Build my own belt drive???

Dalton S.
Southern Airboat Member

Build my own belt drive???

Postby Dalton S. » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:43 am

Currently my boat has a buick 231ci v6. It's around 190-200hp. I'm turning a 72" 4 blade warp drive and on the water it turns around 2750-2875rpms. I was thinking about cutting it down to a 70" and pitch it more. I also thought about building my own mini belt drive. Kinda like a water walker blue lighting belt drive. As it is the boat gets out of the water faster and seems the have more push for sure. However, there's always room to improve. If anyone has any ideas on how I could build this please let me know. I don't have $2k to spend on a box that's isn't even out anymore nor $1k to spend on a new prop. Not a lot of room either. Maybe in a couple of weeks y'all can see it at franklin at the ride.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: Build my own belt drive???

Postby scottyroll » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:21 am

I think if it were easy or even economical we would see more "one off" belt drives. But that's just not the case. I'm sure people have tried everything from a chain to 10 v-belts but they just don't seem to work like the established belt manufactures products...and even some of them have had difficulties. If you could make it work it would probably be a great choice for your small setup. I would write down what you see in the pictures and call some fab shops and explain to them what you are wanting to do. I once had a company over seas send me a sample of something and they didn't charge me an arm and a leg because it was for a "quality check". The pieces are easily made - a big part of doing something like this is finding somebody with the capacity and the know how, to help you.
Last edited by scottyroll on Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:Scotty-Roll:
FLAwless

14ft Laser/6.0 LQ4/2.37 Rotator/3 Blade "K"

Dalton S.
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Dalton S. » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:50 am

I do have a good friend with a machine shop. (Cowboy Mike)
Maybe a great project

radtech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby radtech » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:40 am

We'd be glad to see ya there, Dalton. Sounds like it's gonna be a great get-together if everyone makes it and the weather cooperates. Good luck with the mod idea

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:18 pm

Need a bearing on BOTH sides of the bottom pulley.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

todd glover
Southern Airboat Member

Postby todd glover » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:48 pm

Why would you need bearings on the crankshaft pulley do you mean tapered bearing on the top pulley maybe I read it wrong

goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby goldhunter_2 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:12 pm

using a outer bearing would prevent undue stress on the crank bearings

Support our future , get a kid involved in the outdoors!!

:rebel:

Cowboy Rock
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby Cowboy Rock » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:04 pm

Hey Dalton,,,

I am building one for my sbc,,, I have talked to Mike about it and he agrees with me, so I felt better about it,,,

The specs are still in my head, so I will talk to you about it in Franklin,,,

Alanta Waterjet is going to fab the Aluminum plate, using 3/4,,,

I still have my old wood prop that I will install on it first just to test with the cage off,,,

I have told Radtech about it also,,,

I believe it will work, I just didnt want to put it out on here because of all the Naysayers,,,

But if it dont work, it is my time and dollar that was wasted,,,

Good luck,,,

Slide safe my friends,,,

Cowboy r
Wet Dreams Too,,,

14 ft. Panther,,, 370ci SBC, 72 in Whirlwind Whispertip, Line-X-350 X bottom,,,

"Full bloodied Dog hunting man"

Dry Branch, Ga.

Thats how I roll,,,

gso480jr
Southern Airboat Member

Postby gso480jr » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:29 pm

[quote="Cowboy Rock"]Hey Dalton,,,

I am building one for my sbc,,, I have talked to Mike about it and he agrees with me, so I felt better about it,,,

The specs are still in my head, so I will talk to you about it in Franklin,,,

Alanta Waterjet is going to fab the Aluminum plate, using 3/4,,,

I still have my old wood prop that I will install on it first just to test with the cage off,,,

I have told Radtech about it also,,,

I believe it will work, I just didnt want to put it out on here because of all the Naysayers,,,

But if it dont work, it is my time and dollar that was wasted,,,

Cowboy Mike, go for it, somebody built the very first one, right?

todd glover
Southern Airboat Member

Postby todd glover » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:47 pm

Goldhunterit looks like a gilmer belt there shouldn't been any side load on the crank post more pics looks awesome

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:29 pm

I thought the Gilmer type belts only reduced side loads when compared to a V-belt, not eliminate it. I also had the impression babit bearings in the engine were designed for radial loads like the spline pilot shaft of a transmission, hence my comment about needing a bearing on both sides of the lower pully. Not being argumentative, trying to help.

Maybe I'll learn something here. Sure don't know it all. Always willing to learn.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

happy harold
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby happy harold » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:07 am

glad to see new ideas at work. I tried one 35 years ago with v belts. didn't get the bugs out. but good luck and you are right about some of the opinions on here.

