Bow season right around corner

Texas hunting and fishing.
rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Bow season right around corner

Postby rost495 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:12 pm

540 mountain motor wrote:Jeff I know with your bow hunting experience you have bound to have sound advice for me. Think back hard in that noggin of yours and put together me a solution. You da man.

All I can add, wash your boots, I wore only rubber boots at least knee high... wash the hell out of em, dump baking soda in each one. Scent lock stuff is a joke really, at least IMHO. But wash the clothes as you do. Then stick it in scent free bags... we used trash bags all the time and had no issues, but put a number of cedar limbs in them. I use coon urine all the time too.. I prefer it to fox... just a mist on each sole every so often on the walk in. I then would take skunk scent, and open the bottle and just dip a clean toothpick in it, just about a quarter inch or so, and then put the tooth pick out. You just barely want that odor.

Bottom line... we never could fool hogs.... SOBs just have a nose... deer OTOH... all you do plus some... and the silver scent killer stuff. BTW I'm a FIRM believer that if you could... you'd be WAY better off to be a vegetarian for 2 months..., AND we always took chlorophyll tabs. And we brushed our teeth good with baking soda before going out.

Other than that there was this stuff called Pit Stop years ago... it was teh BEST underarm scent killer I've ever used...

but back to bags and clothes... cedar limbs in. Don't forget your towels... waste of time to do all that showering and then dry off with a house towel thats had soap and static sheets in.. and DON"T dry the clothes in the dryer... too many other smells in there.

Good luck. Saw a 110 or 115 inch deer( I hate score and record books but it gives something to compare) 2.5 year old Sat Am. Thats it. Only went finally last night again..... and saw nothing. Acorns abound. And we have a horrible domestic issue between the FIL and MIL right now... he needs to stay away is all I can say. My life is upside down right now.

Jeff

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby rost495 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:16 pm

BTW coldair... good looking deer, good luck on the elk... remember the rules on escaped exotics though.. it could give you a headache....

540.... other thing I noted in your post... Backpacks suck up scent... I would not use one unless its never been stored bad.... I hunt ground blinds nowdays and use those waterproof boxes instead... use it to sit on and keep my stuff in it... when I re-read things... I'd bet 2 big things... you are using shower towels from home... AND the backpack is killing you. Just from guessing.

540 mountain motor
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby 540 mountain motor » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:26 am

Gotcha Jeff. Knew you could steer me in a winning direction. I dry off with scent washed towels but I bet my backpack is a major issue. I washed it in the off season but kept it in my closet exposed. Gonna try zip lock bags for the next hunt and I am sure now that my breath is gonna be a problem. I brush my teeth three times a day minimum and even at lease. Every morning I use regular tooth paste and did not even consider that to be issue. I use mouth spray rarely to cover up the scent but will use your methods described. I also have never washed my boots. I never do anything in them but hunt and remove immediately afterwards but have never washed in five years. They are rubber but I read that if you run well water over them and scrub them by hand with no soap it will help. I left them sitting out on steps of RV last time upside down to try and air out. I will hang my clothes out at night in cedar tree limbs before hunt to soak up "nature",,, sorry about the rant on what to do.. Thanks again for the help. Robert.......
18x8 GTO Saltwater Series, 540 MAS/PFI, 82 SW with Stinger 2.55, "540 RAT-N-A-CAGE"

540 mountain motor
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby 540 mountain motor » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:29 am

coldairman wrote:Had a bit of a surprise at our lease opening weekend of bow season, checked the trail cam pics and saw some hogs,turkeys, couple of nice bucks and then BAM a BULL ELK!! Must have escaped from neighbors high fence. Hope to need a bigger ice chest to haul this one home.

Holy crap! I would have died on that one, or HE will die..LOL Awesome pic. Where do you hunt? I will show my guys at shop that pic, I will have to pick them up off of floor. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
18x8 GTO Saltwater Series, 540 MAS/PFI, 82 SW with Stinger 2.55, "540 RAT-N-A-CAGE"

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby rost495 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:18 am

Robert, best of luck... you get to the lowest scent signature you can, tiny bits at a time. I never could do the veggie route though... just not in me... plus camp life was for grillin and chillin...

BUT if I had something specific I was chasing... then it was do EVERYTHING I could.... it helped.

Moving stands each year helps so they never know... but you have to play the wind above all... I've been busted as much with scent lock on as not... since I bought into the scheme I still wear it at times... I mean why pay and not wear it. But I killed as much in BDUs as anything.

coldairman
Southern Airboat Member

Postby coldairman » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:55 pm

Our place is near Sabinal, been there 37 years. We have all of our bowstands in oak trees. Always found it a lot tougher to get big bucks in close to ground blinds because scent will give you up too often no matter how good you wash your a**. Better to get off the ground when you can and pay attention to wind direction and hope he doesn't approach from downwind (usually does). Rost what is law on escaped exotics? I always thought LOSERS WEEPERS!!!!

