The Alaska pipeline

emmitt Kelly
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

The Alaska pipeline

Postby emmitt Kelly » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:10 am

I remember in the 70's when it was being built.. I did not appreciate the size of the project until I went up there.
what a project!

and all of the alaska airboats all of the different planes at the Fairbanks airport..then to my surprise when we flew into
Anchorage...there at the airport were C133's lined up ...

Alaska is full of surprises..Image
1999 Diamondback 502 marine Power
Sensenich S 2.55 stinger
Covington, Ga.

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: The Alaska pipeline

Postby Olf Art » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:28 pm

Emmitt, the wild critters love ( :love4: ) that pipeline ...... it's a nice warm place to hang out when the temperature is -50 deg. F.
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

emmitt Kelly
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby emmitt Kelly » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:44 pm

Olf Art wrote:Emmitt, the wild critters love ( :love4: ) that pipeline ...... it's a nice warm place to hang out when the temperature is -50 deg. F.

I can not imagine being that cold!!

I bet the critters do!!.....I came and went in Sept. and it was getting down below freezing before I left.
Sensenich S 2.55 stinger
Covington, Ga.

ffcracker
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby ffcracker » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:32 pm

I got to go, and not just to camera hunt, I want to do some serious big furry critter hunting.
A RESENTFULL CITIZEN OF A DICTATORSHIP CALLED alachua county

pipedog
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby pipedog » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:58 pm

You lucky basturd, thats Awsome!! One of these days I hope to make it up there :proud:
Palm Beach open hull 13'9" with 6.0 F.I. LS - Ox Box and a 3bld "R"

mike99705
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mike99705 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:52 pm

It's a god forsaken frozen wasteland nobody in their right mind would ever consider living up there, much less coming to visit. Everybody just stay away and you will be much happier. Florida has great weather year round and also has disneyland,that is where everybody needs to live and visit and turn it into where you came from. Please emmit keep it quiet.
8 x 15 alumitech 383 mas from gto 3 blade r 2.3 belt

emmitt Kelly
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby emmitt Kelly » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:00 pm

mike99705 wrote:It's a god forsaken frozen wasteland nobody in their right mind would ever consider living up there, much less coming to visit. Everybody just stay away and you will be much happier. Florida has great weather year round and also has disneyland,that is where everybody needs to live and visit and turn it into where you came from. Please emmit keep it quiet.

yes, the folks in Wisconsin tell that to those from Chicago
and the folks in Maine tell that to the folks in New York..
come on to Atlanta it is beautiful...just bring your gun!!
Sensenich S 2.55 stinger
Covington, Ga.

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:49 pm

When I moved to Alaska, we stopped at Glen Allen on the highway from Tok to Anchorage. We stayed in the barracks camp which is now a motel. Got to walk over and check out the pipeline. Its a thing of beauty for sure.

Later back in Florida, I learned of the towers and supports. The towers with the heat syncs on them are freezers for the earth so the permafrost doesn't thaw from the heat of the oil. They are totally passive anhydrous Amonia freezers. I am still trying to find something to tell me how they work. Can you imagine free air conditioning in Florida? Still day dream about this.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby akblackdawg » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:59 pm

emmitt Kelly wrote:
Olf Art wrote:Emmitt, the wild critters love ( :love4: ) that pipeline ...... it's a nice warm place to hang out when the temperature is -50 deg. F.

I can not imagine being that cold!!.

It hurts your lungs when you breath!!! If you live in a tent, its only -30 F. If you throw a cup of black hot coffee in the air, it comes down as black snow. Best to stay away, stick to shooting bunny rabbits and bambi......Bud
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

emmitt Kelly
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby emmitt Kelly » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:02 am

akblackdawg wrote:
emmitt Kelly wrote:

I can not imagine being that cold!!.

It hurts your lungs when you breath!!! If you live in a tent, its only -30 F. If you throw a cup of black hot coffee in the air, it comes down as black snow. Best to stay away, stick to shooting bunny rabbits and bambi......Bud

you dun got me scared!!
Sensenich S 2.55 stinger
Covington, Ga.

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Olf Art » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:13 am

akblackdawg wrote:It hurts your lungs when you breath!!! If you live in a tent, its only -30 F. If you throw a cup of black hot coffee in the air, it comes down as black snow. Best to stay away, stick to shooting bunny rabbits and bambi......Bud

Emmitt, if you believe all of that then I've got a big bag of sticks and we can call it a Christmas tree! :lol: :lol:
They're doin' the same thing we here in Florida shoulda' done 40 yrs. ago to keep the Yankees up in New Jersey where they belong.