Sniper
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Sniper » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:58 am

Per my understanding from Waterthunder there is a problem with drives tearing up Crank bearings if you put a side load on them that why all the belt drive have roller bearings in the to take that load off the crank
Sniper You can run but why die tired, If you heard my shot you were not the target
DOI Airboat Instructor

Dalton S.
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Dalton S. » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:02 pm

I called water thunder a while back and asked about them. I was told that they stoped making them because not enough were sold, and the crank bearing issue. I was also told that when they moved that they can't find anyone to build them cheep enough. It's costing them more to make them then the selling price. I was told that they are coming back out with them and had hoped to have them out already with a crank bearing on the out side to reduce stress and wear on the crank bearings. But if they come out soon like I said earlyer I don't have $1500+ to spend. The photos I added was one of my boat an the other was the blue lighting drive.
Attachments
image.jpg

Dalton S.
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Dalton S. » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:07 pm

Some pics. Of my boat
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

todd glover
Southern Airboat Member

Postby todd glover » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:00 pm

Nice boat as for bearing I've run a blower on a car with a external support from the crank to the blower snout but I didn't have a prop in the way not sure what your calling a lower bearing would like to see a photo looking at you belt drive I would guess you have 500-600 in aluminum even before machine work did you buy cogs or machine them

Cowboy Rock
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby Cowboy Rock » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:00 am

Actually a block of 7075, 1"x 20" x 20" was not that much,,, I have had it for a while and I bought it in a package deal with alot of other junk, so I dont know exactly what it would cost alone,,, I picked it up at a salvage yard,,,

I was going to drill all of the holes that was needed, and send it to Atlanta Waterjet and they were going to cut out the pattern,,, Now their tech is saying that they will cut their 3/4 plate, to my specs, and all it have to do is come pick it up,,,

I have not decoded on that yet,,, Sounds too sweet to be true,,,

From what I have figgered out so far in parts, it's around 500 dollars,,,

Plus what Mike charges to make me 2 Aluminum pulley brackets,,,

So we will see,,,

Like I said it is mostly still in my head,,,

I just like to build things, I just dont have much time,,,

I almost forgot the BELT,,, Not sure what it will cost, but they are PROUD of them,,, lol

Slide safe my friends,,,

Cowboy r
Wet Dreams Too,,,

14 ft. Panther,,, 370ci SBC, 72 in Whirlwind Whispertip, Line-X-350 X bottom,,,

"Full bloodied Dog hunting man"

Dry Branch, Ga.

Thats how I roll,,,

metaldan13
Southern Airboat Member

Postby metaldan13 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:30 pm

Always thought about it in the 80's when I had my drag boat 455 jet drive on the lake. Drop the engine down to the floor and build a tower to mount the prop. Use a supercharger belt to run it. Weight is down low now and less to tip over. Like building a windmill but driven by engine. Has anyone tried this???????

metaldan13
Southern Airboat Member

Postby metaldan13 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:33 pm

todd glover wrote:Nice boat as for bearing I've run a blower on a car with a external support from the crank to the blower snout but I didn't have a prop in the way not sure what your calling a lower bearing would like to see a photo looking at you belt drive I would guess you have 500-600 in aluminum even before machine work did you buy cogs or machine them

Found me a piece of aluminum underneath that there FedEx truck . lol

metaldan13
Southern Airboat Member

Postby metaldan13 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:34 pm

todd glover wrote:Nice boat as for bearing I've run a blower on a car with a external support from the crank to the blower snout but I didn't have a prop in the way not sure what your calling a lower bearing would like to see a photo looking at you belt drive I would guess you have 500-600 in aluminum even before machine work did you buy cogs or machine them

Found me a piece of aluminum underneath that there FedEx truck . lol

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:19 pm

metaldan13 wrote:Always thought about it in the 80's when I had my drag boat 455 jet drive on the lake. Drop the engine down to the floor and build a tower to mount the prop. Use a supercharger belt to run it. Weight is down low now and less to tip over. Like building a windmill but driven by engine. Has anyone tried this???????
Answer is Yes, it has been and is currently being done.
As far as I know, Franklin built the first ones many years ago.
Century is currently the only one that I am aware that makes them.

http://centurydrivesystemsinc.com/ch3_longbelt.htm
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

BenBad
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby BenBad » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:30 pm

Here is some photos of my belt drive. We have a lot of these up here in NE. Fred Moore builds them up here. The key to keeping from wearing out the engine bearings is the belt is run loose enough to have about a 1/2 inch of movement in the end of the prop when the belt is warmed up. One of my friends has been running his for around 12 years and has not damaged his engine.

metaldan13
Southern Airboat Member

Postby metaldan13 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:35 am

[quote="BenBad"]Here is some photos of my belt drive. We have a lot of these up here in NE. Fred Moore builds them up here. The key to keeping from wearing out the engine bearings is the belt is run loose enough to have about a 1/2 inch of movement in the end of the prop when the belt is warmed up. One of my friends has been running his for around 12 years
Thanks really cool to see.maybe have a few ideas for it.

Return to “Georgia Airboaters”