SUNK MY BOAT!!!!

Dalton S.
Southern Airboat Member

SUNK MY BOAT!!!!

Postby Dalton S. » Tue May 13, 2014 12:42 pm

On Mother's Day after a great after noon I riding I was at the dock and turned hard at idle and gave it gas. Whoops bad idea because with in 10 seconds I was in the water swimming for my dad's boat watching mine go down. We got it out and dried out and motor running again. Accidents do happen and things can be fixed.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Re: SUNK MY BOAT!!!!

Postby Deano » Tue May 13, 2014 12:53 pm

It ain't nothing but a thing. :D

On the brighter side, you are a young man and got that crap out of the way early. :wink:

It's nice to get him right back up and running to !! 8) Congrats. :salute:
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

radtech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby radtech » Tue May 13, 2014 2:03 pm

Glad you got it back up and running. It'll sure make ya sick to see it happen, though.

:)
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby :) » Tue May 13, 2014 4:26 pm

10 seconds goes by fast. Once the back dips, it's all over but the crying. Lol
14 ft Combee. 4 seater, BPE 383 sb chevy, 2.09 stinger, 3 blade ww stump puller.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Bob in Canada
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Bob in Canada » Tue May 13, 2014 4:44 pm

Now that you got that out of your system you should be good for a while . Good that your dad was there . Sinking my boat weighs on my mind at times. Some of the lakes I run are over 100 feet deep and no one is around for 50 miles .
If you're going to sink it you did it at a good time and good place .
14x8 Diamondback , 2.38-1 Stinger , 350 GM Marine , Sensenich 3 Blade "R" prop

rick
Site Admin

Postby rick » Tue May 13, 2014 4:50 pm

Bob in Canada wrote:Some of the lakes I run are over 100 feet deep and no one is around for 50 miles .
That would definitly take the fun out of it Bob.

Glad it worked out to the good for you Dalton...I've sunk a few myself.

Rick

Dalton S.
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Dalton S. » Tue May 13, 2014 5:57 pm

Even in the 7 foot of water it was scary. And it was a little heart breaking to see 2 years of hard work in the water like that. But after 4 oil changes, bend the rudder stick back strait, going through the fuel system and getting the inch of mud out of the bottom of the boat, she's Gana clean up good.
Attachments
image.jpg

Cowboy Rock
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby Cowboy Rock » Tue May 13, 2014 7:54 pm

Glad it worked out for ya Buddy,,,

Its not if, but when, you SINK it,,,

You done good and in shallow water,,,

Now you wont make that mistake again,,,

Slide safe my friend,,,

Cowboy r
Wet Dreams Too,,,

14 ft. Panther,,, 370ci SBC, 72 in Whirlwind Whispertip, Line-X-350 X bottom,,,

"Full bloodied Dog hunting man"

Dry Branch, Ga.

Thats how I roll,,,

jamesw245
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby jamesw245 » Tue May 13, 2014 9:10 pm

Don't sweat it. In airboats there are folks that have sank one and folks that are fixin to. Thank goodness we got radtech in a big high sided boat lol. You got a cool looking boat Dalton.

darrell
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby darrell » Tue May 13, 2014 10:47 pm

Hey don't feel bad I sunk mine the first day out after building it for a year it happens it sucks you learn what not to do in that situation but you got that past you like said before there are those that have sunk and those that will you will be laughing about it soon enough
if you argue with an idiot who is the real idiot
12x7 traditions hull Moore built av540 74" ww

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Bruce » Wed May 14, 2014 12:16 am

Glad it aint happened to me YET
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby akblackdawg » Wed May 14, 2014 1:12 am

