will this do for the snow and ice ?

Muskoka 1
Southern Airboat Member

will this do for the snow and ice ?

Postby Muskoka 1 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:04 pm

I am looking at a simple hull and set up for a snow and ice application. Sometime last winter someone posted that you did not need quite the same amount of power for snow and ice as you do to run the swamp.

Although I wonder how different really slushy snow would be to thick mud.... ?

Any thoughts or information would be helpful. In my application we are traveling a short distance from the landing to our water access cottage in the winter and spring.

http://cfl.craigslist.org/boa/4217565674.html
Attachments
01111_lg8bJMpE0le_600x450.jpg
00D0D_2nSgniBj2eG_600x450.jpg

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: will this do for the snow and ice ?

Postby akblackdawg » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:41 pm

That boat would handle the snow and ice just great, including the slush you refer too. Slush is nothing like mud, mud is very stick and creates a lot of suction on the hull, ice is slipery and hull will slide right over, even if wet and crushed like in your glass. If running on flat, like frozen lake or river or swamp it would be good, if on sidehill, could be a problem, they tend to slide down hill on ice. Biggest thing you need to do would be to take it or have it taken to a aircraft mechanic, should be able to find one at any airport, and have the motor checked out. Leak down test. Price is great if it runs ok. Nice looking boat. It will be cold in winter for you, even if the boat is only running 20 mph, the wind sucked in by the prop goes by the driver and passengers at over 100 mph and is very cold, but would be ok for short distances if bundled up. Could be a great buy if it runs ok. Might find a airboat shop in the area to look at the rest of it for you. Bud
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

clownpuncher321
Southern Airboat Member

Postby clownpuncher321 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:48 pm

I'm def not an airboat expert and have only been in snow a few times but let me start out by saying that's a big hull for a 90hp motor..now for 3500 I'm sure you can find a boat that will run dry maybe not be a rocket but move along quit well..I would believe in soft snow the boat would kind of sink into it and you would need the power to get on top of it and keep moving as the same with ice the boat may slide on top of it but what if you break through in thin spots your gonna want the power to hammer down And Get out of that situation...Now just words of wisdom Once you get a boat you'll always want more more push more power more this and that So spend the money to get something that will suite your needs the first time and be done with it

gso480jr
Southern Airboat Member

Postby gso480jr » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:42 am

akblackdawg wrote:That boat would handle the snow and ice just great, including the slush you refer too. Slush is nothing like mud, mud is very stick and creates a lot of suction on the hull, ice is slipery and hull will slide right over, even if wet and crushed like in your glass. If running on flat, like frozen lake or river or swamp it would be good, if on sidehill, could be a problem, they tend to slide down hill on ice. Biggest thing you need to do would be to take it or have it taken to a aircraft mechanic, should be able to find one at any airport, and have the motor checked out. Leak down test. Price is great if it runs ok. Nice looking boat. It will be cold in winter for you, even if the boat is only running 20 mph, the wind sucked in by the prop goes by the driver and passengers at over 100 mph and is very cold, but would be ok for short distances if bundled up. Could be a great buy if it runs ok. Might find a airboat shop in the area to look at the rest of it for you. Bud

Wow! If my prop pulled air at 100 mph I couldn't keep my headset on, never mind my wig!!
that's the funniest thing I've heard all year. :lol: :lol: :rebel:

Muskoka 1
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Muskoka 1 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:57 am

Thank. You for the feedback. I suppose it would be easy enough to put a windshield on the front. I'm still not convinced that thick sloppy slush is any less sticky.... So to speak. Nicks airboat videos on YouTube shows an example of how much the slush slowed him down.

skip olsen
Southern Airboat Member

Postby skip olsen » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:18 am

Hi there slush don't slow you down to much like mud does. deep snow does not bother you ether, my airboat is heavy and in deep snow it might sink down 6 our 8 inches. the deeper the snow the more fun it is to run, Now ice it will eat your lunch , ice is hard and a thin hauled airboat will look like you beat it with a sledge hammer if you run on to much ice . ice does not flex our give it like hitting a piece of steel. you don't need a lot of power on snow but if you park your airboat make sure you throw some brush our branches down to park on because your plastic will heat up and when you stop for any amount of time the airboat will freeze it self down, then you will be talking to your self. Skip

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby akblackdawg » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:30 am

gso480jr wrote:
akblackdawg wrote:That boat would handle the snow and ice just great, including the slush you refer too. Slush is nothing like mud, mud is very stick and creates a lot of suction on the hull, ice is slipery and hull will slide right over, even if wet and crushed like in your glass. If running on flat, like frozen lake or river or swamp it would be good, if on sidehill, could be a problem, they tend to slide down hill on ice. Biggest thing you need to do would be to take it or have it taken to a aircraft mechanic, should be able to find one at any airport, and have the motor checked out. Leak down test. Price is great if it runs ok. Nice looking boat. It will be cold in winter for you, even if the boat is only running 20 mph, the wind sucked in by the prop goes by the driver and passengers at over 100 mph and is very cold, but would be ok for short distances if bundled up. Could be a great buy if it runs ok. Might find a airboat shop in the area to look at the rest of it for you. Bud

Wow! If my prop pulled air at 100 mph I couldn't keep my headset on, never mind my wig!!
that's the funniest thing I've heard all year. :lol: :lol: :rebel:

The air being sucked into that prop is much much higher velocity then what the speed of the boat is, you need to run a open boat at 30 or so mph in below freezing weather, then compair it to running a snowmobile across the ice on a lake at 60-100 mph, and you will realize that there is not a lot of difference in airspeed going though the prop. I've done both. Bud
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

