Airboat Crash at Camp Holly ?

Strokerboat383
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Airboat Crash at Camp Holly ?

Post by Strokerboat383 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:10 am

I was just reading the morning news and ran across an article saying there was an airboat accident at Camp Holly Friday evening.

The article says there was 10 people on 2 boats and 2 people were hurt but doesn't say much else.
Either; one was a tour boat, or both boats were seriously over loaded.

It just doesn't sound right,,

Does anybody know anything else about this?

http://www.cfnews13.com/content/news/cf ... ml?cid=rss
A WORK IN PROGRESS > 13' Lazer , 383 Stroker, and what ever else I can come with.

Gonzo
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Airboat Crash at Camp Holly ?

Post by Gonzo » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:37 am

Anybody that rides in that area knows about the RIDE BOAT! No details as of yet so I will refrain from comment. Gonzo

BlowInIt
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by BlowInIt » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:50 am

1 tour boat, and 1 private boat. 2 people on private boat were injured from what I here. They landed a chopper but not sure on condition of those 2 people. It was only a matter of time before a incident like this occured to be honest.

I hope the best for all involved

Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Southern Style » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:44 am

Heard a scenario of how it happened, but of course that was from "THEIR" side.. Not sure how much weight I put into it.. And am also familiar with the "Ride Boat"..

So, with that... I am still up in the air on how it happened.. Just hope the injured occupants will be OK.. Hate to hear..

When I left Camp Holly Saturday I headed back to Lk. Washington to load up and ran into someone headed out saying there was a boat at the bottom north of the dam.. Hope they are alright as well..
DONT ARGUE WITH STUPIDITY...THEY WILL JUST DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.....
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO

Waterthunder
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Waterthunder » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:14 am

Just a warning I have have seen two close calls with a large boat hauling several people riding in the smaller ride boat trails. Good thing the 14ft an smaller boats were maneuverable and were able to avoid a collision. Everyone be very careful when ridding that area.
THE PROOF IS IN THE PROP!

"If you copy someone you will only achieve what has already been done."

http://waterthunder.com/
321-508-5316

doubledown0540
Southern Airboat Member

Post by doubledown0540 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:03 am

From just being in a accident back in Jan of this year i fully understand how it happens. Thank God i will recover over time. Prayers for the injured.
13ft Rivermaster with poly
sv 540 with mid compression pistons
72 in water walker signature series
rigged for me and the wife
Completely built by me.

gblack15
Southern Airboat Member

Post by gblack15 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:46 am

I completely quit taking my boat south of the 192 bridge for exactly this reason. Too much traffic from Big boats filled with 10+ people on the trails and driving faster than they should be.

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:12 pm

"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

gruprgetr
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by gruprgetr » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:48 pm

gonna get worse with the water dropping

same outfit had the SAME problem when they were at lake cypress
TOURBARGES DONT BELONG IN THE TRAILS!

folks gonna have to start making reports to the U S CoastGuard and follow through with it for this to stop or its gonna get worse then it'll be just like it is on Toho............Tourbarges only :rebel:
(SWAMP GAS)
IF YOU PISS SOMEONE OFF MEANS THEY HEARD YOU
AIRBOATS DONT SPREAD HYDRILLA

AIRBOATS DONT CAUSE ANIMOSITY- PEOPLE DO!!
PROTECT YOUR FUTURE WEAR A PFD AND VOTE!!
on a dark calm night ya can hear the cryaker scratchin on your poly

rebmurray1
Southern Airboat Member

Post by rebmurray1 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:08 am

I was in that accident. We were on vacation at the time. The two injured were me and an elderly gentleman. We were on the tour boat and hit a private boat on a narrow waterway. I sufferred severe contusions to my head, stitches in my ear, sprained neck and serious contusion to my right leg as I was thrown overboard and hit the other boat with my head before falling in the water. The elderly gentlman who was not part of our family was taking the trip with his wife had a broken leg and severe laceration as he was thrown into the private party boat. While at the hospital we heard that he would recover, I am on the mend as well although i do still feel like i got hit by a boat! My children sufferred minor sprains and bruises. It was very tramatic for all involved.

yobee
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by yobee » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:55 pm

rebmurray1 wrote:I was in that accident. We were on vacation at the time. The two injured were me and an elderly gentleman. We were on the tour boat and hit a private boat on a narrow waterway. I sufferred severe contusions to my head, stitches in my ear, sprained neck and serious contusion to my right leg as I was thrown overboard and hit the other boat with my head before falling in the water. The elderly gentlman who was not part of our family was taking the trip with his wife had a broken leg and severe laceration as he was thrown into the private party boat. While at the hospital we heard that he would recover, I am on the mend as well although i do still feel like i got hit by a boat! My children sufferred minor sprains and bruises. It was very tramatic for all involved.
Would you mind giving us your unbiased interpretation of what happened?
Life is great, without it you'd be dead.
Volusia County Sportsmen's Conservation Association Member
http://lakeokeechobeeairboatassociation.org/
Continental powered Performance hull.

