Duck Hunting in Lousana and upper Gulf Coast!!!

Texas hunting and fishing.
SHABA
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Duck Hunting in Lousana and upper Gulf Coast!!!

Postby SHABA » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:50 pm

Was just listening to the TV where they said that their would be oil in the marshes for months even into next year.... Especially 12-30 miles inward if a Hurricane or Tropical Storm hits the area. I am wondering about the migratory birds that uses those marshes.. I remember the time when we could take 10 ducks until the breeding grounds up north dried up. It took a good toll on the ducks and we could only shoot 4 birds... Wonder what this is going to bring this year? Hopefully all will be better by duck season!!! Mitch
2007 Diamondback, Sensenich 3 blade wide 80", Stringer Soft Drive 2.38 Reduction Drive! TAA511

NotAGuide
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: Duck Hunting in Lousana and upper Gulf Coast!!!

Postby NotAGuide » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:29 pm

Very good question that I've asked others as well.

I consider coastal marshes to be winter "feeding" grounds unlike nesting areas. Just as some years offer better habitat growth than other years, birds tend to congregate where the "groceries" are. Some years are horrible in certain areas which has nothing to do with numbers but habitat conditions. Hopefully this will hold true for this flyway. I also feel there will be certain species that fare better than others in relation to divers vs. puddlers. It only makes since that puddle ducks can find adequate food sources inland. Not as easy for large groups of divers in-printed to specific areas. Regardless of my thoughts or anyone else's thories, its a devistating blow for all birds and habitat of that region. The earth is basically bleeding. Lets hope for the best and get the F'n pipe capped!!!
Professional JB Welder
Old 18' American hull, 470CID S&S, Ch3 2:1, 3-blade Whirlwind Whisper Tip

SHABA
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SHABA » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:20 pm

I whole heartily agree

I just hope that they do not have to either cut the season short... bag limits down like they have in the past.... Like you said the divers congregate in masses how will they be able to control this....Well I guess that we will have to wait and see!!! Take Care Mitch.
2007 Diamondback, Sensenich 3 blade wide 80", Stringer Soft Drive 2.38 Reduction Drive! TAA511

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby rost495 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:38 am

I hope the idiots figure out they probably should burn the marsh before the migration starts.... I have no clue other than greenie weenies why we don't try to burn as much of this as quickly as we can while its still out to sea...

Of course this is all blown out of proportion by the media too. ITs a bad thing but its nature and it'll heal itself quickly... Ever drain the oil onto the ground at home.... its fertilizer in a short time...

Of course for the short term it sucks.

80 panther
Southern Airboat Member

Postby 80 panther » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:00 pm

THEY MIGHT BE ABLE TO USE ELECTRONIC SHOT GUN BLAST TO HELP KEEP THE DUCKS AND BIRDS OUT OF THE OIL.THEY USE THEM HERE TO KEEP THEM OFF THE BOXITE DRYING BEDS.THEY WORK VERY WELL

SHABA
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SHABA » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:06 pm

80 panther wrote:THEY MIGHT BE ABLE TO USE ELECTRONIC SHOT GUN BLAST TO HELP KEEP THE DUCKS AND BIRDS OUT OF THE OIL.THEY USE THEM HERE TO KEEP THEM OFF THE BOXITE DRYING BEDS.THEY WORK VERY WELL

Where do they mine bauxite in Aransas Pass???? That mineral is used for aluminum. How large are the drying beds???? The marsh in Louisiana is massive especially on the coast... Hopefully they can do something before the Migration... Teal season is in September not that far away... Louisiana has a lot of Teal there. Mitch...

80 panther
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Duck Hunting in Louisiana and upper Gulf Coast!!!

Postby 80 panther » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:23 am

They don't mine it here it comes from south America on ships then they mix water with it to pump it to big storage pits 5 miles away from the plant. these pits are huge and they use one blast device on each corner.they can't be that expensive a timer and small devise to make a blast. I'm not saying to cover all the marshes and bayous just the bad ones covered with oil.If you have ever driven over port bay bridge the huge berms on both sides of the road are the drying beds-and the road right by Gregory they have one there to.its just a thought.maybe I'm wrong for saying any thing sorry ill just keep my thoughts to my self from now on. so i don't offend any body

SHABA
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Duck Hunting in Louisiana and upper Gulf Coast!!!

Postby SHABA » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:10 pm

80 panther wrote:They don't mine it here it comes from south America on ships then they mix water with it to pump it to big storage pits 5 miles away from the plant. these pits are huge and they use one blast device on each corner.they can't be that expensive a timer and small devise to make a blast. I'm not saying to cover all the marshes and bayous just the bad ones covered with oil.If you have ever driven over port bay bridge the huge berms on both sides of the road are the drying beds-and the road right by Gregory they have one there to.its just a thought.maybe I'm wrong for saying any thing sorry ill just keep my thoughts to my self from now on. so i don't offend any body

80 PANTHER
NO!!!!! You have not offended anyone and we appreciate your opinion!!!! Sorry if i conveyed anything! I have been fishing Aransas for well over 30 years and never seen those pits! Yes you are right they need to do something!!! Sorry if I said anything to offend you believe me I would never do that!! In fact really glad that you put your 2 cents in I wish more would do that!!! TAKE CARE AND thanks!!! Mitch

Psss going to take my airboat out tomorrow at Aransas if I can find a Motel somewhere...For some reason they are booked solid!!! :(

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby rost495 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:49 pm

Seems like our crows are used to shotgun blasts around here by now, they use the CO2 guns for pecan orchards.... a good fire would do the work I would think and fire is a GOOD thing as long as its controlled burns... and not out of control... sure would get rid of some old dead crap and regenerate the vegetation....

I know why they don't want to do it now though... storm season is here...

Of course you really have to wonder how bad a storm could be... you have oil concentrated now... what happens if you dilute it a LOT... might actually be a better thing possibly....

So many unanswered questions, so other than the fact we know time IE a year or few, will heal it all, its a mess in areas now...

I do have to laugh though, you got folks in friggin head to toe haz mat suits to scoop up tiny tar balls off the beaches with a kitty litter scooper... pretty damn sure that a pair of rubber boots and some common sense would be enough to pick up tar balls... hell tar balls where on the beaches in the 70s all the time when we went to Galveston... you walked around em and no big deal.....

80 panther
Southern Airboat Member

Postby 80 panther » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:33 pm

Shaba I'm sorry i guess it took the wrong way I have never met any of y'all and i don't want to make any body mad before we get to meet maybe someday soon y'all seem like a bunch of fun loving people

Lakerunner
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Lakerunner » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:54 pm

Alternate habitats for migrating birds considered
http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/97781784.html

SHABA
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SHABA » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:06 pm

Lakerunner wrote:Alternate habitats for migrating birds considered
http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/97781784.html

Yes hopefully that will work... but when i kept reading I saw were it said because this has been a routine over time they think it might not work!!! I sue hope it does!!

Return to “Texas”