??? Fishin' The Texas Coast ???

Texas hunting and fishing.
Quackcephus
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

??? Fishin' The Texas Coast ???

Postby Quackcephus » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:04 pm

Help a brutha out here. How are y'all set up to fish for reds & specks... what action rods & reels, line, pound test, terminal tackle, etc. does a fella need to get started? Also, are y'all anchored up, driftin' or wade fishin' for 'em. Any info would be helpful. :bounce:
:texas:

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: ??? Fishin' The Texas Coast ???

Postby rost495 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:38 pm

I don't know much, so take this with lots of salt. Baitcasting reels, around 12-15 pound mono, with 20 pound leader. 1/8-1/2 jig heads and tails... gulp often.... but also lazy and use popping corks with live shrimp or gulp for trout.... for reds I get lazy and dump dead shrimp on the bottom in holes during the winter....In laws use 80 pound spider wire... and just don't have the fun they really should....

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby rost495 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:38 pm

and yes on the anchor, wade or drifting for them...

NotAGuide
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby NotAGuide » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:07 pm

The great thing about fishing the coast is the wide variety of fish and fishing techniques. The old standby live-bait vs. artifishing and wadefishing vs. fishing out of a boat debate is up to you. Over the last 20yrs, I've chosen artificial over bait while wadefishing 95% and learned a lot more about my surroundings. When taking first time fishermen, kids, father-in-law, wife, etc., its fishing with bait out of the boat drifting or anchored. My success is usually a result of walking the area and knowing whats on the bottom. As for equipment, bait chunking is best with a 7' medium rod with 12-14lb. line on a good quality bait cast reel or spinning reel. Plastics and plugs can easily be thrown with a 6 1/2' rod and 12lb line. Half the thrill is hooking the fish with light line. I do suggest having the best equipment you can afford. The less expenses stuff just doesn't last long the salt. Unlike bassfishing, you don't need a rod for every type of lure in the box. Two good rods is plenty in the boat for each person. Remember, the more gear you carry, the more to clean when you get home. As for cleaning, don't high pressure spray the reels or soak them in water. A light rinse under running water along with a coat of ReelMagic will keep things working longer than any other method. After a year or so, have them professionally cleaned.

We mainly chase redfish and is one of the reasons besides hunting that I purchased a airboat this year. During average to lower tides, back lakes get stacked with redfish. Most people run until they see a decent size group and shut down and throw cut mullet. Its not hard if the fish are there. Usually within 20-30min, the fish calm back down and move in to feed. I'd rather walk and sighcast with a weedless softplastic when conditions allow. This is usually in water between 6-10". In the late summer, large schools of black drum also move in the lakes showing their tails. We still sightcast but usually thread a piece of shrimp on a hook with no weight. Black drum are much better tasting than reds IMOP. Just not as glamorous to catch. We'll be hitting it pretty hard again as soon as duck seasons ends. Good luck!

Pic of my buddy in the LLM and me around Rockport.
Attachments
jj resized.jpg
jj resized.jpg (94.01 KiB) Viewed 2843 times
jj's cabin1.jpg
jj's cabin1.jpg (26.6 KiB) Viewed 2843 times
Professional JB Welder
Old 18' American hull, 470CID S&S, Ch3 2:1, 3-blade Whirlwind Whisper Tip

Quackcephus
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby Quackcephus » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:58 pm

Thanks for the input guys... any particular rod or reel brand or model. Awesome stringers there NotAGuide :twisted:

JT122
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby JT122 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:30 pm

I have been using the Garcia 5500 and 6000 models for years and I think you can't beat them for the price and the reliability. Others that fish alot might not agree, but I don't fish every day like the guides do and they have worked great for me.
15X7 Alumitech, GPU 220/470 Conversion, Wisper Tip 72, TAA 418, SFFMA

Quackcephus
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby Quackcephus » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:52 pm

NotAGuide
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby NotAGuide » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:56 pm

I'd stick with Shimano products if all possible along with a nice 7' light-tip Allstar, Castaway, American Rodsmith rod. Ambassadors are extremely durable but are heavier than most Shimanos and more difficult to cast. The most popular reel in the last few years is probably the green Shimano Curado 200. Shimano recently upgraded the model and doubled the price. You might try finding a few lightly used models like this one on Ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/Shimano-Bantam-Cura ... 56384542ae.

