Shell casings discharge?

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Shell casings discharge?

Postby Prototype » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:46 pm

I'm looking for a ladies 380 cwp piece that has a reliable right side discharge to not involve shooter interference of hot casing's falling in some very bad spots!

Any advice is greatly appreciated because she has more invested under her t shirt than I have in my stroker.

FYI, she plugs a quarter 4 of 6 at 30 feet with my sw 629 but it's not purse friendly and neither is my taurus which ejects casings in some bad spots for ladies.

nomad41
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Re: Shell casings discharge?

Postby nomad41 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:51 pm

Diamondback DB380. Wife has one it's prefect. I carry the DB9
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nomad41/
Treasurer FAA
Member:FAA, KRVSA ,IRCAA, FSCA

My old boat 14.5x8 Diamondback ,SBC Stroker,2.68 Stinger,Sensenich 82" R
Svcliche@yahoo.com

fl cracker
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby fl cracker » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:58 pm

Glock 42
" I have two guns...
One for each of you "

2017 Hamant / SV540

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Prototype » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:11 pm

Thanks,

We are looking at 20-40 feet maximum range with a 3-5 inch spread. And proper ladies casing discharge is a must!

Hog Guts
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Hog Guts » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:34 pm

The nicest one I have personally shot for a lady is the sig p238 go hold one and try the action at a gun store you may agree....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bman
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby bman » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:50 pm

http://youtu.be/N2TBX5BXUrM

Here's a video with the common 380 carry guns being reviewed.

nomad41
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby nomad41 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:51 pm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nomad41/
Treasurer FAA
Member:FAA, KRVSA ,IRCAA, FSCA

My old boat 14.5x8 Diamondback ,SBC Stroker,2.68 Stinger,Sensenich 82" R
Svcliche@yahoo.com

jaxduramax
Southern Airboat Member

Postby jaxduramax » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:05 pm

My LGS sells out of the G42s pretty fast so they are still going for sticker price. No blue labels yet either for those that qualify. I want one just because. Wife has a Keltc PF9. It eats Winchester white box like it's going out of style, no ftf or fte in years since break in. It ejects wide right as she has the same concerns as your lady. Made in Florida. Support your local economy. She disliked my P238 based on the thumb safety and the associated pains.

fl cracker
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby fl cracker » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:01 pm

Check floridaguntrader.com, there was a G42 in Ocala for $475.
" I have two guns...
One for each of you "

2017 Hamant / SV540

DDSBC
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby DDSBC » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:52 pm

My S&W 642 Airweight has never sent a hot case down my shirt in the 8 years we've been friends. I've never had a fail to feed, fire or eject. It may only hold 5 rounds but in the event I ever have a dud round in a time of crisis no tap, rack, bang process need be remembered because another instinctive pull of the trigger is all that's needed to send the next bullet to get the job done. If a J frame isn't her thing and she's looking for a .380 my wife personally loves her Kahr P380. I had a Kel-Tec P3AT and she didn't like the feel of it in her hands. I loved the feel of it but mine had all kinds of FTF and FTE problems no matter what ammo. My dad bought one around the same time as me and his works great so if you get a Kel-Tec do some fluff and buff to it and run a bunch of the ammo you plan to carry through it to make sure it will eat it without fussing. I haven't owned or shot a Glock 42 but every other Glock I've owned or shot has performed flawless besides a very old and neglected Glock 22.
Attachments
s&w.jpg
kahr.jpg
Micah Smith

BCAHCC, KRVSA and lifetime NRA member
12x7 Diamondback w/ rivited on poly, double rear driver double front passenger, full cage, 285 hp IO-520 swingin a 74" Whirl Wind Whisper Tip.

Blackcoffee
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Blackcoffee » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:36 am

Kel-Tec failed for me, the spring came out the guide rod hole and FTF. I like the S&W revolver mentioned and the S&W Shield in 9MM
GTO 14' Deckover

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Prototype » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:53 pm

Hog Guts wrote:The nicest one I have personally shot for a lady is the sig p238 go hold one and try the action at a gun store you may agree....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny?

I just found one! It's one of the originals in SS from the old country, Price tag to match? We have a range appt!