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby rost495 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:06 pm

I'd check with a game warden honestly. I used to teach hunter ed and was more up on it. But first you have to have landowners permission to shoot anything. ANYTHING.... IE we are limited on our lease, I'd jsut as soon shoot 4 does most years but the old fart says 2 bucks, 2 does....

Then exotics have basically been classed just like livestock, and basically are just that unless free ranging.... if free ranging its cool. But especially (IIRC) if it has a mark, brand, tatto, or tag.. its like having the neighbors bull jump the fence.... you can't just shoot the neighbors bull. I get into arguments all the time over this especially from the oldheads that think they know it all because they've done it that way for years... but face it times change....

I'd seriously check with a warden in that area first, not your area, but your hunting area and get the scoop on how THEY INTERPRET it...

In theory.. if your lease is for deer and quail say... and the neighbor bought red stags... and the fence had a hole... it came over, you shot it..... you could owe for the stag like a bull, and then you could have also illegally harvested as the warden will ask the landowner if he/she gave you permission to shoot exotics etc.... It gets to be a big legal web at times.

Jeff

coldairman
Southern Airboat Member

Postby coldairman » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:08 am

Jeff, First sorry to hijack 540's scent thread. I will definitely take your advice and talk to GW about legalities. But I would view this initially as an escaped exotic is classified as a non-native game animal just like feral hogs,ring neck dove etc. with no restrictions on harvest and I don't see how they can be classified as livestock. Our landowner after all these years does not dictate any restrictions on harvest as we have been intensely managing this property for so many years. We have had neighbors put up high fences in 2 sides in the last 10 years and 1 neighbor just put up a new high fence (1.5 mi.) the week before archery season started. I know it is a sign of the times but it is just a bit unsettling for these guys to do this and then have the nerve to come over to us and tell us that they do not want us to have any stands within 200 yards of the property line. We have never shot a deer across the fenceline when it was freerange and surely wouldn't do it now, and I don't remember them kicking in for any of the money or work we do so they shouldn't come over to our place with any lame suggestions. ( sorry bloodpressure went up there for a second). We are all about responsibility,game management and following the law so like I said I will take your advice and talk to GW before we hunt this weekend and hope to post a pic of this elk on the tailgate with no remorse for my neighbors loss.

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby rost495 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:25 pm

If the GW is good, I have no issues.

The problem is that folks buy these animals to raise and sell/hunt... thats NO different than buying a calf to raise for a cow... and if that cow gets onto your land you have certain rights... IE charging a per day pasture fee etc... but you don't have the right to shoot the cow.

Do I agree with what the exotics folks have attempted to do? I'm waffly... yes and no.... but I do know thats its like a speed limit.. if you exceed it you run a risk. The officer didn't/doesn't set the limit, only enforces it.

Hence my suggestion RE the GW... and make damn sure the landowner won't bite you.. IE its easier to ask now... hey if we see an exotic can we harvest it too? Than to loose to both the GW and the landowner later.

Good luck, Jeff

540 mountain motor
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby 540 mountain motor » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:59 pm

Left for Bandera Wed night late with wife for anniversary weekend. Hunted a few times only to spend time with spouse who supports my time in boat and stand fully. Friday evening had three eight pt bucks and two doe come in early to blind area. Passed on them in hopes of monster that would be stupid and make a lethal mistake. Just then a beautiful nine pt beast stepped in about 50 yards away and watched him chew up some corn I threw for about twenty minutes and then turned slightly quartered away at 30 yards. My heart was pounding so hard I thought I might have a stroke right there, I drew down on him and put my top pin on him and let it fly. MISTAKE.. I let the lower cam on my Mathews rest on my left knee without thinking about it. I was wearing shorts and boy did I get a nasty burn from the string and pulley. The Muzzy glanced off the right shoulder of the beast and he bled only about a cup total. My wife and I still trailed him over 300 yards through the cedar thickets and over one fence. When I say trailed him, I mean one drop every 15-20 yards. I feel confident it was not a death shot but I still felt awful. I made a stupid mistake. I have taken a large number of animals in my bowhunting life but this was the largest buck I have had the opportunity to draw down on. I estimated him to be around a 145 class hill country buck with a massive base on him. I know that most people see larger than that all the time but for my lease that was a trophy. Dumb mistake. I prepare and prepare but still let myself get caught up in the moment only to bruise the animal and make myself SICK!!!!!!!!!!!

