Insuring a swamp buggy

Swamp buggies...buildin'em & runnin'em
Debo75
Southern Airboat Member

Insuring a swamp buggy

Postby Debo75 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:50 pm

Like the title says, I'm looking for an insurance company to write me a policy on my buggy. Does anyone know of an insurance company that'll do it? Thanks in advance.
20'x8' GTO w/ MAS 509 BBC, 2.38:1 Stinger, 4 blade Power Plus.

rudee116
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Insuring a swamp buggy

Postby rudee116 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:33 pm

I would think you could get an "inland marine" policy like what we get for construction equipment. Not expensive at all. Any insurance agent that writes commercial policies should be able.to get it for you.
14' Don Davis w/ Upstack 0-540

When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic. — Benjamin Franklin

Debo75
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Debo75 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:34 pm

If anyone stumbles across this thread, I figured I'd update it with a progress report.

I tried to get an inland marine policy, every agent I spoke to said it might be possible as a rider to a general business policy, but not for an individual looking to insure a personal vehicle.

I have tried the following places and gotten No's....
Farmers/Foremost
Progressive
Amica
Markel
USAA
Hagerty
Geico
Chubb
Lloyd's of London
Sledsure out of NY

Most of these places will insure a 200hp Can-Am dune buggy for roughly $500 a year. Even in states where they're street legal! But they are balking about insuring a swamp buggy. The agents keep telling me that the issue is that "the buggy is amphibious, and they have policies for land vehicles, and policies for boats, but they don't know how to evaluate the risk of something that does both." :scratch:

The only place that seems remotely interested in insuring it, is Prime Insurance. But their prices are enough to make you gag. They want $2,000/yr for a $300k liability policy, and $1,500/yr for a $35k physical damage policy, with get this, a SEVEN THOUSAND dollar deductible.

This is crazy. It shouldn't be that hard to talk a company to take my money to insure me for something that is fairly low-risk. Anybody have any suggestions?
20'x8' GTO w/ MAS 509 BBC, 2.38:1 Stinger, 4 blade Power Plus.

Striker543
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Striker543 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:03 pm

A good insurance broker should be able to help. I would ask farmers or hunting guides for a recommendation for a broker.

Return to “Buggy Talk”