concealed weapon

scrambletown
Southern Airboat Member

Re: concealed weapon

Postby scrambletown » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:41 am

Hog Guts wrote:Do you keep a round in the chamber or are you racking one prior to shooting it the first time after it's been in the clip by not the chamber for some time?

When I first started carrying about 7 years ago I had a glock 40 and I did not keep a round in the chamber because there was no safety on the weapon and that made me uncomfortable having it shoved in my pants sometimes with holster sometimes without, sometimes in front sometimes in rear. I've since came to my senses and have a much more compact comfortable gun that's got a safety, is smaller and comfortable to carry all the time, is more accurate and is carried at 4 o'clock in a this holster now with belt clip. Having to rack a bullet into chamber in time of need is a bad idea for several reasons so if anyone is doing that you really shouldn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

don't carry a hot gun, to me thats just asking for trouble.
read for life
philippians 4-13
john 3-16
deuteronomy 22-5
leviticus 20-13
luke 6-37

scrambletown
Southern Airboat Member

Postby scrambletown » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:43 am

onearmedbandit wrote:As someone who reloads a round in the barrel after it has been fired I would look at 3 things.
1. Very lot of lead build up in the barrel and a light load.
2. Light load and cheap powder or bad powder.
3. Or not enough crimp.
I shot in S.A.S.S (Single action shooting society) for years and seen several 6 shooters blown to pieces because of lite loads to keep recoil down. One of the worst was a 1 generation colt .45 a guy just brought for $3500.00 and was loading bullets with only 3 grains of powder which did not create enough pressure to dislodge the bullet from the cartridge thus causing the cartridge to explode in the cylinder it took off the top 3 cylinders and blackstrap the gun was a total lost except for some nice stag horn grips and thank God nobody was hurt.
My guess would be since ammo has been at such shortage every Tom, Dick,and Harry out there cutting corners is to blame.
If you buy reloads make sure the reloader is certified to sell reloads just because their in a nice package (Gun shows ) don't make them good just cheap and possibly dangerous.
I've loaded over 30000 .45 long colts and have never had a failure. Every bullet must be gaged, weighed and visual inspection and I would never sell 1 bullet. So never use but the best for your concealed carry. JMHO :salute: :old_glory:

I reload my shot shells and 45's 3006's the 380 no.
unless I reload the shell I will not shoot it.
read for life
philippians 4-13
john 3-16
deuteronomy 22-5
leviticus 20-13
luke 6-37

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:52 am

Guess I am falling victim of my own hypocrisy.

This is a BULLET

This is a CARTRIDGE
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:08 am

digginfool wrote:For a second I thought maybe I missed something but, nope; Glock calls them magazines, too.

"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:13 am

Sigh....... Ok children, any further name calling and or personal attacks an the offender will be given a 2 week vacation from SA. I let this go on because it was funny but at some point its simply a rules violation and everyone knows it is a rules violation. So its going to be treated as a rules violation.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry

Bdriller
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Bdriller » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:34 am

Deano wrote:
digginfool wrote:For a second I thought maybe I missed something but, nope; Glock calls them magazines, too.

Thats a perfect application deano, obviously someone only recently came upon the airboat, woods, guns, outdoors, scene!

gobblerD
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby gobblerD » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:37 am

I was in a fire fight one afternoon in a walmart lot. I ran out of bullets and asked my buddy for another magazine.
He hanged me a copy of Marsh Rider.

Now I use the universal terminology " CLIP" when I need more ammo. :D

scrambletown
Southern Airboat Member

Postby scrambletown » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:40 am

gobblerD wrote:I was in a fire fight one afternoon in a walmart lot. I ran out of bullets and asked my buddy for another magazine.
He hanged me a copy of Marsh Rider.

Now I use the universal terminology " CLIP" when I need more ammo. :D

yep that marsh-rider and play-boy will get ya killed every-time.
:toothy7: :toothy7: :toothy7: :toothy7: :toothy7:
read for life
philippians 4-13
john 3-16
deuteronomy 22-5
leviticus 20-13
luke 6-37

onearmedbandit
Southern Airboat Member

Postby onearmedbandit » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:47 pm

WhiteBear, let it go on everybody can learn a little if they listen to others experiences. I have a friend that only made I through 6th grade and would trust his wisdom with my life on some subjects.

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:58 pm

Bandit I agree and I seem to be able to learn something from nearly everybody I meet. However, I really don't see that there is anything to learn from those calling others names, disparaging character comments, badgering others or personal attacks. I don't conduct myself in that manner and it IS in fact against the SA rules. In my mind the person who responds to these kind of comments is as guilty as the person making them at perpetuating that kind of behavior because its begins the back and forth of more comments of the same kind. One of the main requirements to be here is to simply get along. Not agree, but to get along.

