Vacation trip up yalls way

540 mountain motor
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Vacation trip up yalls way

Postby 540 mountain motor » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:29 pm

Hey guys, my wife and I are planning a vacation to Alaska this next year and would like some pointers on when and where to go. In 20 years of owning my auto repair business I have never taken time off past 2 days so if my money will allow I would love to fly fish some streams. We have been looking at Alaska Rainbow Lodge for a few months and we are trying to swallow the costs to make it happen. My wife does not fish and my son may go along too. I am only interested in shallow water dry fly fishing. Sight casting for trout would be awesome. I would love to be away from people if possible to some secluded streams/rivers to catch fish. Size of fish does not matter to me just shots at fish on the fly is all that matters. Any ideas on this lodge? Maybe you folks know of a better place? Thanks Robert Moore. By the way my wife would be fine with staying in our cabin and reading but rafting trips would be a plus!!!
18x8 GTO Saltwater Series, 540 MAS/PFI, 82 SW with Stinger 2.55, "540 RAT-N-A-CAGE"

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Vacation trip up yalls way

Postby akblackdawg » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:16 pm

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/for ... Flyfishing

I would ask these guys. We have a outdoor forum up here that gets quite a bit of action. One on freshwater fishing besides this one on flyfishing. I would post what you just asked on here, sorry I can't be much help, havn't done the type of fishing you are asking for in years and years and don't want to give you bad advice. So ask the experts and maybe a few not so expert also. One thing I will suggest, just a couple hours south of Anchorage is the Kenai river, very famous for salmon fishing. It also does have world class fly fishing for trout, many of them up to 5 lbs. Not isolated, but many guides can float you down the river from hole to hole and catch many trout, beautiful river, eagle, clear water, etc. But timing is everything, don't go with the reds are running, thats combat fishing. Talk to these guys, and if you want a upclose ride to a glacier in a airboat, give me a call. Bud
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

needcoffee
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Vacation trip up yalls way

Postby needcoffee » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:52 am

If you are up in the matsu area give mike coughlin a call. susitna valley river guides. he will put you on fish. as far as sight casting big rainbows. up here they are feeding on fish early, eggs middle, and flesh (salmon carcasses) later. it is huck and chuck. get it deep and in the sticks. grayling and small trout you can sight cast, also stealhead down in the pan handle. pm me if a guide is out of your budget. i usually catch fish but my urchins usually have me hooked up.

Return to “Alaska Airboaters”