Alaska is magnificent, and it's only too cold if you forgot to dress right.

emmitt Kelly
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby emmitt Kelly » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:19 am

Olf Art wrote:
akblackdawg wrote:It hurts your lungs when you breath!!! If you live in a tent, its only -30 F. If you throw a cup of black hot coffee in the air, it comes down as black snow. Best to stay away, stick to shooting bunny rabbits and bambi......Bud

Emmitt, if you believe all of that then I've got a big bag of sticks and we can call it a Christmas tree! :lol: :lol:
They're doin' the same thing we here in Florida shoulda' done 40 yrs. ago to keep the Yankees up in New Jersey where they belong.

Alaska is magnificent, and it's only too cold if you forgot to dress right.

I agree..when I stepped off the plane in Fairbanks..I knew I was in another world...just there for
2 weeks...but my daughter showed me around...it was great
Sensenich S 2.55 stinger
Covington, Ga.

Flip
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Flip » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:07 pm

I went there at the end of June-begining of July 2009.
What an experience. Went to a place called Good News River on a week long fishing trip. We stayed at a remote campsite on the river and used jet propelled kicker boats to transverse the river and small tributaries. We were the only people on the river that week except for the local Indians/Natives.We caught over 250 King Salmon anywhere from 7lbs to 51lbs in five days! we were allowed to keep 150lbs per angler, but thought it best to only keep the smaller "jacks" and some roosters/males totalling about 75lbs between the two of us which was more than enough. It's amazing to think these fish were born in this river. Make it through the winter with the river frozen and trout on the tails at all times. Get out of the river. Grow in the ocean and then travel right back to spawn and die in the very same place!
We saw Bears, foxes, moose and carribou along with several species of duck.
I caught a 27" trout in the river which was also thrown back. They were the owner/operators resident pets.
Definetly a trip of a life time!
If anyone wants to look up the lodge and Mike Gorton; google Good News River and check out the reviews. Great people and an awesome time!
I would like to go back some day. The guides were very cool.
The weather is unpredictable, but we hit the run at a near perfect time.
Alaska is an awesome place, but I wouldn't worry about too many people moving there. It takes a special breed to handle the climate up there. The tourists are pretty much kept away from the remote areas I think, but Maybe akblackdawg could elaborate more.

hirise
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby hirise » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:02 pm

i came out in 86 after spending a little over 5 yrs in anchorage and what a pretty state. i never got to do any airboating up there however i sure did everything else. i would love to go back and experience that befor i get to old to climb into the boat.
15x8 alumitech,2.5 OX BOX,4 blade R 80" ,540 BBC Pro series

DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE MULE, JUST KEEP LOADING THE WAGON

MarshRider
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby MarshRider » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:54 pm

I hear you need a special - seldom granted - passport to get in
and then you have to take a
literacy test!

Best stay away and let some of us older scouts go up and pave the way....
or go up and just forget the rest of the world....

bonnie
FAA Corporate Member
TexasAirboatAssociation 099
NebraskaAirboatAssociation Life Member
NEVER GIVE UP!!
http://www.marshridermagazine.com

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:43 pm

I remember the winter of '94-5 it being -40 in Anchorage and one day it warmed up to a balmy +32 and the ice was melting mid day. It was entirely too hot to wear a jacket so we all walked through town and to our favorite Perkins Restaurant in our t-shirts. Twas like summer but still having 6' of snow along the sides of the city streets. Its one huge place and not well suited to those who need to be told what to do. If you stay the winter you will hear about first winter folks dieing out in their cars because they were stupid. Come Spring they clean up the mess of stalled cars and dead bodies along the highway to Denali and Fairbanks.
Alaska is a place for thinking men who are able to see, analyze and arrive at correct solutions. Those who have to be told what to do seldom survive the experience. You cant live off of mystique, fascination and magazine/movie art up there. If you want to go live there its best to take a job with you when you move. Lots maybe even most of folks have 2-3 or more jobs BTW.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

Bob in Canada
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Bob in Canada » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:39 am

Whitebear :
It's amazing what a human body gets conditioned to . We had a break in the cold weather today , it went up to 32 degrees and I was at work with the winter coat off and working outside in a tee shirt and jean jacket .
If it went down to 32 degrees in August here there's no way I'd be out with a tee shirt . A 50 degree increase in temp in 12 hours just tells your mind and body " it's warm" .
The extreme cold starting at -40 and down past -50 is just beyond the imagination unless you've lived and worked in it .
14x8 Diamondback , 2.38-1 Stinger , 350 GM Marine , Sensenich 3 Blade "R" prop

mad_mike
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mad_mike » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:19 pm

