2nd Split duck season

Texas hunting and fishing.
belly_up
Southern Airboat Member

2nd Split duck season

Postby belly_up » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:40 pm

Will it ever get here.....can't wait! :bounce:
It ain't no woman flesh and blood, it's that damned 'ol airboat.

SHABA
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: 2nd Split duck season

Postby SHABA » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:47 pm

belly_up wrote:Will it ever get here.....can't wait! :bounce:

Belly where are you going to hunt opening day on the split???? Rock, Mat or someother place???
2007 Diamondback, Sensenich 3 blade wide 80", Stringer Soft Drive 2.38 Reduction Drive! TAA511

belly_up
Southern Airboat Member

Postby belly_up » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:51 pm

We are going to be heading down to POC friday night.
It ain't no woman flesh and blood, it's that damned 'ol airboat.

Quackcephus
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby Quackcephus » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:21 pm

I hope y'all shoot a pile :twisted:
:texas:

SHABA
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SHABA » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:56 pm

Quack talk about a pile!!! Sheesh I ran over the biggest mass of red head ducks I have ever seen... or should say never saw until i was on them. Thousands it was dark and Foggy.
2007 Diamondback, Sensenich 3 blade wide 80", Stringer Soft Drive 2.38 Reduction Drive! TAA511

Quackcephus
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby Quackcephus » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:46 pm

SHABA wrote:Quack talk about a pile!!! Sheesh I ran over the biggest mass of red head ducks I have ever seen... or should say never saw until i was on them. Thousands it was dark and Foggy.

:twisted:

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby rost495 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:11 am

I figured it would be a nasty drive down there in the dark.. it almost sucked up here.

Friend and I limited each morning. Mostly teal and them good mallards, and some pintails.... Widgeon are there all the time, just cannot figure out where they go before light and why they don't come back....

Cody-- ran into some A/M guys, ran up to the top of the levee right next to them to spin the boat around and park it facing down.... camo boat and like a dark colored 50hp motor on it, going to A/M but from Henderson and Texarkana..... anyone you know?

How did y'all finish up after I texted you?

Main lake we saw NO birds on when we left both mornings, and we went up the other creek to the flat that was flooded way back.... no ducks there either. mud motor trails though.

Need to mark the water level as its about 18 inches of water left in the canal right now, so whatever it is less 18 inches and it becomes winch city or airboat city....

Jeff

NotAGuide
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby NotAGuide » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:46 pm

Had an awesome two days around Rockport. Fog both mornings but managed to still get out in time and hit a few birds. Wind stopped blowing out of the North for Sunday causing the water level to rise. Higher water seemed to scatter the birds for a lot of guys hunting back lakes.
Attachments
resized pat and greg rockport.jpg
resized pat and greg rockport.jpg (86.5 KiB) Viewed 1971 times
Professional JB Welder
Old 18' American hull, 470CID S&S, Ch3 2:1, 3-blade Whirlwind Whisper Tip

Quackcephus
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby Quackcephus » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:08 pm

rost495 wrote:I figured it would be a nasty drive down there in the dark.. it almost sucked up here.

I believe it was nasty just about everywhere... overcast, foggy with a misty rain. :shock:

rost495 wrote:Friend and I limited each morning. Mostly teal and them good mallards, and some pintails.... Widgeon are there all the time, just cannot figure out where they go before light and why they don't come back....

Sounds like a pretty good shoot... 'em Widgeons are probaly feedin' & loafin' in some slack water somewhere & are only roostin' there.

rost495 wrote:Cody-- ran into some A/M guys, ran up to the top of the levee right next to them to spin the boat around and park it facing down.... camo boat and like a dark colored 50hp motor on it, going to A/M but from Henderson and Texarkana..... anyone you know?

Not anyone that I know... we both know 'em boys in the GatorTail rig with the small yellow male Lab... they go to TAMU also. :roll:

rost495 wrote:Main lake we saw NO birds on when we left both mornings, and we went up the other creek to the flat that was flooded way back.... no ducks there either. mud motor trails though.

Hmmm... there's got to be a field with some slackwater or some protected stock tanks somewhere nearby as the ducks are goin' somewhere to feed/loaf. :wink:

rost456 wrote:Need to mark the water level as its about 18 inches of water left in the canal right now, so whatever it is less 18 inches and it becomes winch city or airboat city....

Jeff

I bet the airboats win that one... just watch out for 'em mud rigs as they'll get stuck in the slop & there they'll be... been there done that on some different water... & stuck they where. :shock:

Quackcephus
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby Quackcephus » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:10 pm

Nice "straps" ya got there NotAGuide :twisted:

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby rost495 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:09 pm

that yeller dog is Luke IIRC? I gotta remember that... I dont' know which longtail it is anymore though.... Tell em if you talk to em, I've got Keiths old boat if they see me.... some kind of deer head on the rudders, I"ve never looked at the head real close, I need to get that off there anyway....

On getting stuck... thats the scary part the mud motors could be stuck around the corner in an 8 foot wide(hmm same width as my boat....) channel around a corner and if its mud I'm gonna most likely be full power or close to it etc...... that could end up really interesting if I can't climb up and around em on short notice... though I think once I"m repowered to 496 if that happens I'll just crawl the high bank and run the bank on top till I get to water again to be safe....

Quackcephus
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby Quackcephus » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:58 pm

Yep thats 'em. :wink:

I could only let off a little on the throttle to sort of line my rig up on an angle to miss 'em & then STOMP IT a 180*... not a pretty sight... they also had their nav lights turned OFF :shock:

ghenry
Southern Airboat Member

Postby ghenry » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:49 pm

I've only been doin this for a couple of years, but in your guys experiance, if the wind is 30-40 mph do the birds sometimes just not fly? We had a very bleak afternoon hunt in a Rockport Backlake across from the refuge last Tuesday but saw several groups in the lakes on the way in, just nothin in the air. The next day(dec 16? I think) we ran the backlakes from fifth to Power on Matagorda island and saw no birds anywhere until we got to power. Then we limited on scaup and redheads. The pintail wanted nothing to do with us. We went with a cast and blast guide yesterday(trip won by a buddy) and hunted the outside shoreline of Pringle. Only two groups decoyed in and very few flying. Ended up with four redheads, a pintail drake, and one 20" red and one 18" trout between four of us. Was a lot of fun having someone else do all the work, though.
18' alumitech AGI-2, 540 felber, 4 blade sensenich superwide, 2.68 stinger gearbox

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby rost495 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:19 pm

wind has always been my friend, but the more I think about it, when it gets hard, like it was 24 dec, they find a pothole out of the wind and won't move basically..

What is my friend is a 10-20 mph wind mostly, they will fly, but low and won't look at the spread as much etc....

You should hit Marshall on this one??

Quackcephus
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby Quackcephus » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:16 pm

ghenry wrote:I've only been doin this for a couple of years, but in your guys experiance, if the wind is 30-40 mph do the birds sometimes just not fly?

Heavy winds & heavy rain will always bust a duck hunt. :wink:

Return to “Texas”