Glades south of 41

Duece
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Glades south of 41

Post by Duece »

I was down at the Oasis Visitor's center this weekend watching the buggy driver's license video when they talked about airboating south of U.S. 41. I thought that the stairsteps unit was closed a long time ago, but apparentley zone's 4&5 are open for airboats. I was wondering has anybody been down there? How rocky is it? I used to airboat zone's 2&3 (west of 4&5) and it good get real rocky near the hammocks if you were'nt careful. I haven't been down there in 15 years or better, and would like to go back, any info. would be greatly appreciated.

Duece
"Welcome to the Dark Side..."
14'x8' Diamondback 6.2 Pleasurecraft Marine Levitator 550 hp/2.37:1 Oxbox 80" JX Series Sensnich Prop

robert4570
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by robert4570 »

Duece ,
The Cypress aint what it used to be .
I haven't renewed my cypress airboat sticker since designated trails where established back in 2000 and haven't been back to that area( zone 4 )since.
I was in stairteps last weekend, ( zone 1 ) and it was dry everywhere even in the strands.

Here's link hope it helps.

NPS ORV Information
http://home.nps.gov/applications/parks/ ... CF66B3.htm

Robert
NRA BENEFACTOR

Live Free or Die
"When there is no way out - Find a way further in."
http://www.warrifles.com/forums/index.php

basketcase0302
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Big Cypress

Post by basketcase0302 »

Duece,

Hunted Bear Island/Turner River units for 8-9 years. Had my boat built at 14 foot to hunt the Stairsteps unit. Pretty piss-poor for airboaters to get only about 2,000 acres in the Stairsteps unit to hunt out of 387,000 acres in Big Cypress.

I'm like Robert :cry: I stopped hunting there when they implemented the "driver license" you speak of getting. Stopped a lot of tradition when they did that, (no one 16 or younger able to drive, designated trails, etc). Just the annual vehicle inspection was already a pain :cry:

Good luck cause I know there's still game there.

Basketcase

Duece
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Duece »

I really don't care about the hunting. I just looked at the map and saw there were some trails down to Lostman's Pines and a couple of other good looking hammocks that I wouldn't mind exploring. I'm always looking for a new place to ride. I ask again, because no one really touched on it, how rocky is it down there?

Duece
14'x8' Diamondback 6.2 Pleasurecraft Marine Levitator 550 hp/2.37:1 Oxbox 80" JX Series Sensnich Prop

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Rich Andrews »

when the water is low(in the trails) plenty of cap rock is visible.Enough to have made me turn around in a polymer boat! You'll see SS wrapped hulls down there for a reason.
Big Ole Deckover in the making...

Duece
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Duece »

Does anyone know where you can check the water levels for zone 4? If not, if anybody ever has a chance to drive by Mitchell's landing see it there's any water, wouldn't mind ridin' down there. I never got down there last year b/c I never knew what the water situation was and that's a good haul from where I'm at not to be able to ride.

Duece

Eric Kimmel
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Eric Kimmel »

I haven't been out since the first weekend in January and it had dried up enough where it was hard for me to get to the Pines so its probably gotton a drier. Not much area to run since the ORV plan. I talked to another friend of mine and he was out the 2nd wekend and said it was worse not worth driving far to go for thirty minutes of trails. I have been waiting for the NPS to release the additional secondary airboat trails and for a couple of trails in the Bird Cage or Sparrow zone that we had met and asked for. Hopefuly now that USFWS did not include the areas inside Zone 4 as part of their Critical Habitat Designations we will be allowed to run there some. I met with USFWS two years ago and they were willing to work with the NPS to open up some of this area during non-nesting season. There will be a few more trails this season. Not nearly enough to make up he loss but folks still need to push for access.
Eric

Duece
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: Glades south of 41

Post by Duece »

I have not had the gumption yet to go down there, but once the water comes up I'm going. I was looking on Google Earth today and saw several hammocks I'd like to explore. Are there any camps or shelters down there to get out of the weather? Summer is upon us and I'd hate to get caught in all that open country in a thunderstorm.

Duece

Duece
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re:

Post by Duece »

Duece wrote:Does anyone know where you can check the water levels for zone 4? If not, if anybody ever has a chance to drive by Mitchell's landing see it there's any water, wouldn't mind ridin' down there. I never got down there last year b/c I never knew what the water situation was and that's a good haul from where I'm at not to be able to ride.

Duece
Does anybody know what the water levels are like down there? Can you call them and find out? I would think they would close them much like the wca's due to very high or very low water. Got some guys wanting to make a ride down there to explore, any ideas??

