Rod 'n Reel Gator Gar

Texas hunting and fishing.
belly_up
Southern Airboat Member

Rod 'n Reel Gator Gar

Postby belly_up » Fri May 07, 2010 1:01 am

Anyone have any luck hooking up to a gator gar on rod n reel? I tried a few times last summer with no luck.

I use a 6ft steel leader with 2 large trebels and half of a carp all held up with a big balsa float.

Any tips?

I know you have to let them run with the bait for a long time, i've watched them feed in aquariums and it takes them forever to swallow their prey.

I would love to fight one of these monsters on a rod. I saw a 6-7ft gar roll just last week right by the boat.
It ain't no woman flesh and blood, it's that damned 'ol airboat.

SwampMatt
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: Rod 'n Reel Gator Gar

Postby SwampMatt » Fri May 07, 2010 9:44 am

That sounds like fun!
It brings the fight you normally only get offshore into the river!!
I'd be worried about the line breaking from entanglements.
And I've heard you've got to gut hook them like you were saying.

belly_up
Southern Airboat Member

Postby belly_up » Fri May 07, 2010 12:29 pm

We are going to try it tomorrow...that is if we can shoot a carp for bait first.
It ain't no woman flesh and blood, it's that damned 'ol airboat.

txteal
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby txteal » Fri May 07, 2010 9:55 pm

we used to catch'em all the time below the livingston dam using those lindy corks with a big gizzard shad about 2 foot underneath witha treble hook through the lips and the other right behind the dorsal fin,we also rigged up with plastic coated cable instead of wire,it seemed to improve hookups because the gar can sense the wire(i think) some old timers i talk to say they like to use a frayed rope to catch'em,the best way to catch gar lately has been to go catfishing,always get'em when i'm not looking for them :evil:

80 panther
Southern Airboat Member

Postby 80 panther » Tue May 18, 2010 1:18 am

the frayed rope works tie it to where the rope hangs around the bait. tie little knots in it and it gets hung in there teeth they like live bait or something that moves.good luck with your gar fishing

Quackcephus
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby Quackcephus » Sat May 22, 2010 6:17 pm

These guys can put you on a BIG gator gar.... Bubba Bedre is "good people" :twisted:

http://www.garzillabowfishing.com/

Garzilla Guide Service has been featured on History Channel, Discovery Channel, and Animal Planet most recent show was River Monsters where we guided Jeremy Wade after alligator gar.

[youtube]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/d_T00IRCL7g&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/d_T00IRCL7g&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]
:texas:

Return to “Texas”