Central Florida Skinny Water for Learning

TKfishes
Southern Airboat Member

Central Florida Skinny Water for Learning

Post by TKfishes » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:00 pm

Hey all,

I just bought my first airboat(14' Marty Bray with a 383 stroker) and am hoping to run it this weekend. I've read a considerable amount of info on this site and one thing consistently repeated is "learn in shallow water." I'm an offshore fisherman so I know where to find all the really deep water but could use some knowledge on where the best place to put in for that nice 2' or less training grounds might be.

I'm located in Lakeland and am willing to drive a little extra to be in the right spot suitable for the task at hand.

It sounds like Lake Kissimmee has some good shallows? If that's the case, can anyone recommend what ramp to put in at?

Thanks
14' Marty Bray - 383 Stroker - 2.68 Ox Box - Sensenich 3 Blade 80" R

Hardtail
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: Central Florida Skinny Water for Learning

Post by Hardtail » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:05 pm

the totally best riding I know is just north of the 40 mile bend on 41, no mud all skinny just great riding, if it could get any better would be heaven!!!

lilly-Pad
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by lilly-Pad » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:29 pm

Hardtail wrote:the totally best riding I know is just north of the 40 mile bend on 41, no mud all skinny just great riding, if it could get any better would be heaven!!!
2X
12 ft Don Davis / 0470 conv / 68 NGQ , A.A.O.F member

Best laid plans of mice and men, wont always get you laid.............

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mojoe » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:16 pm

The Kissimmee chain is a good place to learn. There a lot of good places. I have never ride near you, but I'm sure there is someplace closer. You have the right mentality though. Just stay in 2-8" whenever possible. If ya gotta run trough some deep, keep it on plane and head for the shallows on the other side.

A couple of drills that will help:

Pick something (unique weed) in approx 4" of water and do tight (as close as you can get) circles around it. Both directions. Get a feel for using the gas to turn.

Next, pick 2 things (in shallow water that you can run over without hurting anything) about 20 yards apart. Drive away and approach one side or the other on plane in the direction so the two things line up in a row. As you are about to go past them, make a 90 degree turn and go between them. The key here is to let off the gas before you get there, then apply sufficient gas as you turn to redirect the momentum of the slide. Start on plane, slow, then power through the turn between two objects.

The last thing to try is coming on and off plane in deep water. The best way is to do it in shallow water :banghead: Don't unless you have too.

Also, when riding trails and blind turns, SLOW DOWN!! Be prepared for another boat to be coming head on. Shut down and listen for oncoming boats before entering long blind trails. And just like on the road, stay right. Stay tight on blind right hand turns, stay out a bit on blind left hand turns.

The gas pedal will save you, but only if you have some left to stomp. Learn to ride at a slow plane. 99 out of 100, I you get in trouble, stomp it and power/steer out. If you are already going too fast you got nothing left to save you.
Mark 7:9

TKfishes
Southern Airboat Member

Post by TKfishes » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:02 am

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Hoping to not drive all the way to the glades this weekend since the weather is kind of shaky and if any boat problems crop up its a 3 hr drive home but exploring down there is one of the reasons i wanted to get a boat so one day, I will make it.

If anyone has any other suggestions of ramps a little closer to the Lakeland-Orlando-Tampa area it would help.

Dirty
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Dirty » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:07 am

Kissimmee Chain will be the closest and best place for you to ride. There is plenty of skinny water to mess around in on the side of lakes and in the marsh. The water is rising on the chain, so be careful with more boats being out there to enjoy the ride. From Lakeland, your best ramp to put in would be Camp Mack or Port Hatchenha. You can ride all day long and not see the same thing twice. Have fun and be careful, I'm sure you may be able to find a group of boats to tag along and them show you the area.
Jimmy White Square, Cont-Injected Upstack 0540, Stainless

12' Custom Riveted, 0360 Angle Valve, one seater ride boat

99squeakbox
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 99squeakbox » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:21 pm

Flying eagle wma is a good place to learn its in inverness. I live on Zephyrhills and usually go there our kississimmee. That's about the best there is around us.

TKfishes
Southern Airboat Member

Post by TKfishes » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:51 pm

Thanks everyone for the help. I expect same time tomorrow I'll be asking for the "Airboaters Anonymous" information and a 12 step program sponsor :toothy7:

lilly-Pad
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by lilly-Pad » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:02 pm

ha ha there is little to no cure besides this site is full of airboat enablers lol welcome to the addiction............ :stirpot: :cheers:
12 ft Don Davis / 0470 conv / 68 NGQ , A.A.O.F member

Best laid plans of mice and men, wont always get you laid.............

ALLRED520
Southern Airboat Member

Post by ALLRED520 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:29 pm

I live in north lakeland and there isn't really much shallow riding around here you got 2 lakes that we are allowed on and they aint worth riding...camp mack is the best place to put in but without any stick time i wouldn't run the river coming out of camp mack alot of bass boats and gets tricky at times...i would load up and show you around but my boat apart for paint and slick bottom

Scarecrow
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Scarecrow » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:04 pm

I would suggest going to Coleman Landing at Shady Oaks, as soon as you unload you are in Lake Kiss. then head north hugging west shoreline, lots of skinny water, east on 60 to Grape Hammock Rd. Pull up the lake on Google earth. :thumbleft: :rebel:

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mojoe » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:26 pm

Do not go to camp Mac for your first trip. Guaranteed deep water right at the start. Launch anywhere else on the Kissimmee chain and stay shallow till you get comfortable.

Be conscious of your prop wash at all times, and especially when you park.

Be safe, and have fun!!!
Mark 7:9

TKfishes
Southern Airboat Member

Post by TKfishes » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:53 pm

Had a great time out today. Met an SA member who was extremely helpful in helping us get the basics down.

Went to Cypress Lake and mostly explored the rim.

Looking forward to getting more stick time and working out a few kinks on the boat.

Here we go!

Return to “Florida Airboaters”