concealed weapon

scrambletown
Southern Airboat Member

Re: concealed weapon

Postby scrambletown » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:22 pm

AirRanger wrote:When I had my LCP. 380 I used the Hornady Critical Defense and it was consistent ammo. Now with my Shield .40 I use the Critical Duty with no issues. I will however soon be selling the .40 because I want the same gun in 9mm.

that's what I bought, haven't shot any yet.
read for life
philippians 4-13
john 3-16
deuteronomy 22-5
leviticus 20-13
luke 6-37

Arcticshooter
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Arcticshooter » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:49 pm

Hey Scramble, I sincerely wasn't trying to offend you or anyone else. I subscribe to the same forum standards that Whitebear does...I NEVER post anything to bash anyone or attack them in any way. It is completely unproductive and ruins the learning environment...so if I have offended you, I apologize.

I am also an FFL/SOT and that's not really related topic at hand, just because anyone sells something, doesn't mean they know the technical aspects of that product. Some do and some don't. In my case, I have spent many tens of thousands connecting with and learning from several of the best Tactical Instructors in the nation. I'm all about teaching. We need as many properly trained people as we can get in this country, it makes it safer with regards to keeping the vermin in check and it makes it far easier on those of us not causing accidents, if we don't have to explain away the hysteria that invariably follows a negligent discharge.

Regarding Hornady defensive ammo, I would place it in equal standing with the other reputable manufacturers.
Remington-Peters; Federal; Hornady; Winchester; Cor-Bon,all make good ammo on the upper price end of their offerings. This is where they are not pinching pennies and they all tend to use the best of what is available at this level.
Buy the good stuff to protect yourself, and burn the cheap stuff for training. I think Whitebear mentioned that malfunctions are good during practice and I totally agree. Now that is Malf, not a squib load. For anyone wanting clarification of these terms.
Squib load is basically a low powder charge or a primer only charge that leaves the bullet stuck in the barrel.
Malfunctions will happen with auto pistols and should be practiced so you can get the weapon back in the fight quickly. They come in 3 varieties:
Fail to Feed; Stovepipe; Double Feed. These are good to experience while training so you can make the corrections a habit.

The revolver is an excellent choice for a trouble free carry pistol.
Les

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:42 pm

There are four types of malfunctions in a semi auto pistol for which the user must train to remedy.

Failure to fire
Failure to feed
Failure to extract
Failure to eject

Ammo Data:
Recent comprehensive assessment of .380 ammo in compact handgun found best terminal performance came from Hornady ammo using the XTP bullet, Federal Hydrashock and Fiocchi Extrema XTP. These offered reliable and effective expansion and penetration.

In regards to users to the Hornady Critical Duty, that projectile is not designed to be used in a compact handgun. It was designed to be shot from a 4 inch or longer barreled duty pistol to meet FBI barrier protocol. When shot from a compact the projectile does not achieve adequate velocity to provide reliable expansion in soft tissue. It over penetrates and fails to transfer energy acting like a FMJ more than a hollow or flex tip point.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:48 pm

This man does a fantastic study of the .380 ammo in the market place and will really convince many of you to change from what you currently are carrying in your 380 compact pistols.

Worth a few minutes of your time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNtPHYwcDts

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:06 am

scrambletown wrote:
Whitebear wrote:Just thinking out loud here, but if you are going to practice its good to have a few known misfires or failure to fed rounds in the mix. That why its called PRACTICE. Get to know the old Tap, Rack, BANG drill as well as you know everything else about your weapon. Nothing about practice is wasted, except the lack of it. ;)

SCOTTY,
when one shell fired it didn't sound right, butt it cycled the next shell in the chamber.
me thinking it didn't sound right is when I took the barrel off and the first round was half way down the barrel.
thank goodness I had the experience to know.
this happened twice with the same gun, my carry weapon-a 380.
never had it happen with any-other gun.
I have left ammo in the clip for years in a 1911 and never had this happen.
a 9 m.m. same thing, no problem.
thats why I started this thread and 2 or 3 other's had the same problem. with a 380.
I no longer carry that gun now,I carry a snub 38. revolver now.
I have gone and bought a box each of 380 and 38 hornady ammo.
do you or any-body reading this have thoughts on hornady ammo?

