Bow season right around corner

Texas hunting and fishing.
rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Bow season right around corner

Postby rost495 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:04 pm

I've had one DB blind since they came out many moons ago.... I want to say circa 90 or so anyway.... and it stays set up sometimes, from September through Jan here. Its getting long in the tooth, but moneys worth for sure.

I'm sure eyeing a couple of others... main issue is I like totally tan camo... the greens get way to dark for most issues IMHO... though a dark green would work very well in a cedar...

Sweat your butt off in the things sometimes.... but man you can't beat it.... this from someone who hunted for YEARS from ladders and tripods.... and not tall ones... .that was getting old having to stay so dang still and such.... in my DB.. I can lay down if I want to..... read books, drink, etc... and a thermacell kills all mosquitoes every AM with generally about 5-10 min run time first thing in the AM.

Sent DB an email... waiting on a reply.

belly_up
Southern Airboat Member

Postby belly_up » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:02 am

DB? psshh...

I got my homemade airboat cage stand to hunt of at our house...haha Have it covered with whatever I could find, tar paper, old blinds, tarps, military netting and some natural veg....talk about a sweat box! Thats why i'm lettin my bro hunt it this season lol

But yes, the pop-up blinds are nice, we have a hub style one, cant remember the brand off hand though. I just love being up in the trees though, but thats not always possible.
It ain't no woman flesh and blood, it's that damned 'ol airboat.

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby rost495 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:50 pm

Trees are nice for you youngsters.... I"m getting to old to do that thing much anymore. Dont' get any joy of sitting perfectly still for 4 hours while gnats crawl in your ears, skeeters drain you, have have to cough, sneeze, sniffle, stretch etc... but basically you can't do a dang thing...

Hear ya on the homemade.... all we ever used in Llano was game fence tall T posts and mesh wire.... and that black silt fence stuff.... and add in camo and or nat veg over it. Could get really hot.... but you are so well hidden.... I had a turkey hen pissed at my calling once, she actually thumped the blind a few times.... it was so funny.... but then try to shoot a turkey from a tripod.... GOOD luck..... I"ve done it once... but shoot em from a blind all day long...

Only thing about the cheap blinds... (remember I bought DB in the late 80s or early 90s and it was pretty cheap as a demo blind that time) is shine.... too many of the 100 buck blinds have a shine to them.... the bone collector supposedly doesn't and I may order one as I'd like to have a blind big enough for Carolyn to sit with me most times. Especially since down south I think we'll hunt much more bow than gun in the future... crossbow allows us to still kill some does fairly easy... but more fun than the gun.

You hunt this AM? I"m still waiting on a patch of poly for my boat... before I can go run it to hunt or test...

belly_up
Southern Airboat Member

Postby belly_up » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:22 pm

Went down to sealy to help guide. The whitewings were thick.

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby rost495 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:42 am

Cole and I sat at the tank at the road.... 1 dove that I missed... never saw it come in and it flew off later I guess... was too far off but I suck anyway, you've seen that personally..... At least Cole decided to swim for some cooling and fun.... and of course the new adopted mutt... at the house... one shot and he was scratching at the door to get in... that was 400 yards away....

Gotta work on the poly patch some tonight.... but then when I wanted to find a sandbar to hunt downriver( you gotta tell me where) we have a dumb fair to go to....peer pressure ya know....

belly_up
Southern Airboat Member

Postby belly_up » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:56 pm

We'll be on the river sat afternoon. Gonna wait to go to the fair maybe afterwards if I even go. Hunter and his buddy shot 6 at my gpa's this evening, said there was quite a few but their shooting wasnt good.

540 mountain motor
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby 540 mountain motor » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:57 pm

We still b waiting for season to open down here. You buncha Killas
18x8 GTO Saltwater Series, 540 MAS/PFI, 82 SW with Stinger 2.55, "540 RAT-N-A-CAGE"

540 mountain motor
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby 540 mountain motor » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:05 pm

Already got it arranged. Will leave work at noon Friday and head to Bandera, wife will close shop down and then head that way late. Plan on stickin something this weekend. Can't wait. Weather should be awesome. Maybe the temps will be good and no sweatbox in Double Bulls....
18x8 GTO Saltwater Series, 540 MAS/PFI, 82 SW with Stinger 2.55, "540 RAT-N-A-CAGE"

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby rost495 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:10 pm

Good luck! I stuck my ground blind out today.. the deer are used to it anyway so no biggie.. I've put it up and had deer less than 10 yards less than 2 hours later.....

