concealed weapon

scrambletown
Southern Airboat Member

Re: concealed weapon

Post by scrambletown » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:31 pm

HuntingBigun wrote:WAYNE,
have carried 45's 357's 38's 22 mag. 25 auto.
this is the first gun that miss-fired, and it did it twice.
you helped me on the 3006 ammo so what do you recommend for 380?

I use Speer Gold Dot in all my carry guns as also carry 40 & 45 sometimes, my warthog 45 had weak spring got lite hits on the primer only one I can remember acting up, look a the primer see if good hit if it did it twice with different ammo :thumbleft:[/quote]
I can shot a box of ammo and no miss-fire.
let it sit in my clip for a few month's is when it happen's.
read for life
philippians 4-13
john 3-16
deuteronomy 22-5
leviticus 20-13
luke 6-37

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:08 pm

Ammo in the magazine for long periods can have several things happen to it, and none of it good.
In and out of airconditioning and heat "can" cause condensation internally and actually deactivate the primer. Also never spray lube the magazine or the gun with ammo in it. that has also proved it "can" deactivate primers and change the burn rate of powders. Thermal variations may or may not cause the priming compound to crystalize and flake out of the cup. The verdict is still out on it. Thermal cycles can also effect the temper of springs over the long term resulting in a light hammer fall. Outside of VERY long term, I only half believe this but some do. Light hammer fall is usually the result of bad manufacturing somewhere right from the start. had a .410 shotgun the hammer spring went out on and it was only months old. When I removed the spring it appeared to have never been heat treated because I could bend it like a pretzel real easy with my multi tool. Factory sent me a new one if I would first send them the old one. I did and they did and problem solved. Another worry can be ammo in long term carry that the flakes may get enough motion to become powderized or partially so. I think if this happens the dander is detonation instead of a burn when the hammer falls. I look at this with jaundiced eye but suspect there is enough reason to not carry the same ammo very long in anything.

Just my ramblings
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by glades cat » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:11 pm

Ruger 380LCP. Remington ammo. No problems yet.
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

scrambletown
Southern Airboat Member

Post by scrambletown » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:26 pm

Whitebear wrote:Ammo in the magazine for long periods can have several things happen to it, and none of it good.
In and out of airconditioning and heat "can" cause condensation internally and actually deactivate the primer. Also never spray lube the magazine or the gun with ammo in it. that has also proved it "can" deactivate primers and change the burn rate of powders. Thermal variations may or may not cause the priming compound to crystalize and flake out of the cup. The verdict is still out on it. Thermal cycles can also effect the temper of springs over the long term resulting in a light hammer fall. Outside of VERY long term, I only half believe this but some do. Light hammer fall is usually the result of bad manufacturing somewhere right from the start. had a .410 shotgun the hammer spring went out on and it was only months old. When I removed the spring it appeared to have never been heat treated because I could bend it like a pretzel real easy with my multi tool. Factory sent me a new one if I would first send them the old one. I did and they did and problem solved. Another worry can be ammo in long term carry that the flakes may get enough motion to become powderized or partially so. I think if this happens the dander is detonation instead of a burn when the hammer falls. I look at this with jaundiced eye but suspect there is enough reason to not carry the same ammo very long in anything.

Just my ramblings
SCOTTY,
the 380 is the only one I have had problems with leaving it in the clip for long period's of time.
no problem with 45-357-38-25.
and yes I oil straight on the bullet's. guess that might be the problem.
butt 2 other's on this thread has had the same trouble with their 380's.
going to try different ammo as suggested by other's.
read for life
philippians 4-13
john 3-16
deuteronomy 22-5
leviticus 20-13
luke 6-37

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:35 pm

Its aggravating and dangerous. Hope the ammo solves the problem. Good luck.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

getchasumairboats
Southern Airboat Member

Post by getchasumairboats » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:58 pm

I use Remington ultimate defense 102 gr 380 hollow points
http://WWW.USFTH.COM where the weak are killed and eaten !!!!!

