Little help from from my Cajun brothers

Sweet water 13
Southern Airboat Member

Little help from from my Cajun brothers

Postby Sweet water 13 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:32 am

Im new to airboats, but been around them all my life. Just bought a used boat out of Franklin,La. I'd love to ask some questions about handling to some people that have similar boats and run in Cajun country,swamps ect. It looks like everyone who lives around Franklin and surrounding area have a boat like mine with same characteristics,maybe y'all could help me with some advice on setup? This boat looks like an American slash robichaux type hull and is heavy. It dives in the turns hard,like a bass boat falling of the pad,and I have to keep a death grip on the stick while on plane in deep water. This boat requires all my past experience with boats to keep her out of the trees while navigating turn in bayous. When in the swamp, easy to drive and navigate,does this sound normal? I tried to run up on bank yesterday, finally made it up bank to a flat area of grass just to find out she won't run dry a 4800 rpms. Turned nose around with push from my truck and ran it back down into water. Whatca think? :dontknow:
Last edited by Sweet water 13 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sweet Water 13
Ronnie's 15 x 71/2, 3/16 aluminum hull, 502, 2.38 belt,3 blade R series ,3/8 poly,extreme duty swamp boat

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Re: Little help from from my Cajun brothers

Postby cntry141iq » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:09 am

I am not from LA but it sounds like you are running on the nose .. check the level of your engine front to back. You should be a nlittle highe rin the back and it sounds like you are a little lower in the back. There are lots of threads on here about engine angles/level
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

HuntingBigun
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby HuntingBigun » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:23 am

Your gear ratio and blade combo could use a little work, lots of great props for BBC out now, so post up a pic of your boat running deep water and we can help. Also look at your poly close and make sure no bad spots. WHat RPM are you turing at WOT?

When your on plane in deep water how far from the back of the boat is the spray coming out? then in a turn you proable see the spray move all the way to the nose on the side you are turning two if you running nose heavy.

Welcome to the club and engoy your boat.
Bigun

http://www.krvsa.com

http://krvsa.com/product/airboat-raffle-tickets/

Click for pics = http://www.flickr.com/photos/huntingbigun/

Killin Time 15.6 Diamondback Deckover Mast 808 Hp SC LS 7 /KRVSA /NRA

Airboatcapt2
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Airboatcapt2 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:29 am

If you would like to bring it by the shop we will be glad to take a peek at it for you for free.
Faron Floyd
American Airboat Corp
Orange, Texas
www.americanairboats.com
409-920-0716 Cell
Airboatcapt2@aol.com

Sweet water 13
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Sweet water 13 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:22 pm

Thx for all the replies. Wot is 4800 on dry ground, prop pitched 2,1/2 mark and I cruise at 3400-3800 deep water,2000 in woods in skinny water . I can get her to spray better than halfway past middle of boat in a straight canal ,but in hard turns in Blind River(crooked like a snake) the spray is way upfront. I sure don't open her up all the way in deep water ,she will start walking side to side,until you feel like she going to be out of contol. I do have some cups in between t bar in back from stumps,logs, and cypress knees and the poly by no means looks like glass. I'll attach a pic of my rear engine mounts I have been discussing in auto section,maybe need to change out to poly bushings before I start adding washers :scratch: :louisiana:
Sweet Water 13
Ronnie's 15 x 71/2, 3/16 aluminum hull, 502, 2.38 belt,3 blade R series ,3/8 poly,extreme duty swamp boat

Sweet water 13
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Sweet water 13 » Mon May 28, 2012 8:24 am

Thxs; for the advice. I replaced rear engine mounts, which raised the engine about 1/2 inch. That one move made the boat perform a 1000% better, it was riding on the nose horribly, now it drives so easy and all the torque is gone out of the stick, even the gear box is quiet(the motor is held more firmly in place with new mounts). She is actually sliding in the curves not biting. I took a little pitch out of the prop and got the Rpms up to 5100 and that seemed to help also. I lifted engine a little more to account for added weight of full load and have some more testing to do, but looking forward it. :louisiana: :-D
Sweet Water 13

Return to “Louisiana Airboaters”