• If you log in, the ads disappear in the forum and gallery. If you need help logging in or getting registered, send request to: webmaster@southernairboat.com

Unsuccessfull rescue mission today

Thats a real shame. So sorry to hear this. Our thoughts and prayers for the family and friends. Cajun

Where were you running your boat along the shore line, I hope not out in the surf it looked mighty ruff for an airboat

That surf looks bad for any boat. I see no problem being a little risky, within reason, to rescue a person but not for a recovery. As sad as it is for the family not having the body recovered it just isn't worth it to lose another life trying to recover a body.

Sniper":1muka58j said:
Where were you running your boat along the shore line, I hope not out in the surf it looked mighty ruff for an airboat
Maybe not the right place to ask, but why doesn't anyone make a RIB airboat for SAR? Would've probably saved the lady that was strapped to the boat up north. It could still have a flat bottom/poly and ice capability.

Des Moines Boater":2un0eam7 said:
That surf looks bad for any boat. I see no problem being a little risky, within reason, to rescue a person but not for a recovery. As sad as it is for the family not having the body recovered it just isn't worth it to lose another life trying to recover a body.
Yes I was out in that surf and it beat the hell out of me and the boat.
It really doesn't take too long for a rescue to turn into a recovery, however that doesn't seem to change the urgency to find the person.
The shore line is very much like an ocean beach ie: wide shallow wave line, then a trough, and then another sand bar, followed by progressivly deeper water.
We spent the entire day back out there, still nothing. The AB has been useful to quickly run the shoreline where other boats cannot go, likewise with the weedy ares inland.
At least it wasn't as choppy today, but still you don't dare give anything less than 100% of your attention to what you're doing. Yesterday while running in some deeper water, parrelle to the shore a wave hit the side of the boat and it rolled into the "oh schitt" angle,but by the grace of God it didn't go over or under.

Man, Your mighty brave. Those waves will take you down...I hope y'all find :( Her
Be sure to wash that salt off the boat :shock:

Well I thought you were on the shore line of the ocean as well us southern boys are not used to seeing a fresh water lake that big from the pictures it looked like you were on the Ocean and I had the same thoughts that the salt water is going to be bad on that boat,hope you can find her body so the family can have some closure and you be careful Brian Edwards and I both know what your dealing with in those kind of conditions not on a shore line but in a river and there is no margin for error especially in an Airboat

Sniper":3dvaqkph said:
Well I thought you were on the shore line of the ocean as well us southern boys are not used to seeing a fresh water lake that big from the pictures it looked like you were on the Ocean and I had the same thoughts that the salt water is going to be bad on that boat,hope you can find her body so the family can have some closure and you be careful Brian Edwards and I both know what your dealing with in those kind of conditions not on a shore line but in a river and there is no margin for error especially in an Airboat
That's OK, it was and still is quite a shock to me; Lots of folks confuse NY City with NY State. The "City" is intereting to visit, but I wouldn't live there on a bet. It's very rural up here, Dairy cows outnumber people. :lol:
The Great Lakes and the St. Lawrence Seaway are something to see!
http://www.media-seaway.com/english/tour.htm
http://nysparks.state.ny.us/regions/thousandis.asp
We're going out again this morning, hopefully with better results.
Gruesome as this may sound; after two days the body should bloat and rise, makeing it easier to spot. If not recovered today, they'll proabably call the search off. :cry:

airduds":viqkws00 said:
....but why doesn't anyone make a RIB airboat...

What does RIB mean? From the context of the question I suppose it means some kind of positive flotation - like in my jon-boat or a Boston Whaler where even if the hull fills COMPLETELY with water, it'll still float even with occupants and gear.

Never heard the acronym of RIB before. Just curious.

moodfood":ykekv1vu said:
airduds":ykekv1vu said:
....but why doesn't anyone make a RIB airboat...

What does RIB mean? From the context of the question I suppose it means some kind of positive flotation - like in my jon-boat or a Boston Whaler where even if the hull fills COMPLETELY with water, it'll still float even with occupants and gear.

Never heard the acronym of RIB before. Just curious.
Rigid Inflatable.

FP1201

I bet you get a lot of funny looks up there in New York state with that airboat like I do here in North Georgia, good luck with your search today wish I could be there to help you with my boat

Sniper":2fa3ivtq said:
FP1201

I bet you get a lot of funny looks up there in New York state with that airboat like I do here in North Georgia, good luck with your search today wish I could be there to help you with my boat
You're right about that; they're not really "funny looks" more of a WTF is that look, followed by cell phone pictures....you'd thought it was a UFO the way folks were snapping pictures, even made the evening news. 8)
Well the divers found her at 6:00 PM about 70' from where the others were rescued. Hard to believe with ALL the helo's, boats, divers, waders,... that it took three days to find that kid. At least her family has some closure. :cry:
It's been a very long day and everyones beat, both physically and mentally. :sad8:

drownings are such a tragic thing they seem unreal an all so sudden your a good man to risk your boat and your life in such a hopeless situation god bless you sir and god bless that poor childs family

Back