If ya wanna fight and insult others, take it somewhere else. Not here on SA.

AceNtheHole
Southern Airboat Member

Postby AceNtheHole » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:20 pm

digginfool wrote:
AceNtheHole wrote:Don't be too hard on the 'Fool' Scramble. He's probably still upset that he has over 30K invested in his sled and it still can't go faster than 45 mph.... :stirpot:

You wish. Less than $18K in it and goes 63 with an Excalibur. You obviously speak out of your AceHole, pinhead.

That 'Fool' is a crafty one. He somehow slickered this picture of me from my facebook page...........Hmm........

helicsher
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby helicsher » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:15 pm

Here's my 2 cents
I learn a lot for people I meet and post it read.
Every one is a a$$hole at times
"Success Requires No Excuses"

OTTER
Southern Airboat Member

Postby OTTER » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:47 pm

thanks OTTER,
butt my concern was my 380 miss-firing twice. and leaving the projectile half way down the barrel.
I thought leaving the ammo in the gun for long period of time was the problem-butt 2 others on here had the same problem.
one suggestion was cleaning the gun plus oiling it without taking the ammo out.
I have gone to a snub 38 special-that a police-officer carried as a back-up. he died and his wife gave me the gun.
I would like a under the arm holster thou. any thoughts would be appreciated. if that's the one you mentioned then I will look it up.
I am sure you heard of the deputy (and you might have been with f.h.p. at the time) in marion county that went to a house for a well being check- and the man shot thru a kitchen window and killed him. (BRYAN LUTZ) also known as bat-man.
so I pretty much know a 380 will take care of business-plus it won't go thru the suspect and kill innocent people.

Yes i Knew of incident....

Back to Ammo and gun not firing.....
seen this with our Glocks a lot !!!! Too Much Lubricant !!!! 2-3 drops of Mobile 1 synthetic oil or if you can get it LUCAS Outdoor oil (orange cap) lube the slide rails only - Never lubricate firing pin / also never shoot PENETRATING oil or cleaner WD40 into firing pin hole...That oil if not removed will seep downward and fall onto the primer in the bullet casing, it will penetrate into the bullet and powder and will not fire or fire at a reduced level due to contaminated powder..

Glocks have issues with people turning the top slide upside down and they lube all the stuff rearward of the bullet seat and ejector. this seeps into the channel for the firing pin and gums it up.....and doesn't allow it to slam forward when the trigger is pulled, and gun doesn't fire. You should be able to hear a rattle if you shake the slide in your hand, if you don't its probably dirty....

I'm sure theres many that will disagree but this is a majority of issues we see with our LEO guns...

As for a good deep cleaner, a can of NON Chlorinated (green can) of Brake kleen will work wonders and is easy to use. it will degrease about everything and give you a clean gun to start with.

Guys and Gals try this stuff and share how it works for you,, I have no corner market on it nor am I an EXPERT, but i am an armorer for several weapons MFG, and have found this to work for me.

Good Ammo from TOP SHELF mfg is like liquor, Crown Royal vs red rooster.... If my life depends on it for a snake or a person i want it to work,, buy the cheap shot to train and plink with.

JMHO

Scramble I don't think your gun has a problem it is most likely ammo /// Magazines and clips - pay close attend to lips of them // most small guns are metal and when dropped will bend slightly..

scrambletown
Southern Airboat Member

Postby scrambletown » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:09 am

OTTER,
I have been doing exactly what you recommend not too.
butt again this gun is the only one I have had a problem with.
will try what you said.
also I have a weapon's expert from viet nam era that lives next to me-he use's acetone to clean with butt be very care-full not to let any on the wood it will take the finish off.
when its used correctly you can see the powder-dirt residue wash off immediately.
read for life
philippians 4-13
john 3-16
deuteronomy 22-5
leviticus 20-13
luke 6-37

scrambletown
Southern Airboat Member

Postby scrambletown » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:31 am

well new twist to leaving a clip loaded for long period's.
talked to two law-enforcement people the other day and it is an absolute no-no.
the one shoots every week or so-so the ammo in his clip doesn't stay long.
the other unloads her clip to clean.
thats where I made my mistake didn't unload the clip.
was glad to hear I wasn't the only one, very possibly a life saver.
read for life
philippians 4-13
john 3-16
deuteronomy 22-5
leviticus 20-13
luke 6-37

Arcticshooter
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Arcticshooter » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:41 pm

scrambletown wrote:also intellectual if you can put down the crack-pipe and you obviously have a computer-- look up pistol clip--rifle magazine.
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Just catching up with this thread and I figured I would throw my 2 cents in here.
I am a Tactical Firearms Instructor and hold several LE and MIL Instructor certs.
1st- The ONLY pistols that use a "CLIP" are revolvers using half-moon or full-moon "clips" to hold casings without a rim, such as 45 acp in a revolver. As far as rifles are concerned, the ONLY rifles that use "clips" are the M1 Garand style that uses an "en bloc clip".
All ammunition devices utilizing a Magazine body; follower; spring; and base-plate are "MAGAZINES"...not "clips"...sorry, but this is one of those things that we spend a ridiculous amount of time beating out of peoples vocabulary.

