you sort out your thoughts to what you will want. Typically a DD car motor isnt going to do much on dry ground. Add a gearbox to the mix and its a whole other beast. Also not a/c motors are ready to rock and roll. I mean a little 125 isnt about to tote 3 guys up a hill, whereas a 540 will burn it up. LOL! Just stick around, ask questions, and do some reading, you will figure it out. Also there are some airboat shows coming up, and a big swap meet in ocala with lots of boats and parts, not to mention it is in the parking lot of one of the biggest manufacturers!

See buddy, I told you these guys are great. I asked many questions building my boat and listened to what was said and you saw first hand the results I came out with!! The show is in Ft. Lauderdale on the weekend you invited us up to the party in Georgia. If you want to go to the show you can stay here and we can go from here but I also know the party is important to. Its about 2 1/2 hours from my house to the show. To bad its the same weekend. 8)

Now what about this idea? Come down friday night to my house, we can leave when you get here, go to the camp in the glades stay the night there, come out after a lil ride either fri night or sat morning and go to the show then go back to the camp for more riding in the glades? Let me know if you want to go, we can take either boat. 8) I know that is tempting!!! 8)

Bush and Bug
Ya'll should really think about coming to the Spring Fling at Loughman Lake Lodge in Mims, Fl on March 26th - 28th. Three days of meeting, greeting, riding, eating and parting. I went last year and there was over 100 boats to look at and drool over. Best people in the world there. I'll be staying at RV lot #13 stop by, beer will be in the cooler and liquor on the table if we're not there, help your self. Check this link out. Glad to see another Georgia boy, welcome.

airboatridesatloughman.com

Kim

bugkiller86 is new but he already has it right. Family First !

Welcome aboard, enjoy the company, you will like it here.
Family is what we are all about.

Scotty

Welcome to the club.......be careful, once in, you can't turn back. Last August I was in a rush and bought my first airboat so I would have it for duck season. Ours opens Sept 1. Well, I rushed it and ended up buying more of a project then I had expected. New motor in the middle of the season, still working on the bottom, and have to upgrade the motor this spring because I'm not happy with its performance. Meanwhile, ended up getting only a few ducks, the season is long over, and I still have the project that is costing me a lot more then I planned on. Even if you are in a rush, slow down, find yourself a good solid boat that will last you long enough to get a feel for airboating and to gain enough experience to make a good choice for a next boat. Have fun. Bud

Thanks for all the advice I really appreciate it! Everyone on here has been great just like bushhawg told me! Glad to know there are still people out there willing to help someone new out! Thanks!

Bugkiller, Sorry I missed the post of your previous planned event, but there is ALWAYS something going on here on S/A year round!!! Weather it is a ride at Loughmans Lodge, An airboat show in West Palm Beach or Broward County, A poker run off of Lake Harney or just a small group get together for a lake clean-up .......... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: YEA RIGHT !!!

Plenty of time to meet and greet, and I agree with previous post...DO NOT RUSH IT !!! You will not be the first to post:

"I bought a boat, the owner said it was a 180 Lycoming (runs 3 dry) and found out it was a 150 (runs 1 dry)............." BUYERS BEWARE !!!!

Good luck and make sure to run it by knowledgable people on here, we can help!!!!!!!!

Back