Intro

Chief 21
Southern Airboat Member

Intro

Post by Chief 21 »

Well what can i say but the fact is that im new to all this air blowing machinery 8) Im a crazy Kayaker from way down South near Brownsville and Port-Mansfield Texas. Been fishing of my yak for merely 15 years now and was given the opportunity to go gar fishing on an air-boat. Had a crazy and awesome time and since then been looking for an air boat. Problem is that these boats run pretty expensive so I opted to look for a low budget project. Prob 2 is that we don't have many air-boats running down here as well so the list is very short and expensive. Found a setup rigged with a 1968 chevy corvair engine w cage seats and throttle assembly for 1500$. Wanted to know what u all thought and what would b the limitations of such setup? Dont want anything big, maybe a two person set up. Yes I would also need a Hull. My question about a hull is how expensive would it b to build my own? Was thinking of a john boat but have read its not a good idea! :? Thank you all for your input! :thumbleft:
Attachments
This is the set up Im thinking of Purchasing!
This is the set up Im thinking of Purchasing!
20131027_133445.jpg (68.03 KiB) Viewed 8607 times
20131027_133617.jpg
20131027_133617.jpg (82.1 KiB) Viewed 8607 times
20131027_133538.jpg
20131027_133538.jpg (82.75 KiB) Viewed 8607 times

Wild Bill
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: Intro

Post by Wild Bill »

Think you might do just as well bolting a prop on the back of a wrecker Chevy 350. or better.. Yeah you would have to build rigging and buy a prop and adapter but.. Search corvair on here, pretty marginal and problematic from what I read. DD Caddy can be an inexpensive build and impressive performer.

Could never understand the 1/2 cage

dougeey
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by dougeey »

half cages are to get under low bridges turn motor off set prop sideways

AirRanger
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by AirRanger »

dougeey wrote:half cages are to get under low bridges turn motor off set prop sideways
I was also ignorant to the reason. Now knowing, I would have a hinged two piece folding cage if low bridges were to be problematic. That open prop makes me a little squeemish.

Chief 21
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Chief 21 »

Sorry but what's a DD Caddy :( So then this set up is not a good idea? :? The cage was also a concern to me so I was gona add the other halve for security purposes. Is this set up worth an AR15, that's what he'll trade for it?

Wild Bill
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Wild Bill »

Here's a search I did on Corvair, read peoples opinions on them and make up your own mind.
http://www.southernairboat.com/phpBB3/s ... mit=Search

A DD Caddy is a direct Drive (so prop just bolted to an adapter on the crank) Cadilac engine out of an old Caddy. 500 cubic inch is the prefered displacement however they also build a 472. As you can see they are a lot more popular by the number of topics on this search. They are quite light for the displacement and seem to perform pretty good even stock.

http://www.southernairboat.com/phpBB3/s ... mit=Search

I would rather have an AR 15 than a Corvair :D

swampfox
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by swampfox »

Just my opinion.....I wouldn't trade my A.R fer that setup. U will b very dissapointed with the performance/problems faced with that motor. If ur trading that a.r. fer a motor, or setup, I would look up this guy James up on here. I don't know him buy no means, but I remember n some of his posts that he was willing to trade his 305 SBC fer guns, etc. I do bleive its setup to be direct drive. If its in good running condition, I'd say its worth triple that of the whole corvair setup, riggin n all. Again j.m.o. b a good start to a starter boat. May take a lil while longer to get going n that sux, but u would b way ahead of the game I.m.o. than that corvair deal. Prop adapters r cheap n props sell on here cheap all the time. Same as hulls too. 13,6 by 7,6 gilleo hull in the classifieds fer 850 now, n Florida is far, but many many good deals. Good luck though, AIRBOATING IS LIKE CRACK!!! :cheers:
Diamondback 0235c sprayer/ predator gore and powerplant??? Stroked out 65 continental :)

dougeey
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by dougeey »

AirRanger wrote:
dougeey wrote:half cages are to get under low bridges turn motor off set prop sideways
I was also ignorant to the reason. Now knowing, I would have a hinged two piece folding cage if low bridges were to be problematic. That open prop makes me a little squeemish.
Some of the first airboats built didn't have any cages at all thay were hand started and the cage was in the way!!!!! I have a full cage I like my body parts!!!!!!!!

