• If you log in, the ads disappear in the forum and gallery. If you need help logging in, send request for help to: webmaster@southernairboat.com

Taking motor out with no lift.

ndod833

Trying to take my motor out of my airboat without a lift. Will a standard motor hoist work? (350 engine)

terrible ted

I used my the same one on my boat as i did on my truck but it was tricky. boat had to sit off trailer so it was basically resting on the cherry picker.

Pug power

Thanks Birdslayer hay u think garage rafter would work got sbc 350 & belt reduction want to pull moter & frame together what u think

Heavy

It will work but I would run a 4X4 across several rafters and then hook the come along/ chain fall to the 4X4 and not to just one rafter. The front of the stand should be light comparatively to the engine/ gearbox so one pick point there would usually be fine. I offer this opinion not knowing the shape or condition of your garage rafters. Good Luck

Pug power

It will work but I would run a 4X4 across several rafters and then hook the come along/ chain fall to the 4X4 and not to just one rafter. The front of the stand should be light comparatively to the engine/ gearbox so one pick point there would usually be fine. I offer this opinion not knowing the shape or condition of your garage rafters. Good Luck
Heavy thanks yea pretty good rafters and 4+4 what u think a sbc350 belt reduction and rigging weigh ??

Heavy

Pug, it will around 550 to 600lbs for motor, 135lbs or so for belt drive, don't know if your fuel tank, battery, seats, how many seats? material of metal works, fuel tank full or empty? all in I would say 1200 to 1400lbs.

Pug power

Heavy thanks about what I thought thinking about renting a back hoe ?? Think it be Easter - pluse got to see what is to rent 1 for couple hours -

terrible ted

You could of easily built a lift station like a deer cleaning rack that can hold a 1000 lbs. 4x6 corner braces. Two pulleys a cable and a trailer crank. I would not risk rafters for this. I know you already did this hope everything was good.

Pug power

Thanks Ted -have not done it yet but rafters don’t work for me not enough height - try and do 4x4 and Chain fall got to go 10-11 feet high