• If you log in, the ads disappear in the forum and gallery. If you need help logging in or getting registered, send request to: webmaster@southernairboat.com

Wire size

crowhater

I just cut the expanded steel off my cage so I can replace it with wire. What size wire do you guys like the best? I was looking at a 3"x3" 12g stainless or a 2"x4" 12g.

The bigger the opening the more air you can pull that means the more you can push.My new boat is going to have 4"by4" squares out of 1/8" solid stock,but it will be all stainless.

Just Remember Guys A coke can or beer can can go
through a four inch opening.!!!!!!!
Thats what a cage is all about. : :roll:

yes it can ,but the more air allowed to your prop the more it can move.I run 4X6 squares and dont have any problems .They r diamond shaped

That's why we don't run wood props.You have to be more careful with bigger wire but the advantages are well worth it.you will tell a difference just by pulling it with your truck.

AS LONG AS THERE NOT FULL ! A LITTLE NOISEE ! I GOT 2 BY 4 WITH A PANCAKE CAGE ! YOU CAN HEAR THE PROP CUT THE BAD AIR !WILL CUT IT BIGGER ONCE I GET DONE WITH THE TRIAL STUFF !

Ina recant test with a Cad. boat. It would not blow over 1200 pounds. I think there was no increase in thrust past 1900 prop rpm with two different gear ratio's. The prop was turned to almost 2200 with no increase in thrust! Were you may have seen 200p in that spread. It also blew the same # at 4200 as it did at 4800. It had 2/4 wire on it. That is good for keeping little kids arms out but bad for feeding a hurricane! Crowhater between potter tweaking your motor and cutting that barbecue grill off your cage and adding a blade?! I think you will notice a big change :D I vote for 4/4 at least.

DAN YOUR RITE ! I CAN PITCH MINE DOWN TO 4300 SEEMS TO HAVE MORE PUSH THAN 4800 ! BY MY BUTT MEASUREMENT ! I KNOW MY 2 BY4 WIRE IS HURTING MY DEAL ! I AM GOING TO CUT OUT IN THE MIDDLE AND LEAVE ABOUT 6 IN OF THE TIPS 2 BY 4 ! MY TIPS NOTHING GOING ON OUT THERE ! :D

Well all I could get my hands on was 4x2 weld wire. There is a night and day diffrence when you lok at the cage now sense I cut off the expanded steel. Guys I am scared of the big wire because I have so much stuff go into my cage during hunting season. At leaset once a season I take some kind of shore bird right into the cage. When I ran wire on my old boat it would hurt the prop every time.

I was looking at the full cage/pancake cage question and was wondering what the relationship is assuming same wire size for both, Airflow/Drag between pancake and full cage? :?

I've only had 11 gauge 2 by 4 wire on all my boats. I didn't notice any difference between the full cage and the pancake. I've checked them both with my GPS and there isn't a bit of difference. I like the pancake just because it is easier to work on the engine. The full cage is much safer to protect the prop from trees and to protect people from getting burned on the exhaust.

My old boat was direct drive and a seagull will do some real damage to a wood paddle prop. empty shotgun shells , decoy weights, or decoys are some other serious threats.

Last duck season I had a teal decoy that some how worked its way out of the bag and back to the prop. Punched it clean through the 2x4 wire. That will get your attention. Got lucky, no damage to the prop at all. Just a few plastic smear marks on one of the blades (carbon fiber).

I turned a corner one day and blew through a flock of pelican and got hit by one of those big suckers. There was pelicans all over the place. Before someone starts in on me there was nothing I could do, my boat does not have airbrakes.

Back