DDSBC- Yep I tried and thought maybe just an old 38 police special would fit the bill. They are getting very rare. We have tried the Taurus 85 and a SW 357 mag and a 629 44. Nothing fits so far other than I know she needs at least a 2 inch barrel and weights less than 3 pounds and if she is willing to go 380SA, it needs to discharge correctly.

fl cracker
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby fl cracker » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:03 pm

A .38 revolver would be the absolute worst fire arm possible to give a women. 5 rounds? Hard double action pull only ? She wouldn't be able to hit the side of a barn with that thing. That's why police don't carry that garbage anymore. Give here a fighting chance with a better option. Check out the 42, even better check out the G26 which holds 10 rounds of 9mm ( twice the fire power then the wheel gun)Get a gen 4 which come with 3 different size back straps to adjust the grip size. You won't find a better pistol for the price!
" I have two guns...
One for each of you "

2017 Hamant / SV540

DDSBC
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby DDSBC » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:14 pm

fl cracker wrote:A .38 revolver would be the absolute worst fire arm possible to give a women. 5 rounds? Hard double action pull only ? She wouldn't be able to hit the side of a barn with that thing. That's why police don't carry that garbage anymore. Give here a fighting chance with a better option. Check out the 42, even better check out the G26 which holds 10 rounds of 9mm ( twice the fire power then the wheel gun)Get a gen 4 which come with 3 different size back straps to adjust the grip size. You won't find a better pistol for the price!

Well fl cracker this gun proves not everyone thinks like you. It's the S&W 642LS "Lady Smith"
Attachments
s&w lady.jpg
Micah Smith

12x7 Diamondback w/ rivited on poly, double rear driver double front passenger, full cage, 285 hp IO-520 swingin a 74" Whirl Wind Whisper Tip.

fl cracker
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby fl cracker » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:42 pm

Hey don't get upset because you own a lady's gun lol I'm just saying compact wheel guns are not a very good choice for self defense Especially for untrained shooter.
" I have two guns...
One for each of you "

2017 Hamant / SV540

DDSBC
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby DDSBC » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:00 pm

fl cracker wrote:Hey don't get upset because you own a lady's gun lol I'm just saying compact wheel guns are not a very good choice for self defense Especially for untrained shooter.

Guess I set myself up for that one. :lol:
Micah Smith

Mitch James
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Mitch James » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:01 pm

Sig P232 has my vote out of my carry guns. Could use to be a bit narrower and not a fan of the bottom mag release but with accuracy should not need a second magazine. To each his own though.
2002 16X8 Airranger Rhino hull 502/502 2:1 belt with 3 blade WW Maximus prop

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Prototype » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:18 pm

I can't exclude a good 38! Its a good round and readily available. 380 I have very little experience with! It's like a step up from a 32 which I do like but also getting uncommon. Training is not an issue. Function and fit is!

She handles a 6 pound 44 better than most gents!

DDSBC
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby DDSBC » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:41 pm

Prototype wrote:I can't exclude a good 38! Its a good round and readily available. 380 I have very little experience with! It's like a step up from a 32 which I do like but also getting uncommon. Training is not an issue. Function and fit is!

She handles a 6 pound 44 better than most gents!

I'm not doubting your wife's abilities so shoot a heavy .44 caliber revolver but I don't think S&W makes a model 629 that even weighs 4 pounds. Six pounds would be 96 ounces! That thing would be a beast. On the other hand recoil shouldn't be to bad with a lead cannon like that.
Micah Smith

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:26 am

Shell casing trajectory is the issue here. To a point that can be altered some with nearly any auto loader, however, when it is an issue for the lady, a wheel gun simply can not be beat. Remember that for personal defense its going to be up close and very personal not across the street or parking lot. I would guess 10' or less. Even an un or not well trained person can hit a man sized target with a wheel gun at 7-10'. Now that doesn't mean don't get training and shoot a lot. The more training and the more you shoot the safer and better shot you will become. Also with the more experience you may develop preferences but in the long run of it the better you are with it the less difference it will make WHICH particular gun you have in your hands. Were not talking combat or open ware fare here, were talking staying alive up close. Just my take on it anyway. Training and practice is always cheaper than a funeral or long hospital stay. Get them ladies out to the range often and get them practicing proper methods and practices. Its not something that will come reading the print and pictures, you need to get them burning powder and slinging lead, and a lot of it. :thumbleft:
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

jaxduramax
Southern Airboat Member

Postby jaxduramax » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:04 pm

Airweight .38 Special + female fairly untrained shooter with sweaty hands in the heat of the moment = Find a good dentist.