2nd- .380ACP is not what you want in a gun fight, energy sucks and reliability isn't far behind.
Just because lots of people have managed to die from a 22 long rifle, doesn't make it a good choice in a gun fight.
That having been said, I'll take the first loaded weapon that I can get my hands on, in a gunfight. However, if I am planning ahead and have a choice, it would be 45 ACP and then 40 S&W as carry options. I carry a full size 1911 and conceal it well with t-shirt and jeans. If I was always in shorts, I'd be carrying a compact in one of these calibers. I want to stop the threat...not tickle him to death.

3rd- Carry ammo should be the best you can buy. You are intending to save your butt with this gun and ammo combination, it is critically important that you get the most bang for your buck. Buy the best ammo you can and run a box or two through your intended carry gun. If you have malfunctions...try another brand of ammo or find a better gun.
Regarding ammo "carry life", I will pack the same rounds around until they start showing wear from being chambered a few times.
I do a fair amount of dry practice and range practice, so the carry ammo gets unloaded and loaded frequently. After that 25 rd box of carry ammo shows wear, it gets replaced and goes into the practice pile.
.380 that I have used and found reliable would be 1st-Remington Golden Sabers, 2nd-Winchester Silvertips.

So the morals of this story are:
Bring a real gun to a gunfight...Assuming you intend to win of course.
Use the best ammo you can find, that you have tested and found to be reliable.
It is a Magazine, or a Mag...like we tell the students on the range..."I'm willing to bet you don't have a single firearm that actually uses a CLIP."

Cheers,
Les

Arcticshooter
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Arcticshooter » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:49 pm

Agreed, you don't want that spring compressed for too long. Modern mags will mostly use chrome silicon springs, they can stay loaded for up to 6 months at a time. Best bet is, if you are carrying this loaded every day. get several extra mags and rotate them out every 2-3 months. 1st run them all at full speed and make sure they ALL work reliably. Then just carry these 2-3 for a few months and switch them out for the other set for the next few months.
If you find that your springs are taking a set, just take the mag apart and pull the spring from both ends to put the spring back in it's step! This works quite well and won't hurt the spring. it is best to measure a new spring and re-stretch to this length.
If you find the springs taking a set too quickly, you can get new mags or search Brownell's and see if Wolff makes a replacement spring for your model, theirs are top of the line chrome-silicon and you won't have to buy another.
HTH
Les

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:56 pm

Arcticshooter wrote:
scrambletown wrote:also intellectual if you can put down the crack-pipe and you obviously have a computer-- look up pistol clip--rifle magazine.
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Just catching up with this thread and I figured I would throw my 2 cents in here.
I am a Tactical Firearms Instructor and hold several LE and MIL Instructor certs.
1st- The ONLY pistols that use a "CLIP" are revolvers using half-moon or full-moon "clips" to hold casings without a rim, such as 45 acp in a revolver. As far as rifles are concerned, the ONLY rifles that use "clips" are the M1 Garand style that uses an "en bloc clip".
All ammunition devices utilizing a Magazine body; follower; spring; and base-plate are "MAGAZINES"...not "clips"...sorry, but this is one of those things that we spend a ridiculous amount of time beating out of peoples vocabulary.

It is a Magazine, or a Mag...like we tell the students on the range..."I'm willing to bet you don't have a single firearm that actually uses a CLIP."

Cheers,
Les

Ouch! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Les 8)
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

Arcticshooter
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Arcticshooter » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:12 pm

No problem Diggin,
Don't want to get under anyone's skin here, but this is just one of those vocabulary issues that Hollywood has screwed up.
Like I said, we are constantly correcting that one.

Reading one of the other reply's on here...I carry Cocked and Locked... this is the right way to carry a 1911.
Most DA or DAO autopistols are also good to carry with a round chambered.