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:22 pm

it was a wreck yobee .. LOL
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

yobee
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by yobee » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:52 pm

cntry141iq wrote:it was a wreck yobee .. LOL
Ohhh cntry, why you so cute? Lol! You know what I meant. Drunk idiot run em over, tourboat operator ripping through blind corners?

Ps. Stans lake houses sure are nice for a weekend.
Life is great, without it you'd be dead.
Volusia County Sportsmen's Conservation Association Member
http://lakeokeechobeeairboatassociation.org/
Continental powered Performance hull.

rebmurray1
Southern Airboat Member

Post by rebmurray1 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:51 am

We were on a narrow trail headed back to dock and when we turned a corner and the private boat was coming right at us I don't remember anything after that except thinking this is going to hurt. It was our first time on an airboat and I'm not sure I want to go on another one any time soon.

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:15 am

Yobee I understand y'all thought a lot of a certain operators courtesy while you were enjoying the lake house ?? major power player.

Those houses are hard to beat .. forggin is a little off right now but stan says the fish gigging is doing good according to y'alls results.

rebmurray My jab about the wreck was just a poke at yobee I certainly meant no malice towards you or any other person invoved in a wreck no matter who was at fault .. they all are hard to get over. many never do .. there are many more airboats out in the trails these days .. and no road signs or traffic lights which even on the highways folks don't pay attention to. airboats are typically safe when operated in a manner appropriate to the terrain at the time .. but all of them have to be driven that way and if one is not then a disaster is just waiting to happen. There have been people killed on tour boats .. although not often but if you are the one it is too often.
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

rebmurray1
Southern Airboat Member

Post by rebmurray1 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:32 pm

Cntry - no offense taken, yes it was a horrible experience and its definitely going to take time to get over but no one was killed so it could've been worse. When people ask what happen to my ear I tell them I tried to stop an oncoming boat with my head, if u don't have a sense of humor u pretty much don't have anything at all these days.

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:48 pm

well there are a few of us on here familiar with staring at an oncoming airboat waiting on the crash ... it can happen fast I have had one front row seat in my lifetime .. The full force and affect of what happened took a while to sink in .. fortunately the boats didn't sink .. I aint skeered of alligators but this wasn't a place I wanted to go for a swim .. and walking out if you were able was not an option .. dry land is kinda scarce there and not inter connected. My buddy that hit me was quite upset for quite a while .. nobody would even kid him about it and if you knew the group I am refering to you would know the restraint required on that one was mammoth.

He is good I am good life is good .. but it coulda been much different ..

take care and get well and come to an event somewhere sometime and get ya a ride on one .. not a tour boat .. whole different world then.

HuntingBigun
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by HuntingBigun » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:00 pm

rebmurray1 wrote:We were on a narrow trail headed back to dock and when we turned a corner and the private boat was coming right at us I don't remember anything after that except thinking this is going to hurt. It was our first time on an airboat and I'm not sure I want to go on another one any time soon.

Sorry you first trip turned out bad, but accidents do happen, glad you're not hurt any worse than you were. It is not the norm I will say hundreds of airboats operate safely everyday in Florida but again glad you are here to make the post.
Bigun

http://www.krvsa.com

http://krvsa.com/product/airboat-raffle-tickets/

Click for pics = http://www.flickr.com/photos/huntingbigun/

Killin Time 15.6 Diamondback Deckover Mast 808 Hp SC LS 7 /KRVSA /NRA

Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Southern Style » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:27 am

Very glad everyone was OK... I ride the trails that you were on, and I make a concious effort to just ride the actual river run instead of the tight blind trails leading thru Christmas Tree Island, the Sand Jump, into Bird Platt.. Not unless there is enough water for more then one trail to be open.. I will always be on the most visible trail, if not, its the middle of the river for me.. Glad your OK, prayers sent for a speedy recovery, and hope you get the opprotunity to take another airboat ride and see the wonderful wildlife, sunset, and all of nature.. and be incident free.. I think you would enjoy the scenery, its sure beautiful out there..
DONT ARGUE WITH STUPIDITY...THEY WILL JUST DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.....
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO

Return to “Florida Airboaters”