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Prototype » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:10 pm

Whitebear wrote:Shell casing trajectory is the issue here. To a point that can be altered some with nearly any auto loader, however, when it is an issue for the lady, a wheel gun simply can not be beat. Remember that for personal defense its going to be up close and very personal not across the street or parking lot. I would guess 10' or less. Even an un or not well trained person can hit a man sized target with a wheel gun at 7-10'. Now that doesn't mean don't get training and shoot a lot. The more training and the more you shoot the safer and better shot you will become. Also with the more experience you may develop preferences but in the long run of it the better you are with it the less difference it will make WHICH particular gun you have in your hands. Were not talking combat or open ware fare here, were talking staying alive up close. Just my take on it anyway. Training and practice is always cheaper than a funeral or long hospital stay. Get them ladies out to the range often and get them practicing proper methods and practices. Its not something that will come reading the print and pictures, you need to get them burning powder and slinging lead, and a lot of it. :thumbleft:

Thanks Scotty!

Your dead on but I do try to train at 30 feet. Less is useless for a purse carry and more is questionable in Court for self defense vs running, as pathetic as that sounds.

There is no answer to politically correct self defense without a badge or massive attorney fees or a reasonable lead investigator. Stand Your Ground may revise that but I don't see a clear answer other than obvious repeditive training with something comfortable.

Not the wife or Honey but someone scared her to warrant comfortable self protection!

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:15 pm

Some of you really are clueless when it comes to a defensive handgun. Just buy the pink auto loader and everyone's happy!

Clearance drills? why bother
Fail to extract.....never
Double feed? What's that
Tap... Rack....huh?????

Most can not manipulate the slide due to strength issues much less clear a malfunction under stress.

Smith 642 or Ruger LCR is a perfect gun for the person who does not train on a routine basis. The Ruger LCR trigger is the best revolver trigger in recent times and the frame is +P rated with a good grip. Just because someone has a CWP does not mean they are competent.

AirRanger
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby AirRanger » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:04 am

SWAMPHUNTER45 wrote:Some of you really are clueless when it comes to a defensive handgun. Just buy the pink auto loader and everyone's happy!

Clearance drills? why bother
Fail to extract.....never
Double feed? What's that
Tap... Rack....huh?????

Most can not manipulate the slide due to strength issues much less clear a malfunction under stress.

Smith 642 or Ruger LCR is a perfect gun for the person who does not train on a routine basis. The Ruger LCR trigger is the best revolver trigger in recent times and the frame is +P rated with a good grip. Just because someone has a CWP does not mean they are competent.

Kind of one sided to call people clueless because they may not share your opinion on what makes a good PD or carry gun.

Manipulation of the weapon should be determined by the end user ability not by what "most" can or can not do.

The handguns you mention may be the best to you but not for everybody. That is why there is such a great market of choices and not just two to pick from.

My opinion on the original topic is this. If she likes the auto load .380 pistol, find one that has a good feel that is of a reliable manufacturer. Train with it at the range wearing clothes that will cover up so that shell casings are not an important factor but rather accuracy and safe manipulation. Pick one that you will be able to carry all the time, not just when convenient. If there ever is a situation when the trigger must be pulled in self defense, where the casings land will be the last thing on your mind.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:46 am

It's an opinion based on fact and experience. If you don't agree that's fine it's like car motors and aircraft engines. People are selecting a weapon system they really are not physically capable to manipulate or knowledgeable enough to remedy any malfunction. The choices often are made based on style, ultra compact size or color. When going to the range or out to the berm for "training" if you don't have a qualified instructor the scenario is simple!

THE BLIND LEADING THE BLIND!

Return to “Gun Talk”