Changing an AR15 from Gas to Piston

HVGator
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Changing an AR15 from Gas to Piston

Postby HVGator » Thu May 19, 2016 3:31 pm

Several have asked over the last year about piston conversion kits for ARs. Core Rifles (core15rifles.com) now has the conversion kits on sale for $269.99.

The kit comes with an adjustable piston gas block, piston bolt carrier, piston rod in carbine, mid, or rifle length, rod bushing, and rod spring. You use your existing bolt (remove gas rings), cam pin, firing pin, and firing pin retaining pin. This kit will fit any barrel with .75" diameter at the gas hole, in carbine, mid-length, or rifle length gas systems.

This is a good, quality piston kit and fairly easy to install. A hammer and punch is needed to remove an A2 Front Sight Gas Block, or an allen key to remove a low profile or rail height gas block. The new Piston gas block slides on the barrel and is tightened with an allen key.

If you'd like to keep your current gas system functional, you could build an entire AR upper using this kit for a separate Piston upper assy. Hope this helps those whose have expressed interest.
13 ft Diamondback, GSO-480, 4 blade Q, gas tank too small, not enough cash to fill it.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Changing an AR15 from Gas to Piston

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Thu May 19, 2016 10:37 pm

CORE does not make a piston system, they purchase the Adams Arms systems and have their logo stamped on them.

There is more than one Adams system option fyi from the original kits with adjustable rods to the newer size specific with fixed rods and then newer yet with more gas settings.

My advice is avoid the early kits with the threaded adjustable one size fits all rods they were a pain in the dick to set up.

Jason Adams is a genius and even after he sold his company off they the new leadership team are still doing great things.

VooDo Innovations is the new AA leadership think tank and they "bring it!"

http://www.voodooinnovations.com/vdi-glock

jimbo_jwc
Southern Airboat Member

Postby jimbo_jwc » Fri May 20, 2016 12:18 am

Just get a SU16 gas piston ak on top with ar rotary bolt lock up made by Keltec eats all ammo and does not get to dirty to foul action .

jimbo_jwc
Southern Airboat Member

Postby jimbo_jwc » Fri May 20, 2016 12:34 am

Here is how they combined the best of both .
Attachments
keltecsu16.jpg
half ar n ak

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Fri May 20, 2016 7:05 am

Jimbo,

George Kelgren is a brilliant firearms designer but for some reason his company has metallurgy issues that hold them back at times.
He was the guy who designed the Grendal back in the 1980's. The Ruger LCP 380 is clearly a close copy of his design the KelTec P32 and P3AT. I have a PLR16 and it is a wild little piece.

I really like the Adams guns for the AR15 platform it is the same concept. Gas to piston with a rod pushing the bolt back.

Return to “Gun Talk”