Scramble, while I have used a truck load of Hornaday components, I don't believe I have ever used any of their factory loaded ammo. As far as their components goes however, I don't remember ever having any issues at all with them. I would tend to believe it is or at least they will have a line of top shelf ammo. I carried a .380 AMT for a while CCW but never saw any ammo have a problem in it. Don't wanna be too quick to bad mouth the ammo or the gun as the culprit because forensic trouble shooting on line is a tough nut to crack. There could be external reasons for the rounds failure or for it to fire as a squib load which aren't related to the quality of the ammo as a whole. There is just no way to know for sure on a chat forum. Especially since the gun has been fired since the occurrence, there are no little tells left to examine. The real cause will likely remain a mystery.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

Hog Guts
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Hog Guts » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:27 am

I don't use Hornady in my carry weapons but it the only thing I use in my hunting rifles they all prefer Hornady and it's very consistent. A revolver does help with the ammo problem so long as the bullet clears the barrel ech time it actually fires. I would imagine where ammo is stored and for how long has an impact on its performance. We always painted the primers and between bullet and casing when diving to help prevent water intrusion I'm sure it's at least occasionally possible for moister from humid air / sweat etc could ingress into powder and cause an issue. Something I've never considered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swamper2
Southern Airboat Member

Postby swamper2 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:46 pm

I like the painting thing for sealing but why would one dive with a carry gun? :shock:
16ft alumitech/406sbc/2.38w/3-80in.R's

scrambletown
Southern Airboat Member

Postby scrambletown » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:28 pm

swamper2 wrote:I like the painting thing for sealing but why would one dive with a carry gun? :shock:

bang sticks
:lol: :lol:
read for life
philippians 4-13
john 3-16
deuteronomy 22-5
leviticus 20-13
luke 6-37

Hog Guts
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Hog Guts » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:24 pm

Most efficient way to kill things underwater. I used a .223 and a .38 I liked the .223 better on the end of my speargun shaft tip you can reach out and touch em

AirRanger
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby AirRanger » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:25 pm

swamper2 wrote:I like the painting thing for sealing but why would one dive with a carry gun? :shock:

Special ops.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:42 pm

In the water I used the AB Biller 5.56 (.223) with contact detonation, the rifle cartridge produces much more gas which is what effects the kill more than the projectile.

The expanding gas just blows things up

Hog Guts
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Hog Guts » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:14 pm

SWAMPHUNTER45 wrote:In the water I used the AB Biller 5.56 (.223) with contact detonation, the rifle cartridge produces much more gas which is what effects the kill more than the projectile.

The expanding gas just blows things up
bingo

swamper2
Southern Airboat Member

Postby swamper2 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:51 pm

good stuff guys. I'm up here in MI and did not think about those spear guns. I would carry one of them if I was in shark country for sure and bigger is better for this yankee
16ft alumitech/406sbc/2.38w/3-80in.R's

jimbo_jwc
Southern Airboat Member

Postby jimbo_jwc » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:31 pm

scrambletown wrote:
OTTER wrote:Scramble

I carry a 380 in my body armor strap under my arm concealed by shirt. Quality ammo Winchester PDX is what we use,, It will more than amply drop someone... Ruger has an awesome little gun and does SIG (238) looks like a mini 1911... the Glock 42 is a great gun too but plan on spending some cash for at LEAST 1000 rounds to loosen it up. Sig has a mini single stack 9mm as does Glock (43) if you can find it...if my 40 or M4 doesn't do it the 380 will and if that don't work ill stab the dude to death with a knife..... when its ON its ON !!! Im coming home to dinner....As for holsters = ALIEN GEAR is the most comfortable i have ever worn in 40 years...Plus they are USA made and stand by their product...

thanks OTTER,
butt my concern was my 380 miss-firing twice. and leaving the projectile half way down the barrel.
I thought leaving the ammo in the gun for long period of time was the problem-butt 2 others on here had the same problem.
one suggestion was cleaning the gun plus oiling it without taking the ammo out.
I have gone to a snub 38 special-that a police-officer carried as a back-up. he died and his wife gave me the gun.

You could examine and weigh your ammo for light /missing powder or bad crimps . Target shooting ammo and carried should be used separate .

I would like a under the arm holster thou. any thoughts would be appreciated. if that's the one you mentioned then I will look it up.
I am sure you heard of the deputy (and you might have been with f.h.p. at the time) in marion county that went to a house for a well being check- and the man shot thru a kitchen window and killed him. (BRYAN LUTZ) also known as bat-man.
so I pretty much know a 380 will take care of business-plus it won't go thru the suspect and kill innocent people.

Return to “Gun Talk”