Putting blinds up on the Tx coast....

RufflingFeathers
Southern Airboat Member

Putting blinds up on the Tx coast....

Postby RufflingFeathers » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:52 am

Does anyone knows the laws regarding putting a blind up on the Tx coast....? I see them all the time but its not private property its public.... I was wondering what if i put out a blind on the coast only to return to have someone hunting out of it..... whats the law on that since the land is public?
Ruffling Feather's one bird at a time....

Ruffling Feather's Guide Service
Capt. Brandon Kendrick
rufflingfeathers@yahoo.com
https://www.facebook.com/RufflingFeathersGuideService
936-671-3477
16ft Alumitech sb350

80 panther
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Putting blinds up on the Tx coast....

Postby 80 panther » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:09 pm

You can get a permit from tpw and register your blinds and it gives you the right to kick anybody out of your blind if they don't leave you call a game warden and he makes them leave. I believe that's how it works contact tpw to find out for sure :texas:

RufflingFeathers
Southern Airboat Member

Postby RufflingFeathers » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:22 am

thanks man will check it out
Ruffling Feather's one bird at a time....

Ruffling Feather's Guide Service
Capt. Brandon Kendrick
rufflingfeathers@yahoo.com
https://www.facebook.com/RufflingFeathersGuideService
936-671-3477
16ft Alumitech sb350

SHABA
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SHABA » Tue May 22, 2012 10:36 pm

RufflingFeathers wrote:Does anyone knows the laws regarding putting a blind up on the Tx coast....? I see them all the time but its not private property its public.... I was wondering what if i put out a blind on the coast only to return to have someone hunting out of it..... whats the law on that since the land is public?

Anybody can put up a duck blind... If you put one up you need to be the first one out to your blind. If someone else is, you can kindly enough see if they would leave if they do not want to they can stay and hunt out of it since is it is in public waters. This was told to me by a TFW Warden out of Rockport.

Later Mitch
2007 Diamondback, Sensenich 3 blade wide 80", Stringer Soft Drive 2.38 Reduction Drive! TAA511

Moritz
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Moritz » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:31 am

Some one can build a blind right next to you.

Capt.Legg
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Capt.Legg » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:17 pm

They are free game. Respect everyone's and they will respect yours. Act like a complete jerk when you show up 5 minutes before shooting time and find someone in your blind and its liable to be cut in half with a chainsaw the next time you want to use it. Just sayin. This topic comes up every year. I've been hunting the coast many years. I have several permanent blinds but if the birds shift I hunt other people's from time to time. Never really had a problem. You just always need a plan B nearby. The system works if you let it. Some people get a little butt hurt when they put a bunch of money and time into blinds and find loafers in them. That's the risk when you put a blind up in public and you have to accept it and get over it or don't build it. You can always hunt the bank. Late season that's about the most successful way anyway. All that being said though.......respect the guide and give him a little more room. He's trying to put food on the table. And if you piss him off who's side do you think gamy will be on. Some weekend warrior or his neighbor that's feeding him intel everyday and taking him hunting when he's off shift.

wal1809
Southern Airboat Member

Postby wal1809 » Tue May 14, 2013 4:51 pm

Some places you can and some not. You need to find out exactly where you are going to build one. The law changed and the water line is not always considered public. Some ranches proved they were paying taxes on land for years and fought the state for the right to keep hunter off of their property. They won.

If you put a blind in a legal place it is free game. If you get beat to the blind, they own it for the morning, or at least until they leave. If you jack with that person in that blind you are in violation of law and quite easily subject to getting thrown in jail and posted a bond for release. With this day and age with cell phones one can record the incident quite easily. Once viewed by the GW it is up to him whether you violated the hunter harrasment law.

21DiamondB
Southern Airboat Member

Postby 21DiamondB » Tue May 14, 2013 6:13 pm

There's two ways to look at that Capt. There's those that think they own the bay because they are guides and use everyones resources to put food on the table, and those that use the resources to spend quality time as an outdoorsman to enjoy it as a getaway. Where i hunt, the gamewardens aren't too fond of the guides because they use everyone's resources to put food on the table. When treated as an unlimited resource and people think they have more right to it than others because it's a job they chose, some don't agree to that. The fact of the matter is no one has more of a right to the bays than the next person. Some guides don't see it as such, and are given the bad rap. You can't be quick to think that because you're a guide that the GW is on your side, because that's not always the case.
-------- 17 x 8 Diamondback - 454ci. LS3 EFI - CH4 2:52 - Sensenich 4-Blade NGR ---------

80 panther
Southern Airboat Member

Postby 80 panther » Thu May 23, 2013 11:40 am

I was wrong years back they tried this and it did not work. If you build one on public waters it belongs to the public if you have any questions you can call senior warden A. FLORES -361-816-7122 This goes for blinds built on boats with TX numbers without a motor on it. if you leave it out it's public property. so i'm looking at 4 post and a deck with wrap around camo.not to many ppl carry thier own camo for blinds :texas: :rebel:

wal1809
Southern Airboat Member

Postby wal1809 » Wed May 29, 2013 11:44 am

I had a run in incident this year. I had a line on an easy hunt to take my wife out and shoot some redhead birds. It was the last weekend of the season. In East Matti Bay every freakin point has a blind on it. Well if you don't hunt the points you aint killing red heads, that is why the blinds are there. So we picked a blind, pulled up and dropped the wife and gear off in the blind. I commenced to put out 10 dozen blocks.

I get settled in the blind and ten minutes later I see this little dingy looking boat crossing East bay, headed right to us. He parked 200 yards out because he can cross the flat in the dingy. Walking to our location. I met him in the blocks. HIs intent was to run us off because his guide boss told him to hold that blind and he was bringing customers. I said "Nope". It went from that to a finger being pointed at me and a stern "I am warning you to leave" statement from the youngster towards me.

With the exchange my wife had become fearful. Fearing if something happened to me how could she protect herself. There is no reason in the world she should have to fear standing anywhere in a free America. When I saw that fear on her face you can imagine I was now in a red zone. You can call me everything under the sun, I don't care. You can say whatever makes you happy and I aint losing my kewl. You tread on my freedom, you scare my wife or you touch my Labradors, I'll gut you like a fish.

This fine oustanding person realized he was in the wrong place and had said the wrong things. He walked on water to get out of there. I am glad he did.

This was not a matter of me taking something from anyone. I counted 9 blinds from the blind I was in. The guide brought his people out and went to the blind next to us. We all got shooting in. It was just a matter of that outfit wanted to build blinds and run as many people off that they could. WEll I don't run off. I am a nice respectable person, a 300 pound teddy bear. I only get mean when mine are threatened.

Return to “Texas Airboating News & Events”