Best of luck the coming weekend! It'll be a hair hotter than I like but better than it could be I believe.. It shouldn't be more than 90 so thats a start.

Somewhere along this week between carpentry and welding I'll figure out where my bow is and shoot it a few times to verify....

540 mountain motor
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby 540 mountain motor » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:51 am

I hear ya. No time to sight in that is the way it goes. I have been shooting for the last two months, will hit it hard after work every night this week..

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby rost495 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:18 pm

Yah think sighting in is bad... I have one round left for my 7x300 wtby custom..... I don't like the bullets so need to load others but that means test, rezero etc..... I may be hunting with one round this fall..... more than likely just grab my 308 instead... its good to 700 yards with zero's...

belly_up
Southern Airboat Member

Postby belly_up » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:33 pm

Been shooting a lot this last week, plan to shoot a few every evening until friday, then its off to Castroville to try and get a doe. Sure is hard to concentrate on my tests this week when bow season is so close.

540 mountain motor
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby 540 mountain motor » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:59 am

Will be blowing through Castrationville about 3:00 friday afternoon...Can't wait...

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby rost495 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:47 am

Another front Friday!!! Man I wished I had a lease due to that... should be really nice weather to hunt.. I had too many 90 degree plus days in Oct over the years on leases.. and that wasn't the worst... it can be 70 when you get up... and humid... ouch.

Ya'll enjoy! I"ll be up and out Sat AM... but so many acorns have hit.. I doubt I"ll see much... I"m waiting for our main rut around the 15th or 20th.

Jeff

540 mountain motor
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby 540 mountain motor » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:51 pm

Good luck to all this Sat AM. What time do you folks roll out of the sack for a hunt? I get accused of getting up too early and sitting in blind too long. I am a believer in scent control and stealth for bow hunting so I get prepared early so I don't rush and forget anything. You gotta know what I mean in the preparation part of bow hunting. One particular blind on our property takes about 18 minutes on four wheeler at 20 mph to get to so I leave about an hour before daylight. The Good Lord blessed me with lots of patience which in bow hunting comes in handy. I love to sit for about 5 hours each hunt in a Double Bull and listen to God's creation waking up and then going to rest in the evening. Even better when I can harvest an animal. Hey Jeff, Elton got bit by a copperhead outside on his back porch recently and spent about four hours in hospital and then told doctors that he was leaving and would tend to his wounds himself. He is fine and more stubborn than ever. I went to his house Monday and picked up his truck for some clutch repairs and he told me the whole story of the snake bite over and over again. He is a great guy. My in laws live one house over from him and my wife has known his family forever. My Dad was his boss at Dow for about 25 years and are great friends with Super Bear(Elton).. How is the house coming? Has everyone been getting their archery practice in? Busy, busy but one must be ready...

belly_up
Southern Airboat Member

Postby belly_up » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:41 pm

I've been shooting everday, should have some new arrows to go pick up any time now, just waiting on the call.

I was planning to go down to castroville but the mother of one of my close friends just passed away so I will stay around LG so I can attend the funeral sat.

Will probably get in the stand around 6-6:15

I'm still excited, cant wait to get in the stand. Its gonna be some awesome weather with this next cool front!

...back to studying

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby rost495 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:21 pm

Who died?

540... sorry to hear about Elton... but I don't expect it'll slow him in the least really.... bet he'll be hell on copperheads again though...

We had to take off today to replace moms electrical panel that was rusted and falling off the house... what a PITA... about 10 hours of work and I still have a couple more circuits to go but have to do some minor work on them..... at least I don't have to sweat that anymore.. but talk about cussing electricians that don't lube the wires and don't use antisieze on the big screws.... friggin idiots....

I gotta go see if I can find my bow and shoot at least Friday evening....

As to time in the stand.. it all depends on whats going on... sometimes I'd be in a stand an hour or even more before light depending on what the animals are doing... here at the house.. I can basically get there just when its still dark because mostly I don't see squat till around 8am.... Evenings though... you could get out early... the deer are always there later in teh season when its cooler.... but we don't go up that far... we stay about 300 yards back during gun season... if I wanted to bowhunt it could get fugly in a hurry because they tend to roam all over about 20 acres in the afternoon and would scent you regardless of what wind was blowing.

