• If you log in, the ads disappear in the forum and gallery. If you need help logging in, send request for help to: webmaster@southernairboat.com

Who can widen my piston ring grooves???

Hello, I have an ole 290 and before anyone says not to do this, I’m doing it anyways. I can’t get the rings for the damn thing and they are stupidly expensive. Summit sells some rings of the same bore but they are a little thicker. I can’t seem to find anyone anywhere across the United States that will just widen my ring grooves by a few thou. I am in Florida and not a single machine shop will do this, I called many places in California, and I also called rebco and said 3/16 and 3/32 were too big and they won’t cut that big. If anyone has done this or has any knowledge of someone who may do this for me, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:

John Fenner

If I had a nickel for every ring land in a piston I have machined to fit a custom ring to fit including total seal gap less rings I'd likely have a hundred bucks, I am in Miami, the set of pistons and one set of the rings will be needed to get tooling set up.

If I had a nickel for every ring land in a piston I have machined to fit a custom ring to fit including total seal gap less rings I'd likely have a hundred bucks, I am in Miami, the set of pistons and one set of the rings will be needed to get tooling set up.
Hey, sorry for the late response but I am in Miami also. Found one other guy to do it for me but he’s in Okeechobee. If ur willing to help me out, just shoot me a text or call me at 786-556-3486.

I have the new set of rings. I just need to take off two more jugs. Been raining a lot so haven’t had the opportunity. Thanks