pgs2845
Southern Airboat Member

Post by pgs2845 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:02 pm

The ammo in the picture sure performs well in ballistic gelatin. As far as the 380, I have 3, A Colt Mustang, a Bersa Thunder and a Sig P238. All perform excellent but my favorite carry gun is the Sig P938. Slightly larger than its cousin the P238 but more power. Its hard to stop a crack-head with either. But if they were hit with a 45 ACP you don't have to worry about them getting up and wanting to fight some more. But as far as the 380, I have picked a lot of dead people up that were on the receiving end. Some were quite large. Bullet placement is the key to performance. Just my thoughts.

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:18 pm

scrambletown wrote:
Whitebear wrote:Ammo in the magazine for long periods can have several things happen to it, and none of it good.

Just my ramblings
SCOTTY,
the 380 is the only one I have had problems with leaving it in the clip for long period's of time.
:slap:
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:22 pm

For the money ($400) it's tuff to top the Smith & Wesson Shield in 40 caliber. Ultra reliable and hides like a 380, but brings 8 rounds of serious stopping power.

scrambletown
Southern Airboat Member

Post by scrambletown » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:23 pm

pgs2845 wrote:The ammo in the picture sure performs well in ballistic gelatin. As far as the 380, I have 3, A Colt Mustang, a Bersa Thunder and a Sig P238. All perform excellent but my favorite carry gun is the Sig P938. Slightly larger than its cousin the P238 but more power. Its hard to stop a crack-head with either. But if they were hit with a 45 ACP you don't have to worry about them getting up and wanting to fight some more. But as far as the 380, I have picked a lot of dead people up that were on the receiving end. Some were quite large. Bullet placement is the key to performance. Just my thoughts.
we had a deputy killed with a 380 a few years back in marion county.
a real idiot shot thru a window hit him in the neck.
another deputy on the scene cleaned his clock with a 12 gage.
read for life
philippians 4-13
john 3-16
deuteronomy 22-5
leviticus 20-13
luke 6-37

scrambletown
Southern Airboat Member

Post by scrambletown » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:42 pm

think I'L start carrying 3 extra CLIPS with me.
that 380 eats CLIPS bad.
maybee even 4 extra CLIPS.
spare CLIPS are a must.
read for life
philippians 4-13
john 3-16
deuteronomy 22-5
leviticus 20-13
luke 6-37

OTTER
Southern Airboat Member

Post by OTTER » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:16 pm

Scramble

I carry a 380 in my body armor strap under my arm concealed by shirt. Quality ammo Winchester PDX is what we use,, It will more than amply drop someone... Ruger has an awesome little gun and does SIG (238) looks like a mini 1911... the Glock 42 is a great gun too but plan on spending some cash for at LEAST 1000 rounds to loosen it up. Sig has a mini single stack 9mm as does Glock (43) if you can find it...if my 40 or M4 doesn't do it the 380 will and if that don't work ill stab the dude to death with a knife..... when its ON its ON !!! Im coming home to dinner....As for holsters = ALIEN GEAR is the most comfortable i have ever worn in 40 years...Plus they are USA made and stand by their product...

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:44 pm

Has anyone on here bought one of the little Bond Arms derringers? They come in several calibers including .410 shotgun. Two rounds is usually enough for personal protection, and they're a really compact little package. I see an ad for them every month in the NRA magazine, and they're made in Texas.
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

scrambletown
Southern Airboat Member

Post by scrambletown » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:33 am

