A Browning A5 story...

DDSBC
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

A Browning A5 story...

Postby DDSBC » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:58 pm

My dad posted this on his Facebook and I really liked it. I hope he writes a book someday.

My love of Browning A5 shotguns started back in 1983. Everyone who has hunted with me any amount of time knows this. When we hunted in 2007 with my friend Dave in Wisconsin, he reached back in the safe past many beautiful pump guns to grab his A5 for me to gun with. It seems as if Austin has also caught the A5 fever since whenever I hunt with him that is his "go to" gun. My love of this gun did not escape the notice of my hunting partner Paul. For the last 3 decades he also gunned waterfowl with the beloved Browning Auto-5. Several seasons back he purchased a Beretta shotgun and ever since then his two A5's have been gathering dust. I inquired about purchasing the pair and he asked how much I was willing to pay. In jest I shot him a ridiculous price and he accepted the bid. I was embarrassed and refused them since he could easily get 3 times the amount I offered. I dropped the subject...then revisited it 2 months later. This time he gave me a more reasonable price. I wanted them both (even though the 12 gauge light twelve was what I really wanted) and I felt the "Galloping Greedy Gimmies" coming over me.

It says in the book of Hebrews to "Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have". I took this to heart and so I passed Paul's phone number on to another friend that was looking to purchase an A5. It hurt to pass this deal up...but it only hurt for a very little while.

Today at the end of another beautiful morning gunning ring necks in the marsh I was transferring my gear from Paul's boat to my car when He said to me "I'm putting this in your car". The "this" he was putting in my car was the Belgian Browning Auto 5 Light Twelve. He said "I want you to have it...a gift to you". I was stunned and pretty much speechless. He said "I will enjoy your stories of hunting with this gun more that I would enjoy the money I could get from selling it." He said a few other nice things as I fought back tears. I did not know what to say. He said nothing needed to be said. I think I finally said thank you...a few times. Now I have been given a a project to do. I have to create great memories and interesting stories with this new gun. Since I've always had a magnum A5 I've never shot a round of skeet with one. Maybe I'll start there? Let the adventure begin!
Attachments
dad.jpg
dad.jpg (1.65 KiB) Viewed 2078 times
a5.jpg
Micah Smith

BCAHCC, KRVSA and lifetime NRA member
12x7 Diamondback w/ rivited on poly, double rear driver double front passenger, full cage, 285 hp IO-520 swingin a 74" Whirl Wind Whisper Tip.

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: A Browning A5 story...

Postby Olf Art » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:00 am

Great story, and your father is an excellent writer as well. For folks who love the scatter guns like I do, that A5 is a special piece
of shotgunning history.

John Moses Browning's mark on firearms is legendary, and while he's most often credited for having designed some of the world's
finest shotguns, many don't realize the impact his genius had on rifles and pistols as well. He was once quoted as having said that
one of his biggest mistakes in life was having sold Samuel Colt the design for the '1911 Colt 45' for only $1,200.
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

lyc200
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby lyc200 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:55 am

I also shoot an auto5 best gun I every purchased. I also have my dads remmington squareback,

scrambletown
Southern Airboat Member

Postby scrambletown » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:14 am

the two I use are a browing 5 and a remington 11.
my FATHER bought the remington model 11 new in the 40's.
not enough money in ft. knox to get that one from me.
by the way the remington is made off browing patent.
read for life
philippians 4-13
john 3-16
deuteronomy 22-5
leviticus 20-13
luke 6-37

Huckster74
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Huckster74 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:34 am

I got my first A5 in 1976, I was 20 years old, still have it!

FLA BOY
Southern Airboat Member

Postby FLA BOY » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:16 pm

Great read Micah!
GSO480/12' Hammant
GPU/12' Richochet

lariat
Southern Airboat Member

Postby lariat » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:08 am

VERY COOL!

DDSBC
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby DDSBC » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:20 am

Thanks guys for the kind words and ya'lls own memories involving the A5. My first ever shot with a shotgun was with my Dad's A5 and I felt like I had just fired a cannon!
Micah Smith

BCAHCC, KRVSA and lifetime NRA member
12x7 Diamondback w/ rivited on poly, double rear driver double front passenger, full cage, 285 hp IO-520 swingin a 74" Whirl Wind Whisper Tip.

Return to “Gun Talk”