coldairman
Southern Airboat Member

Post by coldairman »

Looks like my first airboat setup I bought when I was 16 back in 1976. I was told a guy in Port Arthur made a lot of these setups with 110 Corvair and 1/2 cage made from 1/2" solid rod. It looks exactly like what I had. Mine was mounted on a 16' deep/wide john boat and actually ran pretty well (no dry) with a solid aluminum prop. The demise of my Corvair was when I decided to get rid of the cooling fan and shroud as I thought it was not needed and robbing horsepower. Well it did run faster..... I was outrunning my buddy that had a 125 Lycoming until it got so hot that it blew a sparkplug out of the hole!!! $1500 is what I paid for the whole boat and had lots of good times with it. This setup would probably do what you are needing in Mansfield but you will always want bigger,faster,louder, so I suggest you save the 1500 and put it into a rig with a real airboat hull which will do a lot more and be a lot safer in deep water. You can find a direct drive auto or ground power rigged boat at reasonable price to get started but like I said, you'll still want bigger and faster later.

Chief 21
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Chief 21 »

Thanx to all who replied. I will b taking u alls advise and chill for something else. I still want something not so crazy and efficient. Ill keep my eyes and ears open. What about a 4.3. Will it b enough and somewhat more efficint than a 350?

Wild Bill
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Wild Bill »

Some decent 4.3 DD boats around but junkyard 350 would probably make you happier with a little over 100 lbs extra,(cheap roller cam pull out for $700 will run better than a 4.3 imo) Caddy about another 50 lbs. something like that. Direct drive (least expensive) you want displacement and torque. 350 Chevy direct drive is pretty entry level and most people on here will say they suck if you want to try and do dry. 4.3 with a reduction unit and good prop if you build the engine can be impressive but your looking $10000 to start. Don't do a john boat hull, building yourself like myself always more expensive than buying a boat but if you buy one the money goes out. You need some torque for these fans.

Small block Chevy DD boat most inexpensive boat to build imo. If you can find a caddy in a car for $600 I would replace the timing chain and bolt it up! DD caddy would be my first thought. I know your on a budget but engine is one of the areas where you shouldn't make a mistake. Caddy is a long way from a corvair but you won't be disappointed im sure

the only engine that you will notice your tank actually filling up while you run it is an ecotec. Even the little 20 hp motors are running a crap load of fuel so you should expect 4 to 6 gallons an hour cruising.

Chief 21
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Chief 21 »

Cool deal. Ill b checking in hopefully get a hull soon and begin my project:) Thank u all for yout great input and informative suggestions :)

ridinskinnywater
Southern Airboat Member

Post by ridinskinnywater »

Wild Bill wrote:Think you might do just as well bolting a prop on the back of a wrecker Chevy 350. or better.. Yeah you would have to build rigging and buy a prop and adapter but.. Search corvair on here, pretty marginal and problematic from what I read. DD Caddy can be an inexpensive build and impressive performer.

Could never understand the 1/2 cage
:fishing 1/2 cage for turning engine off an getting under them low bridges then start up an go on back to hunt the tide lands on south tx ranches

Stewie
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Stewie »

My buddy had a corvair setup on a old 12 aluminum glades/grass style airboat it ran decent as long as you could keep a belt on it replaced everything to try and solve the belt eating issue never got it fixed! Sold it because he got tired of spending more money on belts then gas lol ! :old_glory: :florida: :rebel:

aggiejim
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by aggiejim »

3years ago I HAD A 4 CYLINDER ON A SUPER WIDE JOHN BOAT great giggin boat in fact still have it now I have gone threw 3 boats stepping up every time now with a 500 hp ls get ready its addicting welcome to the club of broke airboaters
16 x 8 floral city ls2 6.0 aluminun block 2.3 ch3
can u say addicted
16.5 x8 alumintech new build
6.0 ls2 2.3 ch3 3 blade
the aggie

MarshRider
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by MarshRider »

In Utah, the half cage is so the airboat can come
into the garage in cold weather.