OTTER wrote:Scramble

I carry a 380 in my body armor strap under my arm concealed by shirt. Quality ammo Winchester PDX is what we use,, It will more than amply drop someone... Ruger has an awesome little gun and does SIG (238) looks like a mini 1911... the Glock 42 is a great gun too but plan on spending some cash for at LEAST 1000 rounds to loosen it up. Sig has a mini single stack 9mm as does Glock (43) if you can find it...if my 40 or M4 doesn't do it the 380 will and if that don't work ill stab the dude to death with a knife..... when its ON its ON !!! Im coming home to dinner....As for holsters = ALIEN GEAR is the most comfortable i have ever worn in 40 years...Plus they are USA made and stand by their product...
thanks OTTER,
butt my concern was my 380 miss-firing twice. and leaving the projectile half way down the barrel.
I thought leaving the ammo in the gun for long period of time was the problem-butt 2 others on here had the same problem.
one suggestion was cleaning the gun plus oiling it without taking the ammo out.
I have gone to a snub 38 special-that a police-officer carried as a back-up. he died and his wife gave me the gun.
I would like a under the arm holster thou. any thoughts would be appreciated. if that's the one you mentioned then I will look it up.
I am sure you heard of the deputy (and you might have been with f.h.p. at the time) in marion county that went to a house for a well being check- and the man shot thru a kitchen window and killed him. (BRYAN LUTZ) also known as bat-man.
so I pretty much know a 380 will take care of business-plus it won't go thru the suspect and kill innocent people.
Last edited by scrambletown on Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
read for life
philippians 4-13
john 3-16
deuteronomy 22-5
leviticus 20-13
luke 6-37

scrambletown
Southern Airboat Member

Post by scrambletown » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:40 am

Olf Art wrote:Has anyone on here bought one of the little Bond Arms derringers? They come in several calibers including .410 shotgun. Two rounds is usually enough for personal protection, and they're a really compact little package. I see an ad for them every month in the NRA magazine, and they're made in Texas.
OLF,
I carried a 22 mag 4 shot derringer for many years just not too good of a gun in my opinion. for self-defense.
its only good to take and stick it in his gut and pull the trigger.
read for life
philippians 4-13
john 3-16
deuteronomy 22-5
leviticus 20-13
luke 6-37

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:38 am

scrambletown wrote:also intellectual if you can put down the crack-pipe and you obviously have a computer-- look up pistol clip--rifle magazine.
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
How strange... I wonder why they say this since it's a pistol.

"The RUGER® LCP® is a compact, single strike double action, magazine-fed,
recoil-operated pistol chambered for the 380 Auto cartridge. The LCP®
incorporates a different “link-less” design in the barrel locking/unlocking system
than earlier Ruger P-Series pistols, and features a streamlined slide, and glass
reinforced nylon and aluminum subframe grip frame."

I wonder why they don't offer any extended clips for their pistols; only extended magazines.

" LCP® 7-Round Extended Magazine
Item # 90405"

Help me out, here, Scrambled. Somebody's wrong. Is it you or Ruger? Funny how S&W and Sig Sauer call them magazines as well. Why is that?
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

Hog Guts
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Hog Guts » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:43 am

Do you keep a round in the chamber or are you racking one prior to shooting it the first time after it's been in the clip by not the chamber for some time?

When I first started carrying about 7 years ago I had a glock 40 and I did not keep a round in the chamber because there was no safety on the weapon and that made me uncomfortable having it shoved in my pants sometimes with holster sometimes without, sometimes in front sometimes in rear. I've since came to my senses and have a much more compact comfortable gun that's got a safety, is smaller and comfortable to carry all the time, is more accurate and is carried at 4 o'clock in a this holster now with belt clip. Having to rack a bullet into chamber in time of need is a bad idea for several reasons so if anyone is doing that you really shouldn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

onearmedbandit
Southern Airboat Member

Post by onearmedbandit » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:44 am

