what to do in the winter

newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

what to do in the winter

Postby newoldglory » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:20 pm

I'm putting together an Alaskan airboating event here in sunny south Florida. It can be any time now and will require special clothing for the season. Sandals, short shorts, "t" shirts or plumb naked but you will need to shave you're backs to get a sun tan. Jockey straps will be needed to prevent sun scald if you prefer to go native. Trust me, you don't want to go to the hospital and try to explain to the nurse that you have roasted chestnuts (I never understood why they are called chest nuts when mine hang below my belt). I don't have the salmon, Moose, Bear that you have but I have Garfish (smoked), Mudfish (deep fried Bowfin), Moorehen, American Coot, Purple Marsh Hen and an occasional duck (in season or in the boat cage). Frogs are my specialty (I frog a lot), turtle, invasive fish (Mayan Cichlid, Oscar and snake head) , gator in season, Cotton Mouth Moccasin and other snakes in season, loud mouth women that will make you're trip worth while (year round). Come on down and bring some of that free money with you.
AKABLACKDOG --- I am full of crap and you know it. I just had to make a post on here to maybe open up a thread to get other boaters interested. Have a great new year.
To open ones eyes, you must let them see!

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: what to do in the winter

Postby Olf Art » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:15 pm

Gerald, the weather up in KY / TN never bothered me that much. Honest. Like most things you kinda learned how to get around and do what you needed to, and it was damn sure a refreshing departure from the oppressive heat and bugs of this Sunshine State. If we didn't have grandchildren here I'd be writing this from Andrews, NC right now. It's in the far Western part of the State, about an hour or so from both Gatlinburg and Knoxville,TN and the Nantahala River is a fly fisherman's dream if you like to fish fast water.

I've skied in 16 below zero weather out in Colorado and loved every minute of it. I actually prefer that to the heat and humidity we have here. It's all about what you grow up with I guess, and the biggest things I miss are the mountains and those amazing Autumns up there. The only way you know it's Autumn in Florida is when the color of the license plates begins to change. :wink:
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:30 pm

Yeah, today in 2A was brutal. Started off foggy and 67. Around noon, fog burned off and partly sunny skies around 84 with a cool breeze from the northwest. Brutal. Almost considered taking my shirt off.
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

bkmail
Southern Airboat Member

Postby bkmail » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:43 pm

Gerald,
33* here this morning, no riding today but we have one in the shop were working in. Waiting for a good dumping of snow to take the boats out. Skip was out riding last weekend hauling freight to his cabin I hear.
To ride like us you need to wear shorts and crocs but carry a jacket and cartharts along with a chainsaw winch, handyman jack, bush axe, large caliber rifle, and some fishing gear at least. Never know where you will end and for how long!

When are you coming up here?
Bk
https://www.bkmarineservices.com
https://m.facebook.com/BKMarineServices

502 BBC on a 18' Alumitech w/4 blade master blasters, Skip built

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:35 pm

When is/was the Fur Rendezvous ? Was a big thing when I was there. Seemed to break up the winter a bit.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby akblackdawg » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:43 pm

Whitebear wrote:When is/was the Fur Rendezvous ? Was a big thing when I was there. Seemed to break up the winter a bit.

i think it is at the end of Feb, just before the big iditarod
race at the beginning of march.
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby akblackdawg » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:47 pm

newoldglory wrote:I'm putting together an Alaskan airboating event here in sunny south Florida. It can be any time now and will require special clothing for the season. Sandals, short shorts, "t" shirts or plumb naked but you will need to shave you're backs to get a sun tan. Jockey straps will be needed to prevent sun scald if you prefer to go native. Trust me, you don't want to go to the hospital and try to explain to the nurse that you have roasted chestnuts (I never understood why they are called chest nuts when mine hang below my belt). I don't have the salmon, Moose, Bear that you have but I have Garfish (smoked), Mudfish (deep fried Bowfin), Moorehen, American Coot, Purple Marsh Hen and an occasional duck (in season or in the boat cage). Frogs are my specialty (I frog a lot), turtle, invasive fish (Mayan Cichlid, Oscar and snake head) , gator in season, Cotton Mouth Moccasin and other snakes in season, loud mouth women that will make you're trip worth while (year round). Come on down and bring some of that free money with you.
AKABLACKDOG --- I am full of crap and you know it. I just had to make a post on here to maybe open up a thread to get other boaters interested. Have a great new year.

hell, we all know that. i just wash you had been active on here when i spent a couple weeks in florida about 5 years ago, i would have been there to visit and ride for sure, as it was i did some and really enjoyed it. just didn't know about you then, don't think u started posting until after my trip
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

Return to “Alaskan Airboating News & Events”