Duece

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Rich Andrews »

Deuce RBCZAK or something like that posts the water level situation down there on this site. I bet there is still plenty of water. Last month is was near level with loop road at the launch sites.
Big Ole Deckover in the making...

allllchemist
Southern Airboat Member

Post by allllchemist »

I use this map for water level sites: http://sofia.usgs.gov/eden/stationlist-area.php

then I use this page to get the levels: http://www.sofia.usgs.gov/eden/eve/index.php

- Shawn

Duece
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Duece »

allllchemist wrote:I use this map for water level sites: http://sofia.usgs.gov/eden/stationlist-area.php

then I use this page to get the levels: http://www.sofia.usgs.gov/eden/eve/index.php

- Shawn
Interesting sites. Thanks for the info. If you look at the site info. it gives you the average elevation of the land surface, and you can then determine the depths. I looked at BCA 20 site down there, and the water is almost 1' below the natural ground surface. Not good for airboating, especially in that neck of the woods!

Duece

westsidE185
Southern Airboat Member

Post by westsidE185 »

If always wanted to hunt down there off the airboats but never have got my boat checked out. While hunting you can't get off the trail to go and find deer right? U have to stop you boat and shot then go and walk and get your deer and bring it back to your boat correct? I know there some monsters in stair steps. But if it's like I think it is I'll keep my boat parked In the back yard

Duece
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Duece »

westsidE185 wrote:If always wanted to hunt down there off the airboats but never have got my boat checked out. While hunting you can't get off the trail to go and find deer right? U have to stop you boat and shot then go and walk and get your deer and bring it back to your boat correct? I know there some monsters in stair steps. But if it's like I think it is I'll keep my boat parked In the back yard
Thought I read somewhere there weren't any more deer down there! http://myfwc.com/media/464629/Deer_Stai ... Status.pdf That's old data, but even then they weren't finding many deer, and I thought I saw where the numbers in 12' and 13' were 0. I know hunting down there's been closed for at least the last 2 seasons.

Duece

westsidE185
Southern Airboat Member

Post by westsidE185 »

Yea I heard the same but it was for unit 3&4 or something like that. That's what happens when you have more panthers then an area can handle. And still cry endangered

Timcat
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Timcat »

In my opinion, PYTHONs are the problem! Gators in the area have become extremely fierce due to diminishing food supply. I wish I knew of a solution......?

Duece
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Duece »

Went down this past Friday and while it was a beautiful ride, there was 1 VERY disturbing issue with our trip. Once we got out of any noticeable cypress, we saw very little wildlife. I noticed it early on, but did not say anything until later into our trip. We saw 1 osprey once we reached the mangroves and then saw 1 heron about 1/2 way back to the landing. We did not see 1 gator! I cannot remember a time when you went to the Glades and didn't see a gator. Very strange. All-in-all we had a great ride and got to explore some neat country. We also noticed it does appear they did allocate a few more trails and extended the western end of another trail to the west compared to some of the older maps. Anyhow, took me forever to get down there, but glad I went, we really enjoyed it.

Duece

Eric Kimmel
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Eric Kimmel »

you should have seen a few gators in that pond on the left about 1/2 way to coconuts theres usually a couple in thr especially if the water is down. if you made it to the mangroves you must have gone just outside the parkline don't get caught Harley got banned for a year he parked a hundred feet off the designated trail and technically he could have pushed it that far but the ranger stick ticketed him and he was banned for a year. I quit going only been once and that was to help my sons girlfriend do a film project i just get sick not being to go to the heads i like to visit to me its still the best place i eer airboated but i neer really airboated much anywhere else and really only know a little of south of the loop

Duece
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Duece »

We were on the marked trail when we were in the mangroves.

Duece

Eric Kimmel
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Eric Kimmel »

great that must have been one that got added

broncobill
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by broncobill »

I thought that you were banned from that area if you couldn't produce an airboat registration dating back to 1988.. I used like to ride out of Mitchell' launch and ride to coconuts and lost pines.

Hutch
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Hutch »

Would someone please explain the advantage of having a pre 1988 registration?

Eric Kimmel
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Eric Kimmel »

It only helps if you had owned and registered an airboat in 1988 to continue riding in east everglade the area ENP took over in 1988. In the big cypress that does not apply

Duece
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Duece »

Yeah you can ride there, but not too much riding, although better than it has been according to old maps. I did not know about the ENP 1988 ruling. What a croc of shite!

Duece

Return to “Florida Airboaters”