• If you log in, the ads disappear in the forum and gallery. If you need help logging in or getting registered, send request to: webmaster@southernairboat.com

Off topic, Need some help.

John Fenner

I need some help with a project that I have been working on.
1994 Chevy 1500 pickup 5.7 TBI converted to Edelbrock MPFI, I have gone through every sensor change, coil, distributor, all of the base troubleshooting, got it running but barely, check engine light turns off when running, ok, so I researched the edelbrock installation manual online, it shows that there is a programmed chip that needs to be installed, so I pull out the ECM it is a stock replacement unit with a stock chip to run the TBI system,,,
So I have called Edelbrock, Summit, was referred to a guy who programs chips as the part is unavailable, pretty much at a dead end here, the guy they referred me to does not seem to want to even deal with the chip programming.
I figured that I would ask on here, as there is a plethora of knowledge on this site, does anybody know of someone who can program this chip for it to run right?

John,

I got nothing to add to help, but I do have some questions. What is the MPFI and intake setup? Are you using something like the unit below?

I have been looking at the Ford small block version on a non-airboat project to get the old school look but running a Holley MPFI fuel and spark setup. I am wondering why you don't delete the whole GM ECU and just use the Edelbrock system, be done with it.

035780_v1_2.jpg

Pro-Flo 4 EFI 4150-Style Kit #35780 For Chevy Small-Block W/ Vortec/E-Tec Heads

John,

I got nothing to add to help, but I do have some questions. What is the MPFI and intake setup? Are you using something like the unit below?

I have been looking at the Ford small block version on a non-airboat project to get the old school look but running a Holley MPFI fuel and spark setup. I am wondering why you don't delete the whole GM ECU and just use the Edelbrock system, be done with it.

035780_v1_2.jpg

Pro-Flo 4 EFI 4150-Style Kit #35780 For Chevy Small-Block W/ Vortec/E-Tec Heads
What I am dealing with is a similar setup only it re uses the TBI throttle body, sans injectors and regulator, all of that is blocked off.
Whoever put this together did not follow through and get the proper chip, now it is obsolete. Or the next owner stabbed a stock computer in it programmed to run 2 fat injectors at say 14# of pressure not 45# and 8 injectors.

What I am dealing with is a similar setup only it re uses the TBI throttle body, sans injectors and regulator, all of that is blocked off.
Whoever put this together did not follow through and get the proper chip, now it is obsolete. Or the next owner stabbed a stock computer in it programmed to run 2 fat injectors at say 14# of pressure not 45# and 8 injectors.

I looked into this a bit and now I understand what you have, basically a new Edelbrock intake manifold with the ports for 8x fuel injectors, re-install the old throttle body to use the throttle position sensor. It looks like the whole system was discontinued 12 years ago or so. If it was me I would be replacing the ECU and harness with an aftermarket ECU system, but understand that is a bunch more money than getting the right chip. You might look into a 1996+ ECU as those engines were MPFI, but I'm sure there are multiple headaches involved to make even that work.

https://www.jegs.com/InstallationInstructions/300/350/350-3563.pdf

Agreed, it would take a lot of pinout work changing it over to OBDII base, I'm waiting for a call back from the man that GaryS mentioned above, to see about getting this ECU flashed to get it running right, he was crew chief for Darryl Gwynn, had his own speed shop, has many connections, so patience for now, the owner of this truck, Don Davis, told me to just throw an intake on it, a carb and an HEI, be done with it, that is last case scenario for me, done all the homework and sensor changes, just have to teach it how to run, will see, appreciate your input Slidin Gator

I'm waiting for a call back from the man that GaryS mentioned above, to see about getting this ECU flashed to get it running right, he was crew chief for Darryl Gwynn, had his own speed shop, has many connections, so patience for now, the owner of this truck...

That's the kinda campfire discussions I used to have 20 years ago "Know anyone that can hack blah blah blah...". It is wayyyy too much work hacking that old stuff, even if you do get it running decent, you gonna call Darryl next month when it changes?

I still have the cables and software for my old 1999 Evinrudes. That software ran on DOS and I had to keep an old laptop running just to talk to the engines!

Carb & HEI is the bail out solution, I would go back to TBI before I did that and I wouldn't go back to 90's TBI for anything.

You got all the hardware, just add aftermarket ECU so you can control and get on with it. Holley HP would be my minimum hassle/cost choice here, but if low on funds and all day to wait on hold I'm sure Edelbrock has a solution.

My Grandpa owned 5 Model T's over his life, they are all obsolete (I have GPS coordinates on a couple!).

Last edited:
Not real knowledgeable about aftermarket efi so can’t speak on the edelbrock system or using a obd1 computer and programming proms but as said I am very new to efi tuning and I went with holleys terminator x on my new ls boat and I will say this it is the simplest set up I have had and they make a universal mpfi kit that with an adapter plugs directly into the hei and multiple other old school distributors

Universal mpfi terminator x

Not real knowledgeable about aftermarket efi so can’t speak on the edelbrock system or using a obd1 computer and programming proms but as said I am very new to efi tuning and I went with holleys terminator x on my new ls boat and I will say this it is the simplest set up I have had and they make a universal mpfi kit that with an adapter plugs directly into the hei and multiple other old school distributors

Universal mpfi terminator x
Appreciate the reply and link, will look into it!

Figured that I would update on this, I've been in contact with a chip programmer, I finally found the code on the chip that he needed, he has the program from edelbrock for this system, after much research, retracing my steps, whoever installed this mpfi kit did not follow through with obtaining the upgraded chip from edelbrock, "obsolete" as this system is 15 years old.

So off to the USPS I went, boxed up and shipped the payment requested "a bit more" and the chip, so we shall see how this works out, if it cranks up and runs correctly with a few test drives, I hope to deliver the truck, "no celebratory burnouts, don't have time to overhaul the 4L60E" lol, will update once it is gone.
I appreciate all of your inputs on this!!

Back