help please im new i dont know what to do

ImNewIdKwhatToDo
Southern Airboat Member

help please im new i dont know what to do

Post by ImNewIdKwhatToDo »

Hey I live in saint augustine area and i have always wanted an airboat i have other boats and am on the st johns river or intercoastal about every weekend so im not completely retarded. But I just got this little airboat it starts right up and runs good its 10ft with a 4.3 chevy direct drive and carbon fiber prop, I know very little to nothing about airboating so i put it in first day i got it at st johns river in a cove where it was glass out and was out for about 2 min and put it back on trailer cause thought i was gonna sink the thing. Wheres some good places to go and practice that are shallow?? prefferably freshwater. Thank you in advance im dying to use this thing this weekend
Attachments
airboat2.jpg
airboat.jpg

papajack
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: help please im new i dont know what to do

Post by papajack »

USAAis having a poker run Saturday at Orange Lake. Bring it over and ride some trails or catch a ride with one of us.

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mojoe »

A 10' boat with a CM is asking for trouble. Keep that thing shallow and don't bring anybody that can't swim.

I don't know the river that far north but the St John's south of 46 at the Jolly Gator has some good shallow riding once you get past the bridge.

The gas pedal is the only friend you got when that thing is about to go down. Remember that. Keep it on plane in deep water. Period. If you get into trouble, STOMP IT!

Airboats are great fun, but also very dangerous. Keep safety your first priority, and welcome to the addiction.
Mark 7:9

Scarecrow
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Scarecrow »

Being your first boat you would be better off selling it before you sink it and get a bigger boat. JMO good luck

Chicken Man
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Chicken Man »

Shallow lake or borrow pits. There's a few nice ones in osceola forest around ocean pond. Good place to learn. PM me be glad to show you :)

lilly-Pad
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by lilly-Pad »

Welcome to SA and be warned airboating is an addiction. Sounds like Chicken Man is your best bet (why I love this site) but find skinny water. I would read the safety section on here try and get out with a more experienced first couple of times and has been said save some gas to save your a$$ :cheers: :proud:
12 ft Don Davis / 0470 conv / 68 NGQ , A.A.O.F member

Best laid plans of mice and men, wont always get you laid.............

Dixiedog60
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Dixiedog60 »

I live In Macclenny (not too far from Chicken Man) I plan to be at Orange Lake this weekend as well. Might be good if you show up and get some pointers. A little boat like that is very tricky and probably not the best to learn on unless you stay very shallow to start. Be glad to help you any way I can. I work in jax. I sent you a PM with my #
Freedom is Abridged by Silent Encroachment.---James Madison

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 »

Scarecrow wrote:Being your first boat you would be better off selling it before you sink it and get a bigger boat. JMO good luck
Hate to agree but you are right it looks heavy in the back. My first boat was 10' and yep sunk that bitch more then once but was still the coolest thing.

LEARN TO GIVE IT GAS AS YOU SLOW DOWN PLAN YOUR STOP AND RESPOND TO SOMEONE ON HERE SO YOU DON'T SINK IT YET.

gruprgetr
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by gruprgetr »

man ya'll gonna scare the guy :shock:
I got five bucks says its on the bottom by sundown :cheers: :stirpot: :rebel:
(SWAMP GAS)
IF YOU PISS SOMEONE OFF MEANS THEY HEARD YOU
AIRBOATS DONT SPREAD HYDRILLA

AIRBOATS DONT CAUSE ANIMOSITY- PEOPLE DO!!
PROTECT YOUR FUTURE WEAR A PFD AND VOTE!!
on a dark calm night ya can hear the cryaker scratchin on your poly

huntridewrench
Southern Airboat Member

Post by huntridewrench »

I hate to tell you but many years ago that was my first airboat. I didn't sink it, but it is a turd and a deathtrap. I would personally sell that thing instead of wasting the time trying to learn to drive it. I've owned about 10 airboats that one, and once in a while my friends and I still laugh about that little guy.

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 »

huntridewrench wrote:I hate to tell you but many years ago that was my first airboat. I didn't sink it, but it is a turd and a deathtrap. I would personally sell that thing instead of wasting the time trying to learn to drive it. I've owned about 10 airboats that one, and once in a while my friends and I still laugh about that little guy.
It needs a nice pe-90 engine on it.

zrackers
Southern Airboat Member

Post by zrackers »

I hate to agree with these guys but my 12x8 with 4.3 was scary sometimes with three folks on it. That's a lot of engine on a small hull.

Rich863
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Rich863 »

Agree with jeep pick a nice pe90 up fairly cheap and it will do good...
:old_glory: :florida:

Return to “Florida Airboaters”