New Rule Uses Social Security Records to Block Second Amendm

goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

New Rule Uses Social Security Records to Block Second Amendm

Postby goldhunter_2 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:59 pm

Have ya'll read anything about this before? :scratch: :dontknow: :scratch:

New Rule Uses Social Security Records to Block Second Amendment Rights
https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/new-rule-uses-social-security-records-to-block-second-amendment-rights/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=20161230_FridayDigest_1012&utm_campaign=/blog/new-rule-uses-social-security-records-to-block-second-amendment-rights/

New Rule Uses Social Security Records to Block Second Amendment Rights
by Max Slowik on December 27, 2016

Related Tags: Buzz, News, NRA, R2KBA

The Social Security Administration is using beneficiary records to restrict gun ownership. (Photo: SSA/Facebook)

The Social Security Administration, or SSA, issued a new rule that will block certain Social Security beneficiaries from buying guns. The new policy will classify these beneficiaries as “mental defectives” receiving disability insurance or Supplemental Security Income, or SSI, benefits. This new policy is in-line with the White House’s promise to deliver new gun control policies through executive action.

The rule was proposed back in May of this year and will take effect on Jan. 18, 2017. The controversial new policy is part of the White House’s Executive Actions to Reduce Gun Violence and Make Our Communities Safer plan.

“On Monday, Barack Obama’s SSA issued the final version of a rule that will doom tens of thousands of law-abiding (and vulnerable) disability insurance and SSI recipients to a loss of Second Amendment rights under the guise of re-characterizing them as ‘mental defectives,'” explains the NRA-ILA. “The SSA, for the first time in its history, will be coopted into the federal government’s gun control apparatus, effectively requiring Social Security applicants to weigh their need for benefits against their fundamental rights when applying for assistance based on mental health problems.”

“The Social Security rule is the final version of a proposal that we reported on earlier this year,” reads the statement. “Public outcry against the proposed rule was fierce, and the comment period drew over 91,000 responses, the vast majority of them opposing the plan.”

“The NRA itself submitted detailed comments, taking the proposed rule to task for its many legal problems, its lack of empirical support, and the way it would politicize the SSA’s functions and stigmatize its beneficiaries.”

The NRA-ILA adds that policymakers made no attempt to answer any of their legal questions surrounding the sweeping new policy. The SSA even acknowledged that the new policy was not tied to reducing violence or crime.

See Also: Social Security Admin Releases New Rule, 75,000 Beneficiaries May Lose Gun Rights

“We are not attempting to imply a connection between mental illness and a propensity for violence, particularly gun violence,” said the SSA. “Rather, we are complying with our obligations under the NIAA, which require us to provide information from our records when an individual falls within one of the categories identified in [the law].”

The NRA-ILA described the change as “arbitrary and capricious” and they’re not alone coming out against the policy. The National Association for Gun Rights, or NAGR, came out hard against the new rule.

“No excuse justifies stripping law-abiding Americans’ Second Amendment rights without due process and trial,” said NAGR president Dudley Brown. “The procedures set forth by the Social Security Administration are a gross violation of the Constitutional right to due process and separation of powers.”

“First they came for the gun rights of perfectly healthy military veterans who have served honorably. Now they’re coming for the rights of sound and healthy senior citizens and others least able to fight back against oppressive Federal bureaucrats” said Brown. “Congress and President Trump must put a stop to it.”

“[Trump] can reverse this anti-gun executive action immediately upon taking office on January 20.”

Until this policy is repealed or corrected, beneficiaries affected by the new rule will have to petition to have their rights restored before they can continue to exercise their Second Amendment rights. How much this process will cost beneficiaries is not known. And what may be a “reasonable” expense to the SSA may be prohibitive for the people affected by this rule.

Support our future , get a kid involved in the outdoors!!