Muskoka 1
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Muskoka 1 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:02 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I do totally understand and agree that there is increased airflow around a driver sitting in front of the fan. I was thinking I would probably lower the seats down for that reason. The lakes in my area freeze and usually have at least 6-12" of snow on top. So most of my running would be on snow covered ice.
I also found u u tube video of a glass boat running dry with the same engine so I am guessing having the right prop would make a huge difference.

swamper2
Southern Airboat Member

Postby swamper2 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:21 am

most Florida boats don't have enough t-bars. bottom should be 3/16ths with 3/8 poly. I wouldn't go less than 125hp. just for loading and better performance for people and supplies to cottage. lots of airboats around Lake Simcoe to check out.
16ft alumitech/406sbc/2.38w/3-80in.R's

skip olsen
Southern Airboat Member

Postby skip olsen » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:39 am

To give you an idea of how my airboat is built, I run 18 ft alumitech , I have a BBC 540 on it with 2.67 belt reduction , with four blade super wide sensenich props . My haul is called an ice haul 3/16 bottom 3/16 sides 3/16 , Plus I have 11 tee bar in the bottom , doubled up transom two I Beam mid ship braces in it. You want to make sure your haul will withstand a betting if your going to be running ice, snow and slush is no problem. Here is a picture of mine when it was new
Attachments
alumitech 1.jpg

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:16 pm

Skip, thats a VERY nice hull. Its built like our Seismic Boats were. Things are heavy but tough as nails. We didn't have the high ratio gear drives we just had the old Franklin Belt drives but they still did a very respectable job. Was nothing to put a ton of cables or or explosives on one and head out for a days work with two people or even just one person. Very reliable no frill boats.

I can't tell from the picture, is every stringer tied into the cross braces? Ours were but others were like every other one. We also had half inch plywood bottoms laid on top of the stringers. of course we ran open boats not cabin boats. Different job I know.

Again, sure looks sweet man ! :thumbleft:
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

skip olsen
Southern Airboat Member

Postby skip olsen » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:05 pm

Yes there tied in to each stringer, the transom is 30 inches. nice dependable airboat. Raymond at alumitech builds the hauls I build the rest. its heavy but I run dry ground all the time with her.

2002duramax
Southern Airboat Member

Postby 2002duramax » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:18 pm

I personally will not run a glass boat on ice. If you hit a soft spot and get wedged into a tight hole it will crack under that pressure.. even aluminum boats here in Utah with 3/16th and thicker sides get beat up and damaged.. I'm with skip the more stingers and support the better.. I'd run poly for sure . Aluminum hull and I'd keep weight at a minimum if all possible

Bob in Canada
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Bob in Canada » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:13 am

My two cents ....
I've got a good idea of the conditions you going to be running in . Snow on the ice and in heavy slush are no problem at all . Bare ice is like going down a rough dirt road in a frying pan . If you are running bare ice it's tricky the boat will be a hand full to turn . Be careful with speed on bare ice you can get out of shape really easily . With no snow cushion it will really pound you and the boat .
I only time I had problems in the winter was when I was on thin ice and my boat was breaking through . Ice will break easily from weight on the top of it but the same ice is very strong when your boat is sitting in a channel in the ice that it's just broken into . Sort of like trying to break a sheet of 1/2"plywood by hitting the edge with a base ball bat . That kind of situation will wedge your boat in and the strength the ice has at it's edge will damage your hull . It's a thing called "railroading " when you are in a slot in the ice that your boat is making .
The only other time I had a problem in the winter was late in the spring . At about 70F the snow was really sticky and wet and it took a lot of power for my boat to move on it .
I don't know much about aircraft powered boats but I think you should be OK with that one .
There's an old topic here called Tips for Running on ice and snow If you search that you find some useful information there .
I've been out on Georgian Bay on boats that were way less that the boat your looking at and they went OK .
14x8 Diamondback , 2.38-1 Stinger , 350 GM Marine , Sensenich 3 Blade "R" prop

Bob in Canada
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Bob in Canada » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:22 am

I'm one of the few people that uses an airboat in Ontario in the winter . If you'd like to get together on the phone sometime private message me and we'll set it up .
14x8 Diamondback , 2.38-1 Stinger , 350 GM Marine , Sensenich 3 Blade "R" prop

2002duramax
Southern Airboat Member

Postby 2002duramax » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:21 pm

i would also look at the chines of the boat. you do not want sharp edges on the bottom if you was going side ways and a lip cought an crack or a ridge it could be bad news for you and your riders

Muskoka 1
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Muskoka 1 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:14 pm

Thanks for all the feedback. Very much appreciate the insight and experience. We have a lot of experience boating in icy waters and even breaking ice with the boat. Usually in late march early april so I understand about the edge on the ice just like a knife if under pressure. There are a very few companies here in canada that manufacture but I cant dump $ 30000 into an entry level boat.

rocketrob
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby rocketrob » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:25 pm

Muskoka1 ; . I used to live and work in Bracebridge , My brotherinlaw who lives in Port Sydney and I are in FL. now . If you were to fly
down and pick out your new ride , you and he can tow it back in a couple of weeks . at the moment, he is driving back alone . we could also take you boat shopping .
Rob

Muskoka 1
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Muskoka 1 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:18 pm

Our lakes in my area almost always have atleast 12 inches of packed snow on them. The only place I can see it being rough would be at the landing where the ice and land meet.

Return to “Alaska Airboaters”