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby rost495 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:17 am

Count yourself lucky in one way... I have had a bow limb get in trouble twice... once at 10 yards... Neither arrow was close to the deer... but then you gotta hate that you hit him, even though you know what you know.

You did the best you could on trailing, something that you have to follow up on.

FWIW on a hit like that, I won't follow it for at least 8 hours... if he is dead, he'll still be... if not and almost you can't afford to push him, if its a wound only, no difference.

I still won't take a chance on 30 yard shots... I watched a few minutes of hunting last night. Every last deer shot at moved... I just can't take the chance of a bad hit.

Glad you had a good time though!! 145 is huge for the hills IMHO. I've only seen one deer free range in Llano that approached that... FWIW he has no clue what happened, and will most likely be back before the end of the year.... patience my son.. patience....

Get a camera up asap.. and see when he starts to come back around... I've actually seen similar results(as I said, I've got too much BTDT under my belt when it comes to bow...) IE they come back, as quick as a week.... Remember, getting ripped up by a tine from another buck hurts way more than a sharp head...
Jeff

Oh yeah, you won't make the leg mistake ever again... but you need to make a mini list of things to check before you shoot, such that its like a mantra.... you HAVE to run that checklist mentally before each practice shot. And since you shoot seated, you have to do all your practice that way too.... you can avoid heat of the moment mistakes like that, IF you practice correctly. And then NEVER shoot from an awkward position... it'll bite you in the butt... have a chair that turns quietly and so on...

coldairman
Southern Airboat Member

Postby coldairman » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:19 pm

540, Had the same SICK feeling a time or two myself. 30 yards is an ethical shot by far so don't beat yourself up about a bad hit because if you bowhunt enough eventually s### happens. I always said there are about 1000 things that can go wrong and I'm about at #812. My son had this nice buck in on him Sat morning but when he drew his bow it creaked and buck took off, he is now at #288 on his list. Keep gettin out there and enjoy it because you already know it aint about what is in the cooler. We've discovered broadheads in 2 deer over the years that were found during dressing that had completely healed over with no negative effects to the deer hopefully yours has the same results but I wouldn't expect that deer to give you another try anytime soon, I think that is why we have so many good bucks because we let them walk when they are young but when you try to kill them and do not succeed they become very educated and it almost takes the rut to make them lose attention to surroundings. BTW Rost Game Warden said what I thought, Elk is not considered livestock but is a non-native game animal for Texas (like axis). He said LOOSERTS WEEPERS, and our landowner said we could not shoot it unless we deliver at least 10# of steaks to his house! Just figures, we haven't seen the elk anymore.
Attachments
SUNP0129 (2).JPG
SUNP0129 (2).JPG (114.52 KiB) Viewed 1734 times

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby rost495 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:55 pm

Glad to hear that the elk is legal, there was a lot of stuff that the exotic folks got passed/tried to pass.... I suspect it deals with if it has an obvious tag in it... and then again it may have been passed but then revoked later... there was a BIG uproar over it and I can see why on one hand.

Keep after the elk... he could still be around!

As to the ethics of a 30 yard shot vs the deer moving... thats ethical to some and not to others.. define ethics.... I used to could hit a target the size of a coke can at 80 yards all day with my bow.... but due to time of flight..... Thats my personal take on it. Lets just say that when I release an arrow anymore these days, there is NO doubt about death of the animal. As such I'm shooting close, and forced to pass some shots... I just don't sleep well with taking iffy shots. You get that way when you've killed over 100 head of big game with a bow... you've seen it all.. trust me.....

Nuff of that, I'm off the soapbox.

Jeff

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby rost495 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:32 am

BTW that creaking.... can generally be avoided if you simply draw your bow every 30 min to hour while hunting....

540 mountain motor
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby 540 mountain motor » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:38 pm

Thanks for the encouragement guys and ColdAir tell your boy I feel his pain with the bow creak. Jeff you are right again. I read your reply two times and see where your coming from. I made the mental list but lost half of it in the heat of the moment, never again on the leg mistake..

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby rost495 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:09 pm

Mental Mantra is a savior for sure. Just have to work one up and repeat it... I got caught by limbs both times in new stands and odd shot angles... not an excuse but I do make sure my body is clear, my elbow is rolled out and not locked in, that I don't have binocs on me.... or anything hanging, or a shirt with buttons on that would get in the way.... in fact I have some xxl long sleeve T shirts for bowhunting... I put them on as a last layer to snug it all..even over coats.