:rebel:

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: New Rule Uses Social Security Records to Block Second Am

Postby glades cat » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:10 pm

:shock: man, if that don't curdle your milk.... :evil:
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby goldhunter_2 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:34 pm

yep particularly this line: new policy will classify these beneficiaries as “mental defectives”

AirRanger
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby AirRanger » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:23 pm

Sounds like Trump will have to ditch that as well. :proud:

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Olf Art » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:53 pm

A new Trump appointed AG and a couple of new Supreme Court justices should be able to clean up that mess in no time. Interesting that it's supposed to take effect
two days before Trumps inauguration, doncha think? I ain't skeered. :)
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby goldhunter_2 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:48 pm

Olf Art wrote: I ain't skeered. :)

well that sounds like a man with a fully stocked up armory :D and it just said you can't "buy" a gun you can still build them :toothy7:

The article says the bill was was proposed back in May I think , hopefully Trump cleans up ll this ridicules Obama **** trying to knock away at gun rights in every little way

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:31 am

goldhunter_2 wrote:yep particularly this line: new policy will classify these beneficiaries as “mental defectives”
When considering all those involved with the creation and enforcement

of such a policy/rule, it would seem that the victimized beneficiaries are

not the ones to which the ' mentally defective ' label should be applied. :banghead:
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby akblackdawg » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:19 pm

I think Trump will surprise a few of you Trump lovers, Trump has said that he is in favor of restrictions to keep guns out of the hands of those who should not have him, closing gun show loopholes, etc. Have a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby goldhunter_2 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:29 pm

so Bud being such a good Dem and with your advanced years have you turned in your guns yet?

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby akblackdawg » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:34 pm

goldhunter_2 wrote:so Bud being such a good Dem and with your advanced years have you turned in your guns yet?

Why would you think that, I also hunt, etc and keep a gun near the door just in case. Just a warning not to be surprised if Trump has a more moderate viewpoint and actions concerning our firearms.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby goldhunter_2 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:23 pm

I also hunt, etc and keep a gun near the door just in case
So by your hero Obama's point of view YOU are either
1) hunting the wrong thing and should not be able to buy guns
Or
2) qualify in your advanced years as "mentally defective" and should not be able to buy guns

Just a warning not to be surprised if Trump has a more moderate viewpoint and actions concerning our firearms.

Look you I never agree it seems and that's fine to have different opinions but you sound a bit hypocritical keeping your guns and wanting to prevent others for having guns IMHO I honestly don't know what Trump will do or will not do, but what I am sure of is that anything he does is better there the alternative of Hillary

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby akblackdawg » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:10 pm

goldhunter_2 wrote: I also hunt, etc and keep a gun near the door just in case
So by your hero Obama's point of view YOU are either
1) hunting the wrong thing and should not be able to buy guns
Or
2) qualify in your advanced years as "mentally defective" and should not be able to buy guns

Just a warning not to be surprised if Trump has a more moderate viewpoint and actions concerning our firearms.

Look you I never agree it seems and that's fine to have different opinions but you sound a bit hypocritical keeping your guns and wanting to prevent others for having guns IMHO I honestly don't know what Trump will do or will not do, but what I am sure of is that anything he does is better there the alternative of Hillary

tell me or show me how many guns Obama took from people in his 8 years. Hillary I think was going to go after the gun show loophole. I really can't figure out why the right would oppose that, any crazy guy or drug dealer can just walk in with cash and buy, no questions. some of the mass shootings we have had indicated that is where the guns came from. Here in Alaska, felons can own guns, both long and short, and even CC 10 years after completing sentence for their felony. Actually, I would like to see that type of law nationwide. Bet that's a shocker for you. To me, the gun discussion isn't about politics, its about guns and common sense laws to protect people. America will never come after your guns, there are far too many of them in circulation, I don't think they can get them all. I guess there was a attempt during Katrina that cops tried to get all the guns in a specific area, don't know enough about that to comment, but believe it was a bad idea, some old lady got shot I think. Our second amendment will not be overthrown by anybody, but it may and should get tightened up a little bit. Something really needs to be done to keep crazy people from buying guns. Not talking about you, but just certifiably crazies.

goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby goldhunter_2 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:41 pm

hahaha well at least I am just a normal crazy and not one of those certifiable crazy:lol:

Guns have never been the problem but they are what the left wing politicians taking or blocking legal citizens form guns never stops the problems and never will. If you want to take down the real criminals , drug dealers etc then ya'll left wing will be doing something and maybe that would make a difference.

