• If you log in, the ads disappear in the forum and gallery. If you need help logging in or getting registered, send request to: webmaster@southernairboat.com

ZZ383 Or LS2

I am sure you will get some better info from some real carmotor guys but all the boats/barges I see running this size love that 502 BIG BLOCK from chevrolet some even step it up to the 572 bigblock crate motor from GM. Check out the e-bay prices and Summit and Jegs. GOOD LUCK

On a boat that size I agree a 502 would be the way to go its just to much boast for a small block to do what you want and at the elevation you are at ,you need all the help you can get from the motor

Does anyone know the approximate weight difference between a small block and a big block engine? It seems like getting stuck and getting unstuck can be a matter of a few pounds in some instances. A 16x8 boat will weigh a lot , will there be plastic on the bottom too? How thick will the hull be? I'm very interested in other folks' opinion on which motor is best for your application because it is similar to mine.

If a big block is what you choose Potter at Cadillac Performance is a good way to go. The Cadillac has a weight advantage over the chevy and has great performance potential. Dont get me wrong, I am a chevy guy and there is a chevy on my boat, but after seeing what the Cadillac can do I feel it is an excellent choice. Potter has a post on one of his more moderate motors, but as always he can go as far as you want to go!! The driveability and manners of the Cadillac coupled with performance make it an excelleant choice. If you go small block go with the LS series motors but big block I fell Cadillac is the best choice. P.S. A moderate Cadillac is 500hp and 600lbs. torque :shock: . JMO.

I TOO A CHEVY MAN ,BUT AS FOR THE BIG BLOCKS ! GM CRATE BIG BLOCKS ARE SUB STANDARD ! ONE BOAT MANUFACTURE HAD SIX OF THEM WITH HOLES IN THEM 572 S THAT IS ! THE OTHER MANUFACTURE HAD FOUR ! THATS IN ONE MONTH PERIOD ! MOST SAID OPERATOR ERROR ! BUT IT MAKES YOU THINK ! NOT SO GOOD FOR A BOAT MOTOR ! IF YOU HAVE ONE BUILT MAYBE DIFFERENT ! SEEN ALOT OF GM CRATE MOTORS WASNT REALLY IMPRESSED ! SO I WENT WITH A CADILLAC ! MY BUDDIES BITCH , BUT NO MORE ! VERY SATISFIED WITH THE CHOICE ! 2600 POUND BOAT RUNS LIKE A 13 FOOTER ! BUT I GOT IT POTTER STYLE ! AND PARTS BY POTTER ! WHICH MAKES IT JUST THAT MUCH BETTER ! :shock:AND HELP FROM WATER THUNDER AND 141 FOR THE SET UP ! WHICH DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE ! ! :roll:WHICH SAVE ME A LOT OF WALLET AND TIME ! :D THANKS GUYS ! WHICH IT WOULDNT BE POSSIBLE WITH OUT UNDERPRESSURE DOING HIS HOMEWORK !

Big blocks are the only way to go on a boat that size. There are only a handful of boats up here that will run dry ground, all have big block. Go with a small block and you better keep it to a 14x8 with a seat up top and then you can freeze.

THREE OF THEM HAD ROD S THREW THE PAN ! TOO MANY RPMS TOO LONG I THINK ON THE REST ! NOT THE EXPERT HERE !JUST MY THINKING !ALL I SEEN WAS 572 EVERWHERE ! :D I THINK MOST OF THEM IS OPERATOR ERROR ! :shock:

Fatboy, you don't mean that somebody might have held the Loud Peddle down too long do you ? :lol:
That's the #1 cause of good engines goin bad :shock: :shock:

454 H.O. will get it done, if you look at all the survey, and seismic work boat the common denominator is most commonly the 454 has proved it's self in the hard work . Haven't heard to much good about the 502/502 and the 572. fact of the matter is the larger the bore the thinner your water jackets are and the boat will not cool as efficiently and you chance for problems are greater.

JMO

But a lot of boat workers will agree.

In all the years I have been working on high performance engines I have learned one thing. NEVER comment or assume what went wrong with an engine unless you are the person who disassembles it. These type circumstances are when the peanut gallery is at it's worst! Nobody here can possibly know what cause the problem unless they tore the motor apart! I learned 15 or so years ago from a engine builder who I admire recommended someone not use a crank that was balanced by a large brand name company. He saw what was wrong and told the owner, well the rotating assembly vendor stated we guarantee it and it's fine. Well the engine builder stated it will not make it out of the burn out box before blowing up. Well he was such a knowledgeable engine builder that's exactly what happened that BBC gernaded in the water box. Now all everybody knew was who built the motor. Nobody other then me and him knew he did not want to use that crankshaft and he knew how and when it would fail. Of coarse the peanut gallery thought oh his motor blew up instead of knowing how knowledgeable he was over everybody else! P.S. the crank slung out the Mallory slug that was used to balance the motor! The sorry vendor pushed the mallory in the end of the counterweight instead of thru it. Anyway all motors will blow up and all motors can be made to last for a long time. It's equally up to the engine builder and the owner! Ya feel out who treats their stuff like a moron and build them an anvil and the people who treat their stuff with respect you tend to push the HP levels a little more!

I love to run an engine that has been balanced. You can't appreciate how sweet they really are until you've had one.
They give you the feeling that they'll run forever if you just keep some oil in them, and they spin like an electric motor.

The Mallory slug in the end of the counterweight ? Geez, I ain't an engine builder and I know better than that. :shock:

Back