That pipeline is truly something to behold. It would never have been built so efficiently today.... Our government and bleeding hearts would have had to study and engineer it to death. I offer a cheers to the Great Alaska Pipeline and those men and women who made it happen!

emmitt Kelly
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby emmitt Kelly » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:17 am

mad_mike wrote:That pipeline is truly something to behold. It would never have been built so efficiently today.... Our government and bleeding hearts would have had to study and engineer it to death. I offer a cheers to the Great Alaska Pipeline and those men and women who made it happen!

I could not agree more....I just stood there in amazement!!
Sensenich S 2.55 stinger
Covington, Ga.

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Olf Art » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:45 pm

The Alaska Railroad is wholly owned by the State, and all of it's employees are state workers. They do some things that are pretty unique ..... one of which is they run a little combination freight / passenger train daily that they call the Flag Train.
It's called that because if you want to catch it all you have to do is stand out by the tracks and flag it down when you see it coming. They'll pick you up, you tell the conductor where you're going, and he charges you accordingly.
The little train has been credited with saving a lot of lives over the years ...... if somebody out in the bush has an accident and needs medical attention, if they can get them to the railroad tracks the flag train will pick them up and haul them in.

Alaska is our last taste of the 'land of the free and home of the brave'.

Bob in Canada
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Bob in Canada » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:06 pm

Olf Art
There is a thing they do here in Northern Ontario with the train that runs to James bay on Hudson's Bay that I've heard of but never done myself . Guys that work far up in the bush prospecting for gold and trapping tell the crew what mile marker they need to stop at and the train comes to a halt and lets them off with their gear in the middle of nowhere . At an agreed upon time a week , month or whenever later it will stop there and picks them back up . You have to have some real self reliant skills to step of a train a hundred miles from the nearest civilization in the dead of winter and say " see ya next month."

540 mountain motor
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby 540 mountain motor » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:43 pm

Bob in Canada wrote:Whitebear :
It's amazing what a human body gets conditioned to . We had a break in the cold weather today , it went up to 32 degrees and I was at work with the winter coat off and working outside in a tee shirt and jean jacket .
If it went down to 32 degrees in August here there's no way I'd be out with a tee shirt . A 50 degree increase in temp in 12 hours just tells your mind and body " it's warm" .
The extreme cold starting at -40 and down past -50 is just beyond the imagination unless you've lived and worked in it .

Just read this topic, you boys are crazy! It was 72 today and muggy :mrgreen:
18x8 GTO Saltwater Series, 540 MAS/PFI, 82 SW with Stinger 2.55, "540 RAT-N-A-CAGE"

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby akblackdawg » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:38 am

Very unusual warm spell and lack of snow now. Very little snow this year, up until the holidays had a long cold spell around 20 below at night and 0 during the day. Rain today and they are calling for 47* high tomorrow, very strange. And you think your boats slide, try driving without studs on a road packed with ice and rain on top of it. But no worry, in another week or so it will be below 0 again. I'm talking about Anchorage area here, if you go inland to Fairbanks, it will average another 20-30* colder then it is here in Anchorage during the winter, and hot enough for AC in the summer. Bud
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

Frog
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Frog » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:47 am

I spent 11 years fishing out of Kodiak Ak. Crab, salmon and herring. We fish the island, the Shelikof Straits and the Bering sea. I've seen so cold that the crab would freeze and spit their legs out as soon as they hit the air (making them worthless). Captain laid the boat in the trough washing the crew all over the deck, when I stood up my beard froze, I grabbed it and broke half it off taking some skin with it. The coldest I've ever been was on lake Trafford, FLORIDA ducking hunting. Damn near died of hyperthermia. I'm convinced it was the whiskey that got me in that mess "and kept me alive".

Guess what Alyeska uses on their snow remove equipment?? "GatorGlide" This making Alaskan pipeline workers smarter than some. :alaska: :florida:
GatorGlide! " Don't get stuck without it!"
http://www.gatorglide.com/

Bob in Canada
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Bob in Canada » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:29 pm

Akblackdawg;
We have had the above freezing weather also for the last few days . It's been raining , the snow is down to next to nothing and the roads are down to the bare pavement . Usually this is the time of year we get the - 46 to -48 at night and up to the - 30s during the day .
If this is global warming I'll take two please .

Return to “Alaska Airboaters”