Happy new year to all

Lwells
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Lwells » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:13 pm

I think what is being overlooked here is that law biding gun owners are NOT the ones killing people nor are they going or trying to go around the laws to own or buy guns. We can never make laws that will keep guns out of the hands of those who get guns to kill innocent people for they have no regard for laws nor will they follow them. They get their guns illegally, or steal their guns, or get them thru underground sources so no laws will ever stop them and the sooner we all grow up and realize this the better. I believe if Trump follows thru with cracking down on gangs, drug dealers and seeing to it that these people get sentences that keeps them where they belong so that the others take notice and stop. When our law enforcement could stop you and ask you to step out of the car and you did and then ran and got your ass shot there wasn't near the problems we have today. There is no respect today because people have managed to make everything an issue and have made our younger generation believe that they can do anything they want to and get by with it with no punishment for wrong doings. I would be willing to bet that if everyone would carry a weapon concealed, not so it can be seen that after a few shootings where the thieves or whatever got shot back at that it wouldn't be long till we could leave our doors unlocked and get back to the way this country use to be.

goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby goldhunter_2 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:46 pm

Lwells wrote:I think what is being overlooked here is that law biding gun owners are NOT the ones killing people nor are they going or trying to go around the laws to own or buy guns. We can never make laws that will keep guns out of the hands of those who get guns to kill innocent people for they have no regard for laws nor will they follow them. They get their guns illegally, or steal their guns, or get them thru underground sources so no laws will ever stop them and the sooner we all grow up and realize this the better. I believe if Trump follows thru with cracking down on gangs, drug dealers and seeing to it that these people get sentences that keeps them where they belong so that the others take notice and stop. When our law enforcement could stop you and ask you to step out of the car and you did and then ran and got your ass shot there wasn't near the problems we have today. There is no respect today because people have managed to make everything an issue and have made our younger generation believe that they can do anything they want to and get by with it with no punishment for wrong doings. I would be willing to bet that if everyone would carry a weapon concealed, not so it can be seen that after a few shootings where the thieves or whatever got shot back at that it wouldn't be long till we could leave our doors unlocked and get back to the way this country use to be.

I agree , you put it in much better wording then I could articulate but the same idea

CHAKA
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CHAKA » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:08 pm

This puts all the soldiers that were wounded or injured during the war who have been discharged that are still being treated for their PTSD in this group. The disabled soldier's rights are going to be taking away because the soldiers are now all " Mentally Defective " because some Loser Democrate says so. I am a Right wing Republican and I was also, injured in Iraq during the war. I am sick of the Democrates and their freak show ... Let's send them to war. I am tired of footing the bill for these lazy under achievers and bum's. Go get a job, go to war, pay taxes and shut up you cry babies !
Member: A.P.E. Agency to Prevent Evil. Member: Wounded Warrior Alumni Iraq War. Where ever you go... You will always be there... and Death will always be your silent companion

richard roth
Southern Airboat Member

Re: New Rule Uses Social Security Records to Block Second Amendm

Postby richard roth » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:37 am

So I love to hunt and the way I read this is that I am mentally defective. On who's account am I mentally defective What are they afraid of I might shoot a criminal who shoots at me. This is a crock of sh-t if you ask me. I also like to know how they can claim I am mentally defective if I don't have a back ground or history of mental disorder. If I did have this then I could understand it. Look at that kid who shot those people in Ft Lauderdale air port. He was discharged from the military for having mental problems. He should not have been allowed to have a gun. But I am not going to get my SS benefit because I own a gun. They can kiss my but.

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Re: New Rule Uses Social Security Records to Block Second Amendm

Postby Deano » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:27 pm

The only thing left to bury this nonsense now, is Trump's signature. :cheers:

Think he'll sign it ? :lol: :lol:

https://congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-joint-resolution/40/

"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Return to “Gun Talk”