• If you log in, the ads disappear in the forum and gallery. If you need help logging in, send request for help to: webmaster@southernairboat.com

Squaring a hull or stand after the fact?

Prototype

I bought a new mini hull from a major manufacture in F-glass boats and started the rigging before it was finished. I set my stringer jig square with plum bobs from a hanging motor for the stand build. Everything went great except the bow eye was not installed on the hull. No biggie I set a string centered front and back and installed it.

After installing the motor on it's stand which was built square within a 32nd, i noticed the center stinger does not line up with the x braces so i shot it with a laser and the motor and stand and stringers are about 2 inches out of square with the bow eye and transom. Basically my stringers are not square front to back at about 2 inches on brand new 10' 6" fiberglass hull?

I'm not going to rip the stringers out or rebuild a good square motor stand. I also already installed poly on the hull. I could use some advise on how to resolve this without 12x12 rudder tabs?

John Fenner

Pull a tape from rear corners to opposite bow corners to make sure your bow eye is not off. Square it up and level it get the laser and shoot a reference down true center of hull, mark the hull under the crank snout and prop hub ct. hang plumb bobs back up and see how far it is out to the hull in reality. Use the x braces to adjust for plumb, trim the higher tube to re level engine. Bout all I can blindly suggest.

Deano

Am I understanding correctly that the motor stand is the extent of what you already have built?

Have you spoken to the builder and proposed that they correct it to fit your stand?

A picture (or even a line drawing) would be a huge help.

How is the bottom of your stand configured? Is it angle, round, square tubing?

What's the distance between front and rear mounting locations to stringers?

Deano

I like John's terminology "blind suggestion". :thumbleft:
I was trying not to make one until I understood correctly. But since he has, I will go ahead as well.

Being a 'glass guy first, and a welder about twenty first, I would approach it differently.

I would laminate 'spacers' (or 'shims') for lack of a better term to the existing stringers so that the 'new fat stringers' were square with the rest of the hull. After this was done, you would be able to place the existing stand square on top of the new fat stringers and simply redo the stringer mounts at the bottom. After using longer bolts to go through the new fat stringers, I don't see where you would suffer anything other than the cosmetics of the differing finish on the fixed stringers.

Maybe that isn't clear or doable, but without more to work with, I hope a good "blind suggestion".

Prototype, where are you at?

Prototype

Deano said:
I like John's terminology "blind suggestion". :thumbleft:
I was trying not to make one until I understood correctly. But since he has, I will go ahead as well.

Being a 'glass guy first, and a welder about twenty first, I would approach it differently.

I would laminate 'spacers' (or 'shims') for lack of a better term to the existing stringers so that the 'new fat stringers' were square with the rest of the hull. After this was done, you would be able to place the existing stand square on top of the new fat stringers and simply redo the stringer mounts at the bottom. After using longer bolts to go through the new fat stringers, I don't see where you would suffer anything other than the cosmetics of the differing finish on the fixed stringers.

Maybe that isn't clear or doable, but without more to work with, I hope a good "blind suggestion".

Prototype, where are you at?

Yee ha? Thats a dam good idea i never thought of! I'm not not sure i can squeeze 2 inches out of it but its worth a try.
I'm in weeki wachee hills today, lake henderson this morning and lynns stitch for lunch and marty bray seat shopping earlier?

John Fenner

This is the finest of examples as to why I have never built an engine stand on a fixture and always on the boat it was going on. No two boats are the same, and then the Mon. or Fri. factor come into play where mistakes are made.

Prototype

John Fenner said:
This is the finest of examples as to why I have never built an engine stand on a fixture and always on the boat it was going on. No two boats are the same, and then the Mon. or Fri. factor come into play where mistakes are made.

I know the builder! Hunting Season should rest a lot of post as to why! I will never ever ever order a hull during hunting season again!

Deano

If your out 2" inches in ten feet, that should only be half that over the length of the stand.

That would only be 1/2" inside on one side and 1/2" outside on the other. Doesn't sound as bad that way, does it? :)

Seems like a doable fix to me. If I can help ya out with any of that let me know.

Prototype

Deano said:
If your out 2" inches in ten feet, that should only be half that over the length of the stand.
That would only be 1/2" inside on one side and 1/2" outside on the other. Doesn't sound as bad that way, does it? :)

Seems like a doable fix to me. If I can help ya out with any of that let me know.

Thanks, The idea alone is worth a tankful.

I just gotta figure out how to adjust inch an quarter angle stainless 3/16 thick to be centered. I think i will pull it and weld three new shims to make it straight. Dang i hate niger trigger fish doing things. Yep that's a politically correct fish in every saltwater aquarium store in the world.

Prototype

Thank You Gents,

John,
Some good advice there! I always pulled center from a string long ways from transom to just above the dry well for installing the bow eye's. I triangled it with two tapes from the transom and it was off a tad.

I did some relief cuts and used a 4x4 and come along on the stand to get it right. Re-welded and the 4x4 dropped after the last one. It's useless on any other hull but it now works for this one.
And people buy a used stand or rigging for an unmatched hull. I had problems with a new one, maybe not matched but certainly square to what the hull is suppose to be.

pennreelz

I have the same thing with my boat,stringers centered in the rear and 2 inches out to the left up front so i had to build off the stringers to get it right.Now my riggings wont work in another hull.I understand what your going through.