I have some welding I have to get done before Sun AM so the next 2 nights will be that part.....

Jeff

540 mountain motor
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby 540 mountain motor » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:21 pm

Well Jeff knock out that welding and everybody else get their chores done because this weather is going to be stellar. We ALL need to be in the stand come Sat AM. Gonna be a long drive Friday but worth it. Gotta head back early Sun morning cause I gotta mow at the church Sun PM. Couldn't get to it this week yet so I will make do. Sorry about the loss of family members, proud that students still know how important school really is and that a job with manual labor is a tough living. Not saying it is wrong, but just tough at times..Really enjoy visiting with ya'll on here....

540 mountain motor
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby 540 mountain motor » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:24 pm

One more comment about the manual labor thing, my hands ache as I type this...I know, I know I am a whiner...

belly_up
Southern Airboat Member

Postby belly_up » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:16 am

My first job at 15 was working for an HVAC company...definately made me want to go to college..way too many hot attics for he. haha. I still work on a ranch now when I can.. Can't wait to get out and get a "real" job but I also enjoy it here at A&M and dont really want to leave..think my parents do though

sat morn cant get here fast enough!

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby rost495 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:21 pm

Found my bow last night.... and found my practice arrows even though Carolyn had moved them..

A bit rusty the first few shots were off 2-3 inches... but settled in... and verified I"m on at 13 and 23 which are the 2 most high chance shots... I doubt I'd ever try 23 here... but then just in case I have 2 carbons with muzzzys.... for the 13 yard I have 3 200 grain snuffers ready.

I'll be there. I just don't expect to see anything shootable but you NEVER know.

Back to welding tonight... of course change plans AFTER I bought metal... but thats life... I'd think that 2-3 hours after work tonight might get most of the welding done... our mig is acting all goofy though at work... the other night I burned wire INTO 3 tips in a row before I called the mechanic.... oh yeah the high range is screwed up don't use that..... duh..... its always the little things that are killers...

belly_up
Southern Airboat Member

Postby belly_up » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:57 pm

Soo any luck?

I didnt see anything to shoot, got to watch a set of triplet fawns playing both mornings though. My dad got a doe at our house with a crossbow.

This weekend I plan to be in Castroville to get a doe or two.

540 mountain motor
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby 540 mountain motor » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:32 pm

Been over 1200 miles in these two weekends of bow season and have eyeballed many a deer. The other three guys on lease have taken two spikes, one doe and two cluckers. I have passed on everything including a cobbed up spike this morning at 7 with slight fog. Conditions have been awesome for hunting and my Dmax is getting into his pattern of pounding I10 Westbound. LOL. I take off every year for my anniversary the 14th and 15th so my wife and I will head west again Wed night after work and my son will stay with my sisters fam. Washing clothes from this weekend and plan on going to Fredricksburg and Kerville during the day and burning some of my hard earned coin and then sneak back to the property for some lungbusting action. Have any of you folks been to the little town of Medina and had some of that tasty apple pie? Man that stuff is to die for. I got scent busted two times this weekend and cannot put together why. Shower in scent soap, scent wash ALL clothing, scent wash backpack, spray down gear in Primos scent spray, coon urine on rubber boots, spray head with Primos and rub in hair thoroughly. Any ideas? With any wind I know it knocks down you chances to 50/50. This year I spent 50 bucks on scent prevent and double bag all gear. I even spray my bow. Tell me what I did wrong. PLEASE>

540 mountain motor
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby 540 mountain motor » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:34 pm

Jeff I know with your bow hunting experience you have bound to have sound advice for me. Think back hard in that noggin of yours and put together me a solution. You da man.

coldairman
Southern Airboat Member

Postby coldairman » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:22 pm

Had a bit of a surprise at our lease opening weekend of bow season, checked the trail cam pics and saw some hogs,turkeys, couple of nice bucks and then BAM a BULL ELK!! Must have escaped from neighbors high fence. Hope to need a bigger ice chest to haul this one home.
Attachments
SUNP0134.JPG
SUNP0134.JPG (99.02 KiB) Viewed 1949 times
SUNP0057.JPG
SUNP0057.JPG (88.32 KiB) Viewed 1949 times
SUNP0135.JPG
SUNP0135.JPG (101.89 KiB) Viewed 1949 times

Return to “Texas”