Since we wade for hours at a time, the lighter Core or Chronarchs are a better fit along with a nice Waterloo or Laguna Wader rod. This combination usually runs around $550 though. Good luck!
Professional JB Welder
Old 18' American hull, 470CID S&S, Ch3 2:1, 3-blade Whirlwind Whisper Tip

Quackcephus
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby Quackcephus » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:48 am

Thanks for the input NotAGuide. :wink:

ghenry
Southern Airboat Member

Postby ghenry » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:00 am

The reason for the baitcasters is they don't corrode as easily but with an AB, Running the back lakes until you see fish/wakes(mostly reds) then sightcasting for them is a real treat. Come march-april the shrimp that hatch out are tiny like your fingernail so it's sometimes hard to get the redfish attention. Using a spinning rod is easier to sighcast with and is what most of the pros on the redfish tournaments have gone to. One very good tip for Knee to ankle deep water is learning to read the water to know what wake means what or subtle signs like a mullet or shrimp popping out of the water. Of course tailing reds are hard to miss but generally you'll need to be shin to ankle deep. Lastly, always have bass assasin or small gulp hooked with a worm hook only so you can fish it shallow and weedless. Small gold spoons(1/4 oz) are great. Bagley makes the best diamond patterned small, weedless spoon. Don't get frustrated, it takes a good 3-4 trips to get into the rythm, and even at that you may have slow days 50% of the time.
18' alumitech AGI-2, 540 felber, 4 blade sensenich superwide, 2.68 stinger gearbox

Quackcephus
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby Quackcephus » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:04 pm

Thanks for the info ghenry :wink:

ghenry
Southern Airboat Member

Postby ghenry » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:27 am

We'll, now that duck season is over I'll be in fishing mode. Quack, let me know when and where your planning on going and I can give you some advice on where to go or we could set up a trip sos I can show you the ropes. Shallow water sight fishing is my specialty and was all I did(mainly with flyrod from skiff or kayak) until some joker introduced me to duck hunting. I can't wait to use the airboat to get into the skinny waters on the coast where most folks can't go. Clear, knee to ankle deep water on the coast is a blast because it's like fishing and hunting at the same time. Generally, you're on foot and moving slow like a heron. Before the sun is high enough to see into the water, you'll be looking for large wakes or refish tails waving at you while they nose through the grass or mud kicking up shrimp and crabs. The trout will do this on the lower coast as well. Ignore a forked tail cause it's a mullet or hardhead(unless there's a whole bunch of forked tails waving around, then there are likely a few reds in there that will get your bait before the catfish do). Generally, you'll only have the chance to see tails if the water is knee deep or less and it's before 0900. I have seen on freek occasion tails at noon with no wind in July. After the sun comes up and you can see, actually look into the water with polarized glasses(a must when sight fishing). Sometimes you will see a flash or the actual fish and be able to cast strait to it. ALways cast 1-2' in front of wakes or you'll be behind the fish and scare it. Once again, shallow water fishing can be just as productive but much more interesting/rewarding than throwing some bait or lures out in deeper waters and just hoping some fish are down there. In that situation, though, some of the same rules apply. If you're not seeing any mullet moving around or shrimp popping out of the water , there's likely no fish around. Lastly, a cloud of seagulls hovering a few feet off the water(generally in april-june or oct-nov) is a sign that a large school of fish are feeding and pushing bait up to the surface. You can see this in shallow or deep water.
18' alumitech AGI-2, 540 felber, 4 blade sensenich superwide, 2.68 stinger gearbox

SHABA
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SHABA » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:29 pm

Wow Grant it seems liker you have done this a few times!!!! I have one spot that I want to take my boat to definitely when it warms up alittle!!! I am ready!!!! already have the equipment!!!!
2007 Diamondback, Sensenich 3 blade wide 80", Stringer Soft Drive 2.38 Reduction Drive! TAA511

540 mountain motor
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby 540 mountain motor » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:45 pm

When my new boat is ready real soon that is how I will be fishing. My bay boat could not get into those back lakes unless the tide was so high that a shrimp boat could travel down a ditch. I love to fly fish and throw plugs after a big redfish push wake. I ran my jet ski Saturday across Bastrop Bay and across San Luis Pass to put some hours on it and saw some pretty water but no reds. Shallow water is the only way I have fished for the last twenty five years. Sight casting is just like hunting...I keep my rig in Rockport from April till Sept so I can leave my shop fri night and be there in two hours...
18x8 GTO Saltwater Series, 540 MAS/PFI, 82 SW with Stinger 2.55, "540 RAT-N-A-CAGE"

T. Gaffney
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby T. Gaffney » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:56 pm

Went fishing in West Bay weekend before last and couldn't find any reds or trout to speak of. The sheephead and crown bit pretty well though!
Attachments
sheephead.jpg
sheephead.jpg (96.97 KiB) Viewed 2728 times

Quackcephus
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby Quackcephus » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:31 am

Thanks ghenry I will take you up on the offer. :wink:

Nice stringer there T. Gaffney. :twisted:

i assume that y'all are talkin' about wade fishin' when you're sight fishin'... do y'all wear breathable waders or stingray boots? :bounce:

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby rost495 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:44 am

For me, I have breathables, bootie foot, but have the strap on ray guards. Which was a good idea as I just bought a pair of breathable boot foots, and can now strap the ray guards on them too....

Return to “Texas”