As someone who reloads a round in the barrel after it has been fired I would look at 3 things.
1. Very lot of lead build up in the barrel and a light load.
2. Light load and cheap powder or bad powder.
3. Or not enough crimp.
I shot in S.A.S.S (Single action shooting society) for years and seen several 6 shooters blown to pieces because of lite loads to keep recoil down. One of the worst was a 1 generation colt .45 a guy just brought for $3500.00 and was loading bullets with only 3 grains of powder which did not create enough pressure to dislodge the bullet from the cartridge thus causing the cartridge to explode in the cylinder it took off the top 3 cylinders and blackstrap the gun was a total lost except for some nice stag horn grips and thank God nobody was hurt.
My guess would be since ammo has been at such shortage every Tom, Dick,and Harry out there cutting corners is to blame.
If you buy reloads make sure the reloader is certified to sell reloads just because their in a nice package (Gun shows ) don't make them good just cheap and possibly dangerous.
I've loaded over 30000 .45 long colts and have never had a failure. Every bullet must be gaged, weighed and visual inspection and I would never sell 1 bullet. So never use but the best for your concealed carry. JMHO :salute: :old_glory:

Hog Guts
Southern Airboat Member

concealed weapon

Post by Hog Guts » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:52 am

Other thing is keep it cleaned / maintained. Lint and crap can get to where it prevents full strike especially on hammer models like my sig P938 need to keep them clean or could be unfortunate.

Last edited by Hog Guts on Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:55 am

For a second I thought maybe I missed something but, nope; Glock calls them magazines, too.

Scarecrow
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Scarecrow » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:03 am

I call them a bullet holder thing. :slap: :stirpot: :rebel:

onearmedbandit
Southern Airboat Member

Post by onearmedbandit » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:12 am

I just called 1-800-AskDigginFool and the internet answered and put me on hold WTF ! :stirpot:

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:15 am

It's only because I don't want Scrambled to make an idiot of himself. I would never sheet Scrambled; he's my favorite turd!

scrambletown
Southern Airboat Member

Post by scrambletown » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:41 am

Hog Guts wrote:Do you keep a round in the chamber or are you racking one prior to shooting it the first time after it's been in the clip by not the chamber for some time?

When I first started carrying about 7 years ago I had a glock 40 and I did not keep a round in the chamber because there was no safety on the weapon and that made me uncomfortable having it shoved in my pants sometimes with holster sometimes without, sometimes in front sometimes in rear. I've since came to my senses and have a much more compact comfortable gun that's got a safety, is smaller and comfortable to carry all the time, is more accurate and is carried at 4 o'clock in a this holster now with belt clip. Having to rack a bullet into chamber in time of need is a bad idea for several reasons so if anyone is doing that you really shouldn't.

don't carry a hot gun, to me thats just asking for trouble.
read for life
philippians 4-13
john 3-16
deuteronomy 22-5
leviticus 20-13
luke 6-37

scrambletown
Southern Airboat Member

Post by scrambletown » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:43 am

onearmedbandit wrote:As someone who reloads a round in the barrel after it has been fired I would look at 3 things.
1. Very lot of lead build up in the barrel and a light load.
2. Light load and cheap powder or bad powder.
3. Or not enough crimp.
I shot in S.A.S.S (Single action shooting society) for years and seen several 6 shooters blown to pieces because of lite loads to keep recoil down. One of the worst was a 1 generation colt .45 a guy just brought for $3500.00 and was loading bullets with only 3 grains of powder which did not create enough pressure to dislodge the bullet from the cartridge thus causing the cartridge to explode in the cylinder it took off the top 3 cylinders and blackstrap the gun was a total lost except for some nice stag horn grips and thank God nobody was hurt.
My guess would be since ammo has been at such shortage every Tom, Dick,and Harry out there cutting corners is to blame.
If you buy reloads make sure the reloader is certified to sell reloads just because their in a nice package (Gun shows ) don't make them good just cheap and possibly dangerous.
I've loaded over 30000 .45 long colts and have never had a failure. Every bullet must be gaged, weighed and visual inspection and I would never sell 1 bullet. So never use but the best for your concealed carry. JMHO :salute: :old_glory:
I reload my shot shells and 45's 3006's the 380 no.
unless I reload the shell I will not shoot it.
read for life
philippians 4-13
john 3-16
deuteronomy 22-5
leviticus 20-13
luke 6-37

Return to “Gun Talk”