The shot distance thing... time of flight, etc... its all personal. I just used to take longer shots and had some issues.... some work perfect, others not... I simply don't want any question anymore.... and a number of folks that hunt with me feel the same.... Everyone else can do exactly the way they want to. I still have a big mental issue with a longer shot at a bull in a herd of cows many years ago....

540 mountain motor
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby 540 mountain motor » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:14 pm

Good news. We reviewed all our game pics and have concluded that the buck we shot at was seen Thurs night and Fri morning at two different locations. I feel good about taking another shot a mature buck when I can. The buck had a minor flesh wound on his right shoulder and some dried blood but was looking well for what happened to him.

belly_up
Southern Airboat Member

Postby belly_up » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:31 pm

Thats great, I'm sure very relieving for you as well.

good luck on getting him!
It ain't no woman flesh and blood, it's that damned 'ol airboat.

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby rost495 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:37 am

540 mountain motor wrote:Good news. We reviewed all our game pics and have concluded that the buck we shot at was seen Thurs night and Fri morning at two different locations. I feel good about taking another shot a mature buck when I can. The buck had a minor flesh wound on his right shoulder and some dried blood but was looking well for what happened to him.

Good to hear, but thats exactly what I figured..... pretty typical for the way you described that.

Around here... you can just about give up.. I can't even find the RIGHT acorn tree... there are so many..... haven't seen a deer other than dead in the ditch or live in town chasing does... since opening weekend... might be till after thanksgiving that they become regular again and come to the oats and so on... assuming we get rain for the rest of my oats and the first batch doesn't die in the meantime... I'm really hating this weather.... hot and dry SUCKS.

belly_up
Southern Airboat Member

Postby belly_up » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:07 am

Its time for ducks now..
It ain't no woman flesh and blood, it's that damned 'ol airboat.

540 mountain motor
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby 540 mountain motor » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:51 pm

Headin west again this Friday night. Have not missed a weekend yet...

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby rost495 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:39 pm

belly_up wrote:Its time for ducks now..

I'm off to Alaska shortly.... I doubt I'll get to ducks until second split. I don't care for early season anyway... not enough birds around most times... I get horned up about the coast in Jan....

Have a valve cover off to weld an oil fill in... oops.. burned through the fill into the plug threads.... order a new one... wait a bit longer...

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby rost495 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:40 pm

540 mountain motor wrote:Headin west again this Friday night. Have not missed a weekend yet...

Good luck on that. I recall those days... driving to other side of Junction, get there at midnight.. hunt 4 hunts, come home Sun around midnight..... do it every weekend in bow.... glad I'm not that mad at em anymore.

540 mountain motor
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby 540 mountain motor » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:03 pm

rost495 wrote:
540 mountain motor wrote:Headin west again this Friday night. Have not missed a weekend yet...

Good luck on that. I recall those days... driving to other side of Junction, get there at midnight.. hunt 4 hunts, come home Sun around midnight..... do it every weekend in bow.... glad I'm not that mad at em anymore.

That is exactly what we do. Already 3k miles on my truck just this month alone. Weekend warrior bow hunter. Other guy on lease stayed for Sunday evening hunt and shot a spike, cleaned it, packed up gear and then headed home. He sent me a text Monday morning at 3 am when he pulled into his driveway. He is a local oral surgeon and I told him that I was glad I did not have any mouth surgery planned for that day. LOL. He came by shop today for game cam pics and I asked if he has recovered yet, he told me that he is still lethargic and sleepy. We all play hard don't we!!!!!!!!! Wouldn't trade it for anything though :bounce:

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby rost495 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:04 am

Best of luck if you read this.... I broke my personal rule of 15 yards and under this morning on a big trash deer that I needed to kill... and of course it bit me in the azz.... I need to learn... 22 yard shot, broadside, quartering away.. my 2nd pin is set on that distance exactly... at 65 pounds, light carbon, and 3 blade muzzy... held perfect, and about half way to the deer he decides instead of ducking some(I'd held on the white/brown hair line heart high) he LUNGES forward bad.... broke the back leg ...... and knocked him down but not long enough to get another arrow in him...

At least I know not to look for him till either noon or 5... 5 being the smarter option... he is in a thicket that has some boundaries that I don't think he'll cross unless he is well... I have NO clue due to the blur of motion... if the arrow penetrated any after breaking, stayed in him etc.... and I'm not totally sure of the hit location other than back and low and breaking a leg. Personally I'd rather him have ducked and I"d have centered the lungs instead of the heart... OR I'd rather him not lunged so far.. so that I could have centered the guts at least.

We'll see. I may be pissed at myself again, but all this talk of 30 yard shots.... screw it, 15 and under from now on forever.

Return to “Texas”