Glocks are okay this way, as long as you remember a few things...
1st- that Safe-trigger is complete BS!!!!
There are COUNTLESS cases where someone has gotten careless with their trigger finger, or caught a little fabric in the trigger when they are putting it back in the holster, and BOOM!!, now they have a nice hole in their thigh and or calf.
If you carry a Glock and it's NOT in a holster...DO NOT carry this with a round chambered!!
If you carry a Glock in a proper holster...Clear the holster EVERY time you get ready to re-holster.
If you carry a Glock, make sure you have NO jacket drawstring toggles on that side of your person...they are really good at dropping inside the trigger guard and shooting you in the leg!!
Glocks are reliable, tough and accurate! My wife carries a Glock 37 in 40S&W. She shoots it very well and it works for her. However, she is well trained and understands the issues with running a Glock.
Best of Luck and Be safe!!
Les

Lwells
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Lwells » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:30 pm

Heres my 2 cents. Owned guns for over 50 years . Left ammo in magazines forever , left bullets in chamber forever, in guns that had been cleaned, and not cleaned , all different calibers, all different types, and in all those years I have only had a couple misfires and both were 22 caliber, shells were indented after ejection but ammo failed. I never used any other ammo but Remington and Winchester. My grandfather always had this story about him and grandma laying in the bed one morning and grandma woke him up and said, raise the window I'm going to kill me a Turkey, which she saw outside the window when she got up. She had an old 22 rifle in the corner that had been there for years and years and years, never been cleaned or fired in years but was setting there full of ammo. He said he raised the window and grandma pulled the trigger on that old 22 and he said he watched the bullet come out the barrel and went almost to the turkey and dropped on the ground. I just had to tell that but I'm sure it was Remington or Winchester for that was back in the 50's but not uncommon in them days for22 caliber for some reason. Anyway, My son has had several misfires on different calibers from buying all different kinds of ammo. He was told by a friend that is a gun dealer that there was a lot of bad ammo out there due to most of these ammo manufacturers trying to save money, cut cost to make money. Typical for today's world. He said he had never had a misfire on Winchester but a few on Remington. I guess the moral of this story is ,If you don't want to take a chance of a misfire then it would probably be a good idea to either load your own or buy from the old reliable manufactures that have stayed in business by producing a reliable product but if it you just want to practice then who cares if you get a misfire or the bullet doesn't make it out the barrel then , for your still alive.

scrambletown
Southern Airboat Member

Postby scrambletown » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:38 pm

oh great another one-
my thread was to (try) and warn people about a possible situation that could kill them.
not to get a couple of wise guy's to give me a lesson on clips and mags.
and yes les I have a m-1-grand. so I know the difference.
was going to bring that up with the first one butt was accused of being just as guilty as the one that started the wise comments to start with.
and another statement-
don't argue with a moron on a public form or in person--because the people reading the form or hear's you arguing won't know witch one is really the MORON..
so you two (clip or magazine away)..
read for life
philippians 4-13
john 3-16
deuteronomy 22-5
leviticus 20-13
luke 6-37

scrambletown
Southern Airboat Member

Postby scrambletown » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:45 pm

and by-the-way les I had a class 3 fire-arms licence for years..
read for life
philippians 4-13
john 3-16
deuteronomy 22-5
leviticus 20-13
luke 6-37

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:30 pm

Just thinking out loud here, but if you are going to practice its good to have a few known misfires or failure to fed rounds in the mix. That why its called PRACTICE. Get to know the old Tap, Rack, BANG drill as well as you know everything else about your weapon. Nothing about practice is wasted, except the lack of it. ;)

scrambletown
Southern Airboat Member

Postby scrambletown » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:47 pm

Whitebear wrote:Just thinking out loud here, but if you are going to practice its good to have a few known misfires or failure to fed rounds in the mix. That why its called PRACTICE. Get to know the old Tap, Rack, BANG drill as well as you know everything else about your weapon. Nothing about practice is wasted, except the lack of it. ;)

SCOTTY,
when one shell fired it didn't sound right, butt it cycled the next shell in the chamber.
me thinking it didn't sound right is when I took the barrel off and the first round was half way down the barrel.
thank goodness I had the experience to know.
this happened twice with the same gun, my carry weapon-a 380.
never had it happen with any-other gun.
I have left ammo in the clip for years in a 1911 and never had this happen.
a 9 m.m. same thing, no problem.
thats why I started this thread and 2 or 3 other's had the same problem. with a 380.
I no longer carry that gun now,I carry a snub 38. revolver now.
I have gone and bought a box each of 380 and 38 hornady ammo.
do you or any-body reading this have thoughts on hornady ammo?
read for life
philippians 4-13
john 3-16
deuteronomy 22-5
leviticus 20-13
luke 6-37

AirRanger
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby AirRanger » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:17 pm

When I had my LCP. 380 I used the Hornady Critical Defense and it was consistent ammo. Now with my Shield .40 I use the Critical Duty with no issues. I will however soon be selling the .40 because I want the same gun in 9mm.

Return to “Gun Talk”