You guys in Florida take sinking one as pretty casual. You have a lot of shallows to run in, and if deep, still shallow compared to other places where it can be really deep. Can't afford to sink one up here, most rivers are really ripping along very fast, boats will tumble downriver until in a log jam or something, tideal areas i run may be only inches deep, but 6 hrs later may be 30 or more feet deep and running fast, letting all that water flowing either in or out of the bays. Also most rivers are glacerial, and very cold, even on a warm day, hypothermia sets in quickly. In addition, rivers carry thick glacerial silt, if fully dressed and fall in a glacier river, silt is quickly built up in the cloth, weighting you down to where even the best of swimmers sink. I've had 2 mishaps at the mud bank boat launch we use, where the transome got under water and swamped the back, rolled over boat on the trailer, have to really be careful, 4x4 a necessity. Just thought I'd share the differences, I'm sure there are places in florida that are equally as hazaderous in the event of a sinking, any of them can go bad in a heartbeat, and a unexpected swim can turn into a life or death situation. Be careful friends. Bud
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

Eric Kimmel
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Eric Kimmel » Wed May 14, 2014 4:55 am

it happens so fast glad you got out okay

jamesw245
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby jamesw245 » Wed May 14, 2014 6:21 am

Yep they go down quick for sure I put our american flag theme boat in 9 foot on the river on July 4th of all days. One guy sank his in a local lake and the depth finders showed 42 foot good thing he knew some divers.

Muddyduck
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Muddyduck » Wed May 14, 2014 11:49 am

akblackdawg wrote: I'm sure there are places in florida that are equally as hazaderous in the event of a sinking, . Bud

Like 8 foot gators considering you for their next meal
Many could live on what we have wasted.

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mojoe » Wed May 14, 2014 1:23 pm

akblackdawg wrote:You guys in Florida take sinking one as pretty casual. You have a lot of shallows to run in, and if deep, still shallow compared to other places where it can be really deep. Can't afford to sink one up here, most rivers are really ripping along very fast, boats will tumble downriver until in a log jam or something, tideal areas i run may be only inches deep, but 6 hrs later may be 30 or more feet deep and running fast, letting all that water flowing either in or out of the bays. Also most rivers are glacerial, and very cold, even on a warm day, hypothermia sets in quickly. In addition, rivers carry thick glacerial silt, if fully dressed and fall in a glacier river, silt is quickly built up in the cloth, weighting you down to where even the best of swimmers sink. I've had 2 mishaps at the mud bank boat launch we use, where the transome got under water and swamped the back, rolled over boat on the trailer, have to really be careful, 4x4 a necessity. Just thought I'd share the differences, I'm sure there are places in florida that are equally as hazaderous in the event of a sinking, any of them can go bad in a heartbeat, and a unexpected swim can turn into a life or death situation. Be careful friends. Bud

I have never been to Alaska, but I think the difference is terrain driven. Seems way more dangerous up there. Here, it is very flat. If the water goes down a little, it may dry up completely for a very long way. That has led to most boats being focused mainly on running dry. Almost exclusively. There are frogging boats and show boats and family boats, but around here, they are all measured by how well they run dry. Not how well they float.

I don't think anybody would run most Florida boats in Alaska. But how many Alaska boats can out run a deer on dry land? Here that is so common we have a "hunt boat" class in the boat shows!
Airboating is like marriage: There are unlimited ways a person can be right, and somehow still be wrong at the same time!!

Bob in Canada
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Bob in Canada » Wed May 14, 2014 4:34 pm

Mojoe :
Good points . If I would have known a bit more when I bought my boat I wouldn't be running a FL style boat in the boonies of Northern Ontario Canada . It still is a hoot to use up here , so rare it's like having my own UFO . Some just love it , others hate it .
14x8 Diamondback , 2.38-1 Stinger , 350 GM Marine , Sensenich 3 Blade "R" prop

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mojoe » Wed May 14, 2014 5:50 pm

You sink one way up there and you're in real danger of freezing to death. Here it usually just hurts in the pride and the pocket.
Airboating is like marriage: There are unlimited ways a person can be right, and somehow still be wrong at the same time!!

ls1airboat
Southern Airboat Member

Postby ls1airboat » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:00 am

hell i have sunk mine twice and wrecked it twice.it was my first boat. i learned what not to do.. now i can feel what the boat likes and dislikes...forth boat later..i make sure i dont even scratch it lol.. :rebel:

Return to “Georgia Airboaters”